Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

Just purchased a DSC-H2. Guess I didn't do enough research......just read on this site about the problem with the shutter button breaking.

Is this a problem that Sony has fixed, or should I be concerned.....and return the camera.......I have 10 days.

Thanks

Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

Did you get any help with this, Bruce? I know it's kind of late. But I'd post a comment on one of the reviews to see what kind of solution Sony has offered H2 owners.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm sure the H2 shutter "problem" is really an error in reporting - the shutter assembly is the same on the H1, H2, and H5, and it doesn't seem to be a common problem. I'm not claiming to be savy of every site out there, but certainly as an owner of an H1 and an H5 I've spent quite a bit of time talking to other sony photographers. I think that in this case, one unhappy person makes the most noise. The H2 is a capable and sturdy camera, no reason to take it back because of a couple of people's negative experience.

Erik.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushigaijin
    I'm sure the H2 shutter "problem" is really an error in reporting - the shutter assembly is the same on the H1, H2, and H5, and it doesn't seem to be a common problem. I'm not claiming to be savy of every site out there, but certainly as an owner of an H1 and an H5 I've spent quite a bit of time talking to other sony photographers. I think that in this case, one unhappy person makes the most noise. The H2 is a capable and sturdy camera, no reason to take it back because of a couple of people's negative experience.
    Erik-
    Thanks for replying and thanks for posting your H5 review.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Erik-
    Thanks for replying and thanks for posting your H5 review.
    My pleasure.

Erik.

My Sony DSC-H1 was sitting on the desk all alone for about an hour when all of a sudden I heard a slight noise and saw parts flying. It was the shutter button and spring! No on had touched the camera. Needless to say it will cost more to repair than the camera is worth.

I think Sony has big problems with DSC H1,2&5 series shutter buttons, mostly due to a conceptual error. These buttons are made of a very cheap plastic material, unacceptable for a Sony "Made in Japan camera". There are a lot of people around here complaining on the non-operating focus-lock or broken shutter buttons. I also experienced both of them and twice by now!
    I bought my H2 in june 2006 and after about 2 months the focus lock stopped working. After one more week I found the camera on my desk without the shutter button! Apparently no one touched it. I blamed it on my kids... After repair works in service focus-lock worked for no more than 30-50 photos and after that stopped. A month ago the problem with the broken button came again and the camera is back in service.
    I've experienced the same problem with the non-working focus locking when pressed halfway with a DSC H5 (a friend has one) so it's clear that they have a technical problem! I was happy (of course not for all guys here problems) to hear that someone else has the same problem as I thought I have a problem as a user. Meanwhile, I heard about another H2 with the same problem within my friends group!
    I really think about asking Sony to give me back the money or give me a new camera, assuming that they've solved the problem meanwhile.
    One more thing for Sushigaijin: These cameras really have problems. There are too many guys here that experienced them. Try to not blame it on the users anymore and start thinking that these cameras are too cheap to be as good as you claim!
    You can "meet" other "happy" guys here (fortunately here I found the link to this forum!): http://www.photographyblog.com/index...d_sony_dsc_h2/

Quote Originally Posted by STS707
    My Sony DSC-H1 was sitting on the desk all alone for about an hour when all of a sudden I heard a slight noise and saw parts flying. It was the shutter button and spring! No on had touched the camera. Needless to say it will cost more to repair than the camera is worth.
    I have a Sony DSC-H1 (made in Japan) just like yours and I find it a good camera. The shutter button looks fine (a little polished but fine) and I don’t see how it can fly out without some critical damage. I see a cartoon scene in your tales. lol

Unhappy Re: DSC-H2 Shutter Button Problem

Same problem for me. I have not dropped or misused my DSC-H2. It was sitting on a table at my daughter's birthday party and the button just popped off. This is too much of a coincidence that so many people are having problems with the button. My camera is less than a year old and is currently at Sony now to be fixed. I am waiting to hear from them as to whether or not they will repair it free of charge or if they plan on claiming "misuse" or "abuse" like they seem to be doing to other customers. This might be my last Sony.

All this time I was thinking it could have been my mistake or some sort of miss use, but I now confirm that there is serious problem with Sony H Series Shutter Button. Just last week, I walked into my flat to see a small little shiny thing on the floor and guess what, I just kicked it off thinking it to be some sort of fancy button from one of my wifes garments, just to realize later that it was actually the shutter button. To make things worst, my wife also found the same piece of button while I was not arround and threw it away thinking its some waste piece of plastic.

I will be taking my H2 to service center today, hoping it to be fixed by Sony Service Center. I found atleast a dozen such guyz who have had same problem. :-(

Just happened to me today. I took my camera out of the bag and the button had popped off. I'm just now out of warranty...hoping that Sony will cover! Does anyone know yet?

