Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

DSC-H5 Battery problem

I currently own a DSC-H5. It is 6 month old. Using the Cybershot rechargable batteries I am only able to get around 30 pictures before they are dead. I have three sets and all die at the same rate. I have installed standard alkeline batteries and had better shooting time. as is the case with all types of batteries, if I leave them in the camera with the camera turned off, they run down to empty even without using the camera. Is anyone else experiencing battery issues with the H5 like what I have just described. Could there be something shorting out the batteries inside the camera?

Re: DSC-H5 Battery problem

Hi dogwood, welcome to the forums.

The H5 should be able to take several hundred unflashed photos with a new charge on new NIMH batteries. The amount of flash photos will be smaller, and battery life is also shortened by using the image stabilization and the focus mode (continuous/monitor/single, in order of drainage.) Using the large LCD will also take minutes off the battery life, the viewfinder is more energy efficient.

The H5 does have a battery bug, but it does not effect battery life. The H5 battery indicator is inaccurate - mine reports batteries at half full after about ten minutes of shooting - I can then continue to shoot for an hour or more (I haven't timed it, but I've never killed a fully charged set of batteries in one day without taking tons of flash shots) before the battery indicator changes to 1/4 charge, then lasts another half hour or so before the batteries actually die. The batteries' actual life is average, but the battery indicator would have me beleive that my batteries went into the camera half dead.

NIMH batteries DO lose charge over time, even if they are not used. I have read estimates of 1% or more per DAY. That, combined with occasional use, make using last week's batteries a dubious idea. I have a one hour charger, two sets of AA will last me through any one day of shooting - I have yet to kill two sets, even with a lot of flash work. I just put the batteries on the charger when I wake up - plenty of time to charge as I get dressed, take a shower, etc.

hope this helps!
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Has anyone else found a solution to the battery life problem? I have tried three different brands of rechargeable batteries, and NONE last for more than 1/2 an hour of shots. I can't even make it through a soccer game without the batteries dying, it's ridiculous! I am leaving for vacation in a week and was hoping someone would have a solution to me having to recharge batteries every single day. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

My guys i have had the H5 since it it came out. The battery problem is the worse for this camera. The way i get around it is by setting the LCD Backlight to normal. Having it on high really drains the batteries. Turning off the Finder is also a great way to same battery life. I have to say that the best way to get around this problem is to just buy a couple more sets of Sony Ni-MH batteries with its charger. I have four sets of 2500 mAh. Enough to get me through the day. I numbered each one so that i wont make the mistake of putting a used one with a fully charged one. I have tried other batteries from different companies and these Sony batteries are the best i have used. The others have had a really short life span.
    The Sony DSC-H5 cost alot of money and its a great camera so i just gave up complaining and tried to live with it. After all a have taken 8 thousand great pictures with this camera.

I 've noticed the same problem with my NI-MH batteries as well and they are the 2600 models,but its true on using the lcd instead of the view finder will drain quite fast,i use my focus mode set to monitor, but i wasn't aware of the charged stored batteries losing power everyday sitting in my camera bag,but i also have 5 sets to play with,when shooting at night,and having the camera set at manual,after each shot i will turn off the camera,make my lighting adjustments,then turn it back on since the camera remembers the last settings,other than the focus,( just need to remember your focus range ) the batteries really last a long time,in fact at times the power indicator will go back up.my original sony batteries won't even hold a charge after turning on the camera,i've gone totally duracell NI-MH's.
    Nikon D300
    11mm-16mm tokina f2.8
    18mm-55mm
    55mm-200mm vr.
    Nikon F65
    28mm-80mm
    28mm-70mm
    Sony H5 p&s
    1.7 tele lens
    nikon sb-800
    nikon sb-600

I would like to thank you all, for the confirmations. I experience the same problem with Battery Life. I use the Sony 2000 thru 2700 as well as others,and do not see much of a difference. I err in all area of limiting life so I will just man up and keep clicking. Thank you again. Dave

Unhappy Re: DSC-H5 Battery problem

Thanks for the back light settings change. I set it to normal. This problem is a real irritant and I have been working on a solutions for months, researching batteries and other sources of power. I even bought the external power supply that sony makes AC-LS5 this is an adapter that plugs into the wall. Then I built a external connector (works with AC-LS5 connector) that allows me to use D batteries. The adapter connects differently inside the camera and runs on 4.1 volts so it didn't work well and the D NiMh batteries are heavy. I also overcharge them.

Care must be taken not to overcharge the batteries, there is a lot of info of overcharging the batteries too. I have had a bit of success taking the batteries out sooner than the charger required but this is tricky. I'm considering to put 3 in an adapter outside the camera. Don't do this unless you have a good idea of what you are doing.

this vacation I'll try alkaline batteries, they have a higher voltage than the NiMh. To say the least I'm disappointed in Sony.

The camera's flash is also too strong. You can play with the EV setting on flash or build your own diffuser that can be made to fit in front of the flash use a small piece of plastic and some white paper glued to the plastic. Works great but I lost it so I have to make another one.

Smile Re: DSC-H5 Battery problem

looks like I have found a good solution to the battery problem. Buy NiZn Rechargeable Batteries instead of NiMh batteries. These batteries have 1.6V much better than NiMh 1.2V. They sell them on amazon. I contacted Sony and are waiting for an answer. The newer cameras use a lithium-ion battery. Sony has not acknowledged the problem as far as I know.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGenix-ZR-.../dp/B0029NZVZ0

Smile Re: DSC-H5 Battery problem

I'm selling a new Sony Camera Battery, NP-FG1.
    It is compatible with most past and present camera models.
    It goes for around $30-50 retail.

Follow this Ebay information if interested...
    Seller- BGar15
    Item Number- 170649394149

Hello! Renewable energy sources are a very promising niche. I try to regularly invest in projects related to renewable energy if they are really promising.
    Recently, I also bought myself one very cool thing. I'm talking about portable solar panel
    You can take it with you wherever there is a lot of sunshine and thus generate energy. This is a wonderful invention!

Thread Information