Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

DSC-F828 - Mode Selection Problems

I have owned my DSC-F828 for several years now and a few months ago it started behaving eratically when I change the mode setting. When I turn the dial on top of the camera to a setting, the camera does not hold that setting. It seems to be jumping randomly. I can play with the dial and get it to eventually work but it's getting worse every day.

I considered having it repaired but according to Sony, the repairs for this camera are at the cost of a flat fee of around $200 with no guarantee.

Has anyone else run across this problem??

Re: DSC-F828 - Mode Selection Problems

This sounds like the same problem I had with a Canon 35mm SLR a few years ago. A mechanical part underneath the mode dial broke so that the switch didn't stay where it was supposed to. I got it fixed for about $150, I think. But that repair shop is no longer in business and they didn't do Sony stuff anyway. I haven't heard about the same problem with Sony cameras. But I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen with other cameras.

If you like the camera and it does the job for you, $200 isn't terrible. On the other hand, you could also invest that $200 in a newer, better camera. The 828 is good. But Sony and other camera companies have a lot better stuff available now - both in terms of performance and image quality.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps I can nurse it along until I can replace it. I do like the camera but I really want to get more involved in photography and am looking to move into the DSLR world.

I like low-light and nature photography so I'm looking for recommendations.
    (fyi.. I'm budget minded)

Right now I am probably going to end up with a Canon (likely the xti) with a mid range telephoto (somewhere with a max range of 135 - 200mm) and fast prime lense (i.e. 50mm f1.2 or 1.4).

bhayes,
    I have been having the same problem with the mode selector. It started little by little and until recently, I had written it off as just me being too aggressive changing modes. But now it jumps from mode to mode when i turn it on and then try to switch modes, view the picture i just took, etc.
    I really love the camera and I am trying to become more proficient at photography. The $200 repair rate is pushing me toward getting the camera I really want. Canon eos 5d.
    I just joined photograpyreview.com and saw this thread. I know its been several months, but I've been searching for someone, anyone, with this unique problem. Couldnt find anyone anywhere, until now. I've even tried compressed air, thinking maybe its collected dust and needs a cleaning.
    I have a vacation in a few days and need my camera to behave. WE'll see.
    Good luck with your camera and if you find out any more info or insight into this unique problem, send me an email. bluelibra@verizon.net
    thanks,
    ck

I've had the same problem with my F828 a year+, and did buy another digital camera; Sony DCS-W55. The W55 certainly handy, but its not the F828. I was hoping someone would explain how that mode dial simply popped off for cleaning, as I suspect its just a case of some dirt/oil messing up the connections. Though I don't enjoy lugging the F828 around with me for extended periods, it is one terrific camera! tks

The problem with the mode dial continued and I was unable to determine the cause. I reluctantly sent it back to Sony to repair for $ 211.00-flat fee. I am basically using this camera as a prelude to purchasing a DSLR, so I was a little excessive changing modes to see how things work. Sony never really detected the cause of the malfunctioning mode dial, they just repaired it. I read through many blogs and forums on this issue and couldnt find any solid evidence that would indicate this is common w/Sony cameras. The camera takes beautiful pictures and, while $200 might seem steep to fix the problem, Sony makes a very durable product. For me it was a good investment, since I cant yet afford a DSLR and am gaining valuable experience with this impressive camera. I hope this helps with your situation and good luck! Oh and I dont know if you use your pop up flash, but I've purchased the Sony HVL-F32X external flash. The manual isnt very explanatory, but it is well worth the money for the performance. I'd recommend rechargeable batteries.
    ck:

I have been having the same problem for months. My camera has been in and out of the shop and is still not fixed. Did you send your camera to the Sony Repair Center, or somewhere else. Please advise. Thanks.

Thread Information