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_71
    I
    One more thing for Sushigaijin: These cameras really have problems. There are too many guys here that experienced them. Try to not blame it on the users anymore and start thinking that these cameras are too cheap to be as good as you claim!
    You can "meet" other "happy" guys here (fortunately here I found the link to this forum!): http://www.photographyblog.com/index...d_sony_dsc_h2/
    No doubt I've read probably a hundred complaints about the H series shutter, but how many thousands of cameras were sold? How many came back? I'm not trying to be sony's apologist, but I have a feeling that there are far more cameras out there without problems than with problems. That's all I'm trying to say. The internet makes small populations seem large, and concentrates unhappy customers. The happy ones have no reason to post a thread about their shutter buttons. A weak spot, for sure - but no reason to avoid the cameras altogether.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

here, here, i'm a proud owner of the sony h5, coming close to 4000 exposures and no problems with the camera at all.almost glad i did not read the horror stories before buying this camera,or else i would have chosen some other brand,and would have lost the benifits i have accustomed to with this model,( my two bits ).

I need help I have the Sony DSC H2 and the shutter, just broke. I have taken about 4000 pictures with this camera with no problems. I picked it up the other day at the shutter button had come off, and just like I read above it took about 30 more pictures know it is locked up. They want 250.00 to repair it is out of warranty by 4 months. Does any one know where i can get the spring? Or who could fix it at a more respobile cost?

Thanks Christina

Yea... I've had mine for right at a month over its warranty now and it just broke today. I'm glad i read this tho, i was blaming the spirits of the cemetery I was in when the button just came off in my hand. I don't have the cash to send it off and get repaired and from what i read it sounds useless if it's just going to break again. So I guess I'm stuck using a broke Roxas for a while...i just hope i don't lose the button.:mad2:

My camera was in its camera bag when the shutter button came off. It was 5 days after warrenty - the 2nd day of my vacation in Guatemala. I spent lots of time on Sony chat and phone customer service - frustrating lack of customer oriented service. I did find out the plastic replacement part is $18.61 (Release Assembly) and can be ordered from Sony parts 1-800-222-7669. Not clear that instructions for installing are come with the part (has any one found these instructions or reinstalled sucessfully??). I tried their chat room (useless), they just refered me to Sony Flat rate service for $181 repair. Then I called their "Customer Relations Dept" also 1-800-222-7669 and got a case number. They said couldn't do anything unless I could find my purchase receipt (I'm looking for my COMPUSA receipt, credit card receipt is not enough), its close to warrenty and the camera does not show physical damage. One final option is to write their Sony Electronics
    Attn: Executive Review Committee
    12451 Gateway Blvd.
    Fort Myers, FL 33913
    I'm going to do that and ask that they stand behind their cameras with customer service. I'll let you know the results. For those that say the shutter button is not a problem - knock on some wood and good luck !!!
    Last edited by T-Experience; 01-25-2008 at 01:50 PM.

I did it! I bought the part for $26 and my husband was able to replace the shutter button. Amazingly, I had googled this issue last week and saw the original post on 1-25 and thought "Just GREAT!". I was not willing to pay the $181 to fix it! It did not come with instructions but my hubby figured it out. The only thing he had issues with is when trying to pop it in, he kept loosing his grip on the part. He used a balloon, yes a balloon for a super grip to pop it in -- worked. I'm so glad! My camera was just over a year old! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at jbinnix78@embarqmail.com

-J

Well , my button broke off to ! ! ! I blamed my wife .Now I know I was wrong !
    Would you tell me where to buy the replacement part ? Thanks in advance.

I both the shutter button.Now the problem is how to put it in. I prayed the broken one with a small screwdriver and broke a small piece of it. It is designed to be inserted and turned a bit clockwise in place , but there are parts under it that don’t allow that. I opened the camera and got scared to disassemble .It is jammed with parts.
    Why Sony designed this button so fragile ?There is so much technology in this camera. Not that they are not capable. My answer is --INTENTIONALLY- so you throw it away and buy another one. Well not Sony this time !
    If anybody knows how to insert that button please let me know !

hi does anyone know wehre to get this friggen Shutter Release Button for the dsc-h2. ive had it since summer 06 its sorta bin threw alot prob about 12 or more ww2 re-enactments and a trip the france and italy and now the button just randomly poped off. need the button soon i have my eagle scout ceremony in a few weeks and prom!!! need help fast!! thanks
    kilroy

wait i found a place but just want to make shure its the right accessory # X21083252 before i buy it, thing cost 18 bucks for crap plastic:mad2:

Release Assembly) and can be ordered from Sony parts 1-800-222-7669.

G_H

Hi,

I just ordered a refurbished H2 from Sony's website (SonyStyle) for 200 bucks.

Thought it was a good deal, maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones.

Anyway, I was wondering what's the point of replacing a part prone to failure with the same thing?

Is it possible to replace the original shutter button with something more durable?

G_H

BTW, if there is no permanent fix, like replacing the shutter button with something built to last, then here is a link that tells where to buy one cheap AND how to install it.
    http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...release_button

.Tanks for the info. I’ll try it and let you know the result. By the way I use a paperclip to take pictures as a temporary fix to the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information