Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
    May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

70-300 G first impressions

I received my first G lens today, the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G SSM. I've been drooling over G glass ever since I had my Minolta QTSi and going ga-ga over the 85mm f/1.4 G.

The box scared me. It is really really big! The lens itself takes up half the length, and the other half holds the hood and pouch.

The only lens I have that I can compare it to is my beercan. As you can see, the G is chunkier but at 70mm it's a bit shorter. It also weighs more than the beercan so if you thought the beercan was heavy, look out!

Zoom the G out to 300mm and it grows to be a couple inches longer than the beercan. The beercan of course zooms internally.

Here's the kicker. Put on the included lens hood and it becomes monstrous.

It comes with a felt lined leather pouch.

The G is absolutely solid and the build quality is superb. It's like a luxury car of lenses. The zoom is tight enough that I don't think it'll creep much when carrying. Once you grab the large zoom ring (which is towards the front of the lens, and the focus ring is to the rear) and actually zoom it it is very smooth, though it takes a bit more force than other lenses.

The SSM focusing is incredibly quiet. I had to literally put my ear within a few inches to hear it. It's pretty fast too. I'd say a good bit faster than even the beercan despite it's smaller apertures (I can't say for sure though until I can get out and compare them in real life situations). SSM has something to do with it I'm sure, but the focus range limiter seems to really bring it to that next level by preventing focus hunting throughout the whole range.

AF full range, AF 3m to infinity, and MF are the three settings on the switch. No need to switch the camera's AF/MF switch. Also, the lens allows full time direct MF. That means you can manually focus at any time regardless of which mode it is in. If you are in one of the AF modes, it will AF again the next time you depress the shutter half way. The focus ring also does not move at all during AF. Additionally, there is a focus hold button on the side of the lens. a700 users (and a900 users I'm sure, but don't know about the others) can also go into the menu and change the focus hold button to be a DOF preview instead.

The lens is a good match for the a700 w/grip IMO. It's a little front heavy, but it feels comfortable when held in shooting position. Again, with the hood it looks nearly twice as large as without it.

I hope to find time this weekend to go out and put it through some real world uses.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this lens makes a perfect companion to the 16-80cz. They share the same 62mm filter diameter.

Re: 70-300 G first impressions

Nice acquisition... Definitely a bit jealous... Can't wait to see what kind of results you get from that lens once you start putting it to use...

- G

Also, the lens allows full time direct MF. That means you can manually focus at any time regardless of which mode it is in. If you are in one of the AF modes, it will AF again the next time you depress the shutter half way.
    I have been used to this in the Nikon gear I use, and I actually hate it - if your hand slips and hits the focus ring after the AF finds, then it adjusts focus through DMF. Having full time DMF engaged I've found to be way more problematic than helpful, and its only worsened by the fact that the zooms on the end and the focus on the front of the lens. However, its certainly a small price to pay to have such terrific optics and SSM.

I've been wanting to get this particular one, for its range/quality/price, but my main advantage I want it to have over the can is AF speed. Canuck - I ssume it should find focus quicker than an f/2.8 screw driven AF motor, please let us know what you think of the AF speed, and IF it does compare as such.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I haven't found full time MF on AF digital lenses a problem at all.
    But I too prefer the Zoom as the closest ring to the body, and focus further away.
    Problem with the lens, like the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400 is it's an external zoom, the lens length changes as you zoom, so if it's raining you drag water into the lens body as you zoom wider. Means you have to take more care in the rain than with an internal zoom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    I haven't found full time MF on AF digital lenses a problem at all.
    I think its a hit and miss problem. One of my colleagues shares my hatred of the full time DMF, but the rest aren't bothered by it at all.

Looks like I'll be headed out with it tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back with my findings, and hopefully a sample image or two.

Problem with the lens, like the Sigma 80-400 and Canon 100-400 is it's an external zoom, the lens length changes as you zoom, so if it's raining you drag water into the lens body as you zoom wider. Means you have to take more care in the rain than with an internal zoom.
    I think you meant it would pull rain in when you zoom in, it would push air out as it zooms wide. Still, don't know why anybody would plan to shoot in the rain, at least bring an umbrella!

