Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

New Alpha A-100 proud onwer

Hello, thanks to Photo-John's pro review (I have seen his pictures before on mtbr.com) I took the decision to get the Sony A-100 camera (between the Sony and the XTi). It's my 1st DSLR, and I'm very happy with it.

I have one quick question: I don't have a card reader. Is there a big risk in downloading the pictures from the camera to a laptop, or viewing the pictures on a tv? I've been told that if there's a blackout while the camera is connected to a device (pc, tv) the camera can die... Is this a real risk, or a myth? I don't think it would happen with a laptop because it's powered by a battery.

Thanks all of you for this great source of information, you guys are doing a great job:thumbsup:

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: New Alpha A-100 proud onwer

First of all, welcome to the club! Did you pick up the kit or buy a lens separately?

As for the camera connected to the computer question, I haven't heard of that issue. I don't think that's a really big risk to the camera. If the usb loses connection from the computer from loss of power I think it would be the same effect as unplugging the usb cable. I think the real issue is if the memory card is being accessed when the power/connection goes out. That can cause corrupt files and data loss. Same issue if you were using a card reader though.

For my PC I have a battery backup system that gives me about 10 minutes worth of battery power if the electricity goes out. Laptop like you said will just use it's battery. Also for my laptop I bought a PCMIA compact flash reader. It was like 10 or 15 bucks. It stays in the PCMIA slot at all times. I would recommend getting a reader of some sort. That way you don't have to worry about draining the camera's battery anytime you want to transfer images.

Re: New Alpha A-100 proud owner

I got the kit lens (18-70mm). This was probably what made me get the Sony instead of the Canon: good review from Photo-John (on the lens), 18mm, and the fact that I had an old Sigma 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5 for Minolta, and another 35-80mm cheap lens.
    I wouldn't have gotten the kit lens on the Rebel xti.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Yeah the kit lens is quite good despite the all-plastic construction. Like you said it also offers more focal range over Canon's kit lens. You can probably turn that 35-80 (kit lens on old film SLR) into a paperweight, which is what has become of mine. Happy shooting and don't forget to share with us!

Welcome to the Sony Alpha 100 group! I never leave home without it. It's a great camera. The good thing about a small group is that you get to know everyone. So yeah, don't forget to share.

Photo-John, does take great pictures!

More eagerness than skills.. rzozaya1969's Avatar

Me too, I've just bought the camera (also thanks in part to Photo John, I guess I'll send him part of the bill ;) ).

I'm just charging the battery and going to read the manual, tommorow I'll test it a bit.

Yep I stumble to this group looking for the a100. I chose the a100 cause i have some lens from my old minolta lens. The fun lens and stuff!!! But this group has helped me tremendesly. I am in the experimenting stage. Learning all the features to the camera and the lens. Welcome to the group!!!

marcie

I just got the Sony A100 too! It was my christmas present from my hubby! I also got the kit. I am loving it!

Amber
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AmberC
    I just got the Sony A100 too! It was my christmas present from my hubby! I also got the kit. I am loving it!

Amber
    Wow, that's a nice Christmas present.

Thread Information