Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: a33 on its way

a33 on its way

Ordered the a33 a little more then a week ago and its coming in two more days! I cant wait.
    I wanted a small camera and was about to pull the trigger on the two nex cameras but then this thing came out. I still want to get the nex 5 with a pan-cake lens but with this new camera I can use all my existing lenses with full auto focus and its still quite small.
    Last edited by LightBright; 09-06-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    -
    Please do not take my photo's. Thank you
    www.SammySoliman.Smugmug.com

Re: a33 on its way

Congrats! Have you seen this video on how quiet the shutter is on the SLTs? I think it was at about 30 sec when the shoot an A55 and a DSLR at 10fps. I anxiously await a report and some shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXA0mTZCQbI

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

niiice! def give us some feedback.

drg

Very curious about these as they bring back memories of other cameras with a non-moving mirror! Lots of advantages over other Evil cameras, particularly regarding focusing but I wonder if they will also have the half-stop or so of light drop off because of the partial mirror.

Canon abandoned the 'pellicle mirror' for that reason as well as some other including they were not a 'bright finder'. These have an EVF I understand that should remedy many of the issues, but I do wonder about the effect on lens and image?

I am looking forward to seeing results of your work with the new camera!!

Best wishes.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Congrats! Have you seen this video on how quiet the shutter is on the SLTs? I think it was at about 30 sec when the shoot an A55 and a DSLR at 10fps. I anxiously await a report and some shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXA0mTZCQbI

Terry
    Thanks, It will be here tomorrow and I will take some shots with it and post them, ahh I cant sleep im so excited! I heard the battery drains quickly due to the EVF so I received an extra battery pack. Its amazing how small the battery is compared to the standard alpha packs.

That video is very informative, the guy did a great job on explaining this camera.
    Last edited by LightBright; 09-08-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    niiice! def give us some feedback.
    Thanks, will do :thumbsup:
    -

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    Very curious about these as they bring back memories of other cameras with a non-moving mirror! Lots of advantages over other Evil cameras, particularly regarding focusing but I wonder if they will also have the half-stop or so of light drop off because of the partial mirror.

Canon abandoned the 'pellicle mirror' for that reason as well as some other including they were not a 'bright finder'. These have an EVF I understand that should remedy many of the issues, but I do wonder about the effect on lens and image?

I am looking forward to seeing results of your work with the new camera!!

Best wishes.
    I never used a camera with a transparent mirror before so its a little new to me. But will try to compare them to other camera's I have used in the past. Good thing its quieter than a dslr because I am going to cover some 9/11 memorials and in some areas, loud shutter sound's could become an issue.
    -

I only had a short time with this camera but I am sure its going to be a winner.

I got the a33v with the 18-55mm,3.5-5.6 lens.

The Pros

1. The camera it self is amazing. Its so small compared to the Sony a500 and surprisingly better built. For instance the body doesn't flex at all despite it being made of plastic.

2. I attached the heavy 70-200 2.8 lens on this little camera and it feels very secure even when the mount is holding all the weight.

3. Ergonomics is excellent, the EV button is exactly where I want it.

4. I like the fact that I can flip the screen in on itself to protect it.

5.The auto focus is the best I have ever used. All my lenses seem to get a booast in speed and accuracy.

6. I don't like to use burst modes, just single shot (even in sports) and I find lag time to be very low.

7. I have a Sigma 30mm f1.4 which has always back focused, I never used the lens very much since I found out it had back focus, but on the a33 I can easily shoot at f1.4 in manual focus and nail the focus nearly everytime. Must be something to do with the EVF because when I used my a700 or a500 in MF mode with the 30mm f1.4, I always missed focus.

8. I love the video mode and again the AF is extremely quick while in that mode.

9. One new feature I found to be useful was the button on the left side of the lens mount. This allows you to hold focus with any lens and recompose.

10. Another thing I like about the EVF is that it shows a generous amount of shooting information.

11. The EVF, although not nearly as good as clear as a ovf is very nice. I prefer the EVF over any OVF.

12. Quiet

13. To answer your question drg about the view finder. I used it in a dimly dark room, the frame rates slowed down, but the evf boosts the brightness to compensate and does a great job at it. If I were shooting with my optical finder camera, you would not get this boost in brightness in the view finder, and it makes it difficult to focus and compose. So there are trade offs, EVF in dim light is brighter however slows down, OVF in dim light lets in light as fast as the speed of light but it gets dim.

13. About ghosting. Some of you may know that people have claimed that the a33 and a55 have problems with clipped specular high lights in night scenes, they say there is a certain flare next to each clipped light source. I took some quick test shots which is still on my camera (ill try to post some better examples later), I tried to find ghosting and I have but its so insignificant you wont even notice it unless you magnify it 200%.and look for it. Even than it still looks natural. I was about to not by this camera because of this exaggerated claim, glad I went through with it.

The cons

1. Battery life is extremely short. A second battery is a must.

2. EVF has a bluish tint to it, you get used to it quickly. It is worth mentioning that they say its one of the best EVF on a still camera, so comparing it to a traditional optical view finder in clarity might be unfair.

Will post photos taken with the a33 later on, but right now....

Yes I'm addicted to beginner class cameras

Last edited by LightBright; 09-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    -

Looking good... Can't wait to play around with an A55.... I love my a700, and will be looking forward to the next offering in it's class from Sony... However, the a33/a55 series is looking pretty good..

- G

Thread Information