Canuck, I am also particularly interested in how this compares to the 70-400 G, my hope is that its the same thing with 100mm cut off. So, you should pick that one up too and let us know how they compare! :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Canuck, I am also particularly interested in how this compares to the 70-400 G, my hope is that its the same thing with 100mm cut off. So, you should pick that one up too and let us know how they compare!
    I wish! I have actually been torn between the two for a while. I decided to go with the 300 because I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the 400. Plus the extra size and weight would probably cause me to leave it home more than I would with the 300.

Anyway, I did go out for a couple hours today with the G at the zoo. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

The hood is big, but probably the most effective hood I've ever used. It's even bigger than the hood on my buddy's Canon 100-400.

Zooming action was smooth, but it does take a bit getting used to the zoom ring being towards the front of the lens rather than the rear. After a while I got used to it and it wasn't an issue for me.

Focusing was near silent, and pretty accurate. Full time DMF didn't seem to be a problem for me turning the focusing ring unintentionally (besides mistaking it for the zoom ring). As far as focusing speed, it's not really a speed demon. I guess there is just no replacement for wide apertures. It is certainly a few levels above in speed than say the budget 75-300's however. Compared to the beercan I think they are pretty close in focusing speed. However, I feel I have a better chance at getting the shot with the G as the focus limiter really eliminated a lot of focus hunting (especially when shooting through fences and such) and the focus hold button was really handy too. I just wish there were a second focus hold on the top of the lens for when holding it in portrait position.

The bokeh is really good IMO. No complaints here.

So it would seem that the beercan gives the 70-300 a run for its money. However, the beercan suffers from terrible CA issues when there's high contrast lines in the image. The G optics however look to be superior. No CA, no softness, no vignetting. Just nice sharp images regardless of focal length and aperture. In no way did I push it to the limits today, but it seems like it would be quite difficult to find and exploit optical weakness in the G.
    Last edited by Canuck935; 07-19-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Hmm.. THANK you much Canuck, valuable information! I'm surprised that it isn't *significantly* faster than the beercan. Is it possible that an f/2.8 stop would give more focus speed advantage than SSM on an ~ f/5 lens? Whos the victor?

I wish! I have actually been torn between the two for a while. I decided to go with the 300 because I just couldn't justify the extra cost of the 400. Plus the extra size and weight would probably cause me to leave it home more than I would with the 300.
    I've been torn between this and some of the older Minoltas too, I've been looking at the 100-400mm APO. Its not SSM, but its terrific optics, great price (~$600), and its a lot smaller and more discreet than the big Gs.

However, the beercan suffers from terrible CA issues when there's high contrast lines in the image
    The only CA issues I ever have with the can is the purplish fringing, I can't recall having once had yellow or red or green fringing. It also usually only happens for me when its bright hot open sky mid-day sun, I wouldn't call it 'terrible' CA control, but when its there, its really there! Its also a lot more noticable using the A700 than the 5D, where its virtually nonexistent (smaller pixel density actually reduces CA).

Lets see some shots from your G! Give us bokeh shots too!! :9:

Hmm.. THANK you much Canuck, valuable information! I'm surprised that it isn't *significantly* faster than the beercan. Is it possible that an f/2.8 stop would give more focus speed advantage than SSM on an ~ f/5 lens? Whos the victor?
    I would have to conclude that f/2.8 > SSM > Screw Drive. So for a given lens at whatever aperture, SSM trumps screw drive. Given the same lens but f/2.8 aperture, that would trump SSM. A lot of this has to do with the sensitivity of the camera's AF sensors I suspect. The a700 and a900 for example, have sensors that work only with f/2.8 and larger apertures for even faster AF.

I've been torn between this and some of the older Minoltas too, I've been looking at the 100-400mm APO. Its not SSM, but its terrific optics, great price (~$600), and its a lot smaller and more discreet than the big Gs.
    True. SSM G was just too enticing to pass up.

