Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

a77 achilles heel

Well the rubber came out from around the front thumb wheel on my a77. I called Sony and it is now in route to Laredo Tx for repair. At least it's under warrenty. The piece looks fairly easy to break so it could be an achilles heel of sorts. Now I am glad I got the NEX 7 for back up. Also I still have the E5.
    If you can I would get an extended warrenty I see this as being a problem for many. I shoot a lot in the cold and that certainly doesn't help rubber.
    Oh well. I am glad it's now instead of next year or two.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Re: a77 achilles heel

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Maybe this is one of those early adopters penalties, you are a beta tester of sorts, hopefully they can fix this problem for future users. This grade camera doing that after less than 2 months - I say its manufacturing error. Did the rubber get exposed to any unique kinds of moisture?

You say rubber around the front control wheel - do you mean the seam in between the control wheel and the grip/grip sensor?
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Maybe this is one of those early adopters penalties, you are a beta tester of sorts, hopefully they can fix this problem for future users. This grade camera doing that after less than 2 months - I say its manufacturing error. Did the rubber get exposed to any unique kinds of moisture?

You say rubber around the front control wheel - do you mean the seam in between the control wheel and the grip/grip sensor?
    Charlie its almost like a small o ring with teeth on the outside that wraps around the wheel. I am sure my beta testing will lead to a change in wheel design. They will be getting a few returns I am sure. I don't mind testing it for them as long as they stand behind what they sale.lol
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Ahh - bummer. I hope they get the camera back to you quickly and the fix is a good one. I really want Sony's new stuff to be as awesome in the field as it is on paper.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks John I think its going to be a two week turn around time if they are true to their word.

Sony a99/a7R

Does this piece of rubber look like it is for better grip on the wheel or part of the weatherproofing? - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    Does this piece of rubber look like it is for better grip on the wheel or part of the weatherproofing? - Terry
    Now that it has came off it looks like for grip. The wheel is set back and can not be turned at all without the rubber, I can see this being a big problem thay are going to have to use a different type wheel or get use to changing a few.
    Don't they contact the Beta testers?

Sony a99/a7R

Bummer to hear about your issue Greg, I can definitely see this being something they'll need to address before the a99 hits the market, and hopefully before they ramp up production on too many more a77's.

It was interesting, but size and feel of the front/back dials on the a77 were some of the first things I noticed when picking it up. Smaller, lighter, just not as substantial as the a900, however I can't remember the a700's feel well enough now to compare there, but didn't remember feeling a difference moving up to the a900. However, they did work fine on the a77 for me in my limited use over the last week in cold/wet conditions...

Hope they turn it around quickly for you!

Thread Information