• 04-02-2011, 10:01 PM
    TimK
    A55 shutter speed with flash issue
    I purchased this camera about a month ago and have been trying to learn the thing every chance I get.
    One thing that is driving me crazy is that the shutter speed will not go higher than 1/160 if the flash is up. This is in "M" setting. Have I over looked something? This makes now sense to me at all, I have never had a camera that does this. If I put the flash down I can choose higher setting but I pop the flash up and it will automatically bring it back down to 1/160. Aarrrrrgh!!!! This is frustrating because I do like to fully open the stops, set a high shutter 1/250ish and use a flash for fill. I have not been able to do that with this camera and am second guessing my purchase.
    If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.
  • 04-03-2011, 06:28 AM
    OldClicker
    Re: A55 shutter speed with flash issue
    1/160 sec. is the flash sync speed for this camera - any faster and shutter is never all the way open so there would be part of the image that never sees the flash. I don't think that you will find any with a 1/250 sec. sync in this price range.

If you get one of the separate flashes (F42 or F58), you can use High Speed Sync (HSS). You will then be able to set the camera up to its fastest shutter speed (1/4000 sec. on the A55) and the flash will pulse for the entire time the curtain is open (which is, of course, about 1/160 sec.).

Terry
  • 04-03-2011, 07:19 AM
    TimK
    Thanks for that info. That is good news. :thumbsup:
  • 04-03-2011, 08:45 AM
    Anbesol
    theres also the F36 and the 3600 and the 5600...