• 03-24-2008, 03:08 PM
    mstryda
    Does amperage really matter (NP-BG1)?
    I am looking at purchasing an additional battery for my little Canon Cybershot (pocket camera). I know it uses an NP-BG1 type G Battery. I noticed online there are varying amperages listed from 750-1500 mAh. Does it matter if it is higher or lower than the stock battery? Will a higher amperage hurt my camera? If there are no ill affects will the battery last longer with a higher aperage i.e. take more pictures? Also, will a charger be able to fully charge it or will it charge to the default of a stock battery? What are your opinions of using non-Sony (third party) batteries? Sorry if this is a dumb question or already been answered. Thanks in advance.

-E
    California
  • 03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
    rongarrett
    Re: Does amperage really matter (NP-BG1)?
    mAh is a designation of battery CAPACITY. As long as the replacement battery is of the proper voltage and fits the intended camera battery compartment/electrical socket it should be perfectly all right.

There is some debate as to whether one needs a charger to go along with the larger capacity battery. Seeing as how most chargers, {especially third party ones} are usually not expensive, I would tend to say get the new charger too. Another plus to getting a new charger is that you could charge your original battery at the same time as you charge the new one.

I don't think any camera manufacturer makes their own batteries, they are subbed out. That technically makes all batteries a third party item.