Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Smile [Sony Nex-5r] I've to chose a lens

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm new of this forum, I'm italian but I recently moved to Australia; I'm an amateur photographer and a chef.

I'm the happy owner of a Sony NEX-5r, actually I have a standard 18-55mm and I would like to get a powerful zoom, so I was wondering to know if, buying an adapter, the model below has a good image stabilisation system and if it's compatible with my camera.

DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Lens (200$)

It's very important to have a good stabilisation system to me, I found on a website a link with some comparison.

If you go to Lenshero and search for the model of my camera ,you can see that there are models which have a stabilisation system and other models that don't have it.

Please could someone give me suggestion of what I could buy spending an affordable price?

I would love to buy a Sony DT 18-200mm but the price is a little bit hight.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Matteo

Re: [Sony Nex-5r] I've to chose a lens

Quote Originally Posted by losceriffo View Post
    Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm new of this forum, I'm italian but I recently moved to Australia; I'm an amateur photographer and a chef.

I'm the happy owner of a Sony NEX-5r, actually I have a standard 18-55mm and I would like to get a powerful zoom, so I was wondering to know if, buying an adapter, the model below has a good image stabilisation system and if it's compatible with my camera.

DT 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Telephoto Lens (200$)

It's very important to have a good stabilisation system to me, I found on a website a link with some comparison.

If you go to Lenshero and search for the model of my camera ,you can see that there are models which have a stabilisation system and other models that don't have it.

Please could someone give me suggestion of what I could buy spending an affordable price?

I would love to buy a Sony DT 18-200mm but the price is a little bit hight.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you, thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Matteo
    Matteo,

The DT 55-200 is an A-mount lens (as you know since you mentioned needing the adapter) and no A-mount lens has stabilization since the cameras they normally fit (DSLRs) have the stabilization in the body. The lenses for the NEX (E-mount) are listed on this page and the stabilized ones will say, "Optical Steadyshot".

α NEX Lenses | Sony | Sony Store USA

btw- Welcome to PR! Can't wait to see some images from the NEX.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

First of all, welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com! I look forward to seeing your photos - especially if you take good food pictures. I am one of those idiots who takes pictures of all my meals and I definitely appreciate a good food photo

I don't think buying the DT 55-200mm lens is a good idea. First of all, since the Sony Alpha DSLRs all have built-in image stabilization, none of the A-mount lenses are image stabilized. So if you want image stabilization you're going to have to stick with E-mount lenses. Also, it seems silly to me to buy a larger A-mount lens and adapter for your compact NEX-5R camera. I would recommend you stick with the smaller E-mount lenses that are made for your camera.

I know it costs a lot more than you planned to spend, but I think the E-mount 18-200mm OSS lens is the right one for you to buy. I've used it and it's an excellent lens, with great image stabilization. It's also reasonably compact and then you wouldn't need to change lenses at all.

The other option is the Sony E-mount 55-210mm OSS zoom. I've also used that lens and I didn't love it. It gets the job done but it's bulky - especially if you're carrying it with the 18-55mm lens. The other thing I didn't like is the out-of-focus quality of the photos. The "bokeh" is not that great. However, at US $350, it is a lot more affordable than buying the 18-200mm.

No matter what you do, don't buy a Sony A-mount lens. That just doesn't make sense - unless you're buying one of the high-end, expensive ones. For your purposes now, I think the E-mount 18-200mm is worth waiting a bit and saving your money. It's a much better lens in every respect than your other options.

I know the
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Hey OldClicker and Photo-John,
    thanks a million for your warm welcome, I do appreciate your kindness and I'm happy of being a member of this community.
    Taking a look at Us Sony store and reading carefully John's comment I think I will save some money for a native E-mount lens 18-200 OSS.
    I love taking pictures of sport events and birds flying.
    I've a Panasonic FZ-18 that has an excellent zoom and stabilisation system; but it's good only between ISO 100 and 200: due to the small sensor it's almost impossible taking (and making) great shots in low light's condition.
    Nex-5r is a step forward, even if it's a para professional camera, it's possible to have great results both in low light's condition and in night pictures.
    Thanks John for being so clear about A-mount lens, and stabilisation.

I've some picture about food, and I will post some of them very soon, for now, if you want to take a look to some of my photos, you could go to my personal National Geographic Gallery

Matteo Rossi Member Profile -- National Geographic Your Shot

P.S: my english is not great, my apologises; I'm working on it.

I've another question, what about this model?
    Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 III Di VC

I've seen on a website that it should have a good stabilisation system, what do you think?
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony-e

The other lens, that John suggested to me is reviewed here:

Sony DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3

What is your opinion?

Tamron is 200$ less than Sony original Lens.
    What kind of differences they have?

Thank you very much again.

Matteo

Though I haven't used this Tamron I have used a few in the past. Most often the biggest difference will be in build quality and focus performance. Also Bokeh. You might read some reviews here and at Amazon. If it were me I would spend the extra and get the Sony.
    My son has the NEX 5r. It's a great little camera you will enjoy it. I agree not to buy A mount lenses unless you plan an A mount camera down the road. The cheaper adapter LA-EA1 for the A mounts really isn't any good. But the LA-EA2 is awesome and I think A mount lenses with it focus better the E mount lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by losceriffo View Post
    I've another question, what about this model?
    Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 III Di VC

I've seen on a website that it should have a good stabilisation system, what do you think?
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC Sony-e

The other lens, that John suggested to me is reviewed here:

Sony DT 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3

What is your opinion?

Tamron is 200$ less than Sony original Lens.
    What kind of differences they have?

Thank you very much again.

Matteo
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thank you very much Greg for your clear explanation; I will go for the Sony, even if it costs twice the price of my camera.
    I agree, Nex-5 is a great camera.
    You gave me a great help in this confusing word of lenses!
    Thanks again

Matteo

Your welcome and be sure and hang around and share some pictures and thoughts on the camera and lens. Write us up a review or two.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Of course I will; I've a problem with my english: I feel like is not good enough to avoid grammatical mistakes. In my native language, I used to do several reviews about phone and smartphones; this is a field that I really love.
    In case I decide to make a review about my NEX-5, could you please correct my draft before I post it?
    I have some great shoots made during the last weeks that I think you could like.
    I'm going to post them soon.

Yes just drop me a PM.

Sony a99/a7R

Sony Nex 5r Ive to chose a

*то хорошая новость. Особенно радует "The DSLR-A100 camera body will be available for about 900" -- интересно, как это скажется на евреях? То есть на стоимости корпуса EOS 30D
    . .

Thread Information