Slowness of site using Internet Explorer...

I've noticed that this message board is very slow to load while using Microsoft Internet Explorer. As an example, I'm accessing this page using IE 6.028 on a corporate LAN, and the top two sections (Search + search box and title, as well as the the banner ad), load up very quickly, however the "meat" of the message board (everything below the horizontal line) take anywhere between 5-20 seconds to load up. This is for each and every page visited on the message board. I've also noticed the same thing while accessing the page from my home internet connection (Cox cable internet).

As an aside, I've viewed this same message board at home utilizing the Mozilla Firefox web browser (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) and the entire site is super quick to load (although to log in using Firefox, I must log in, then hit the back button as for some reason, Firefox doesn't handle the redirect after logging in very well.)

I'd like to just make the operator of this site aware of this and perhaps suggest inquiring with the makers of vBulletin to see if there is a fix for this apparent slowness while using Internet Explorer. Perhaps there is a fix with Microsoft that I'm not utilizing on the computers that I access the site from.

Great site though! I enjoy looking at people's photographs and submitting my own for review. Thank you for providing this space for us to provide valuable feedback to each other.

Regards...Nate

Re: Slowness of site using Internet Explorer...

This problem is being investigated by the engineers.

Thank you Nate. As Peter said, the engineers are checking into the issues with page loads. It is affecting all of the CR sites.

I forwarded your post to engineering so they have the information from the explanation of your experiences.

We appreciate you taking the time to write in detail.
    Lara

Thanks folks for taking the time to look into this. I'm just trying to get my money's worth from my cable company since I'm paying for high speed internet. HAHA!

--Nate

I received word late last week that the engineers have begun working on projects that will help to markedly improve load times and other issues that seem to be causing some problems. It will take a little time, but you will see these improvements soon.

Oh, and I hear you about the high speed internet costs!
    Lara

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    I received word late last week that the engineers have begun working on projects that will help to markedly improve load times and other issues that seem to be causing some problems. It will take a little time, but you will see these improvements soon.
    YEAH!!!!! YEAH!!!!!
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Well I am all for that. I know that even with DSL It would sometimes take over 30 seconds to load a page even without pictures. I have cabel now, but I haven't really had a chance to try that out cuz the processor in my main computer burnt out so I have been religated to an older 450mghz AMD K6 computer. I have a new Athlon XP coming in the mail soon though and then we will see what this cabel can really do.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Quote Originally Posted by almo
    Well I am all for that. I know that even with DSL It would sometimes take over 30 seconds to load a page even without pictures. I have cabel now, but I haven't really had a chance to try that out cuz the processor in my main computer burnt out so I have been religated to an older 450mghz AMD K6 computer. I have a new Athlon XP coming in the mail soon though and then we will see what this cabel can really do.
    The problems are on our end. We have some fixes that will be going into effect, in steps, soon. We should all see some dramatic performance improvements when the changes are made.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The problems are on our end. We have some fixes that will be going into effect, in steps, soon. We should all see some dramatic performance improvements when the changes are made.
    YEAH!! YEAH!!

;)
    I take it this applies for all CR.com sites?
    Thanks for letting us know John!

Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

learning member

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I hope those engineers aren't done yet!
    Even though I have dial up, I don't think that I should have to hit refresh button to jumpstart pages that stop loading.
    I posted on Janies "I got yelled at today" thread and had to resize my moniter up from 800x600 to 10x7 whatever and could barely see the edges of the page.
    Its a great site PJ and you get a gold star for job well done!
    The technical side gets CTO! (cuss to often)
    Mark.

Thread Information