The only CA issues I ever have with the can is the purplish fringing, I can't recall having once had yellow or red or green fringing. It also usually only happens for me when its bright hot open sky mid-day sun, I wouldn't call it 'terrible' CA control, but when its there, its really there! Its also a lot more noticable using the A700 than the 5D, where its virtually nonexistent (smaller pixel density actually reduces CA).
    Yes, the beercan purple fringing. As long as you recognize and avoid situations that would cause it then you may never see it. I love my beercan dearly, and I'm not letting go of it for now. However, there have been many times when I found myself not shooting because I knew I was in purple fringe territory.

Ultimately, for people out there that already have the beercan, the 4x cost of the G may or may not be worth it to you. I would say the G has the following advantages over the beercan:
    • Silent SSM
    • Focus Range Limiter
    • Focus Hold
    • DMF (depending on if you like it or not)
    • No CA or other optical flaws (at least none that I have found in my limited use)
    • 90mm additional on the long end
    • The most effective lens hood ever

The beercan has the following advantages over the G:
    • Constant f/4 throughout focal range
    • Lighter and smaller
    • Internal zoom

Lets see some shots from your G! Give us bokeh shots too!! :9:
    Well, I tried a couple last night but I wasn't happy with the pictures. Not that the G let me down in any way, but due to my own flaws in shooting and getting used to a new lens. I'll look again tonight or tomorrow and see if I end up posting anything. Otherwise it'll have to wait till the next time I get a chance to shoot.

DMF (depending on if you like it or not)
    You can also engage any lens attached to the A700 in DMF, once it finds focus it unlocks the focus ring. I think the difference is that the G has full time DMF (or, can you disable dmf? Focus lock button might be a solution too).

The problem I had with DMF may not exist with this particular lens anyway, on the Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5, the focus ring is *right* next to the zoom ring and its very easy to slip and hit it.

Well, I tried a couple last night but I wasn't happy with the pictures. Not that the G let me down in any way, but due to my own flaws in shooting and getting used to a new lens. I'll look again tonight or tomorrow and see if I end up posting anything. Otherwise it'll have to wait till the next time I get a chance to shoot.
    Okay, you have 36 hours to produce a bokeh photo! Otherwise you are AWOL!
    :9:
    Last edited by Anbesol; 07-20-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think you meant it would pull rain in when you zoom in, it would push air out as it zooms wide.
    Yes, I meant the barrel motion, not the focal length.

On my Canon 24-70 the barrel extends at shorter focal lengths - so I wasn't talking about the focal length just in case this was backwards like the Canon. Zooming on shortens that lens, and zooming out lengthens it. On the Canon 100-400 it's the other (right) way round.

Why shoot in the rain?
    Car rooster tails, more vibrant landscape colours as the air is cleared, and the scenery washed clean, veiled subtle tones in the distance, lots of reasons
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Great review Canuck, thanks for posting. Looking forward for your pictures.

Sure sounds good, I can hardly wait to see some photos. I can't afford anything like that now, but, when the house is finished, things may change

You all sure help my learning to be a photographer, Thanks

Phil

Yes, I meant the barrel motion, not the focal length.

On my Canon 24-70 the barrel extends at shorter focal lengths - so I wasn't talking about the focal length just in case this was backwards like the Canon. Zooming on shortens that lens, and zooming out lengthens it. On the Canon 100-400 it's the other (right) way round.

Why shoot in the rain?
    Car rooster tails, more vibrant landscape colours as the air is cleared, and the scenery washed clean, veiled subtle tones in the distance, lots of reasons
    Ah yes true, and how can we forget the lens which barrel starts extended, retracts, and extends again, as is the case with the Sony kit lens.

And - certainly you'd want to shoot with an umbrella in those rainy situations!

Off topic but, when are the brits going to get with the times and spell color properly!?

Okay, you have 36 hours to produce a bokeh photo! Otherwise you are AWOL!
    :9:
    Ohh!!

Ok, well here's 2 birdies from the zoo..
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information