Excuse me while I burn in the sky Clicker's Avatar

Question PM's malfunctioning? (read receipts)

I've got some PM's ( not pms) that went out, the recipient replied and it still shows that those messages have not been read...

whats up with that?

how do you know if someone read your pm or not?

shall I post on a thread to ASK if they got it?

lol...

Rachel

What happens when you hit a Thousand? Should I watch for Balloons?

You'll never know whether they read it, because read receipts can be cancelled, it's the same with regular E-mail. I think it's a good thing, since there are people who don't like to be 'tracked' like this.

Kit asked this question of me yesterday Rachel. It could be as Elysian states, and it could also be security settings on your computer.

There are times I receive responses with no confirmation as well, but I haven't questioned whether the person sending the message confirmed or not.

Kit pm'd me and I acknowledged that I had read the message a few times in a row. It didn't register to her that I had confirmed reading the messages.

It's not something we have exactly pinpointed, but one of these two reasons are probably the cause.
    Lara

True.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    You'll never know whether they read it, because read receipts can be cancelled, it's the same with regular E-mail. I think it's a good thing, since there are people who don't like to be 'tracked' like this.
    Elysian, yes, I had thought about that as well, but was unsure of how the system worked.
    and yes, it is a good thing. i agree.
    Rachel

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    Kit asked this question of me yesterday Rachel. It could be as Elysian states, and it could also be security settings on your computer.

There are times I receive responses with no confirmation as well, but I haven't questioned whether the person sending the message confirmed or not.

Kit pm'd me and I acknowledged that I had read the message a few times in a row. It didn't register to her that I had confirmed reading the messages.

It's not something we have exactly pinpointed, but one of these two reasons are probably the cause.
    Lara, actually it was one of kits posts that reminded me about the PM i had sent and not gotten a response too... I then checked my confirmations, and it was unconfirmed...
    So,then It dawned on me that I wasn't the only one having this issue... Just checking.

Thanks for replying
    Rachel

Hi Rachel, if we see that a lot of people are having this same problem, I'll try to find out if there is anything at this end causing it.
    Lara

Thanks

Hi Rachel, if we see that a lot of people are having this same problem, I'll try to find out if there is anything at this end causing it.
    Thanks Lara, Really it's not a big deal, I was just curious...
    Rachel

Not a problem Rachel. I'm curious myself. It seems that it doesn't affect everyone. So I suspect it's security/firewalls, or something of that nature.
    Lara

Personally I hate "read receipts" and rarely ask for them when I send a message out. Because when I read a message, I don't always want to reply immediately, maybe it's late at night and I'm too tired to think straight, or I want to ponder the message a bit before answering. When I am forced to "OK" a read receipt, I feel under a lot of pressure to answer right away or risk offending the sender who sees that I read it but didn't respond. So I don't want to do that to other people. The only time I'll ask for one is if it's a time-sensitive message and I urgently need to contact the person in some way, so if they haven't read it for awhile I can contact them a different way.

I didn't know you could cancel a read receipt. It always forces me to hit "OK" before I can move on to another page.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

You don't have to hit ok, just hit cancel. The message will be sent without the request for receipt.
    Lara

You don't have to hit ok, just hit cancel. The message will be sent without the request for receipt.
    Lara, that part I know. It's when someone ELSE has requested a read receipt from me, and I get the message, "so-and-so has requested a read receipt" but I don't get any option except "OK".
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Kelly, what you see under the message is a confirm request or confirm outstanding request. Ignore it. If you proceed to the forums without clicking on the "OK", the request for confirmation box appears with "ok or cancel." You can cancel out of that and go on to the forums or the next message.
    To go to the next message, click on "list messages" on the left of the screen. If you read the message again, you will still see the request confirmation at the bottom of the message. You can always ignore it or confirm when you want.

Also Kelly, maybe you could make a request of people who frequently send pms to you, to please select "cancel" when the "request receipt" message comes up.
    Lara

Thread Information