Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Thread: 5D lens.

5D lens.

a while back i picked up the minolta maxxum 5D, been loving it very much - and primarily using it with a prime 50 1.7 lens. But, i'm feeling a bit limited with my current lenses, just being the kit and the prime. I want something A) Reasonably priced, im not a bachelor so i dont have cash flow ;), and B) universal, im not a fan of changing lenses often and im a pretty dynamic shooter. most importantly, the new lens needs to do well with macro shots. ive been looking around a bit and it seems the tamron 28-200 may be the one for me, but with a magnification of 1:4, hmmm.....

Re: 5D lens.

gee thanks guys! you think so! ;)

LOL, I never saw this question when it was originally posted. All the KM threads seem to get pushed down the line quick with no responses to bump it up. This new forum should help there.

As for your situation, I always suggest one lens to anyone that owns a KM SLR. That is the 70-210 f/4. It has constant aperture, is heavy, great bokeh, contrast, color, and sharpness. However, it still has a 1:4 macro capability, and min focus at 3.6 feet. Combined with your kit lens and the 50 1.7, you would have wide to moderate tele covered, as well as low light. That's the combo I have, and a 28 2.8.

I am attatching 2 pics to give you an idea of a macro from the 70-210 f/4.

The second two pics are of lowlight (theatre) and a tiger, both at 210, theatre is at f/4 and the tiger is at f/5.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5D lens.-pict0356.jpg   5D lens.-pict0357.jpg   5D lens.-pict0368-1.jpg   5D lens.-pict0174_filtered1.jpg  

wow! interesting, because honestly, i was checking that lens out myself. I was trying to talk myself out of the tamron 28-200 because i knew that minolta 70-210 f/4 would be great, but the size of the 28-200 and particularly the fact its all in one package had me glued to the tamron. i might even end up getting both..... hmmm...

appreciate the input - glad to hear that, i had actually decided against the 70-210 but i think you changed my mind ;)...
    Last edited by Anbesol; 04-05-2006 at 06:12 PM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MINOLTA-MAXXUM-A...ayphotohosting

i just found out minolta has two different models of these - is this the one youre talking about???

Yeah, that's the one.

Suggest you also consder the Tamron 28-300 which will give you more reach. Check posts by Jim NAZ at DPR -- he is getting good results see http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17918451. I have also been impressed by the little I have seen of the Minolta 18-200 which obviously gives considerably more width. Some distortion is typical with such lenses but is easy enough to correct.

the tamron 28-300 is a bit out of my present price range, just bought a car . that extra 100mm isnt incredibly important to me either - i rarely use such telephoto lengths.

Nice shots specially the Tiger, I also have 5D and will try it out with this lens. I am currently working on my Macro shooting as I have done a lot of landscapes and travel photos before. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information