Liz

Question PJ - read-unread differentiations

Until today I could differentiate between read & unread on the different threads & posts. Did I click something that changed this? Right now print is all the same. Previously it was bold for new.

I hope this isn't already posted somewhere here, but because of the above problem, I would have to go through all the posts to find it.

What am I missing? thanks.

Liz

Liz,

Looking at the little envelopes on the left of screen of each thread, when it is closed, there are no new postings, when open there are new postings. I haven't noticed any changes on the forums since I got access to them just before the official launch.

I posted something about this Liz.
    Photo-John, you can't post just headings ...

It has been a problem with all of the VBulletin forums on Consumer Review. You will see a way to mark posts as read in the thread.
    Posts seem to show as read, once you click on them, but once you go out of the site and come back in, they seem to be marked as unread again.
    Maybe John can get the engineers to figure the problem out. I haven't been able to ;)

Liz

Smile Not my experience, Peter

When I clicked into Viewfinder or Helpfiles, etc., the unread threads were bold print and it was very easy to detect them. Now they are all the same.

Thanks for telling me about the envelopes. This helps, although I also like the difference in print using the bold for unread.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Liz,

Looking at the little envelopes on the left of screen of each thread, when it is closed, there are no new postings, when open there are new postings. I haven't noticed any changes on the forums since I got access to them just before the official launch.

Liz, did you try logging out and back in again?

Liz

Wow! Thanks.......btw Lara

the bold unread is back again! As soon as I finished the last post and went back into VF, this was corrected.

while we're on the subject, sometimes I have the option to click into an "unread first" option which appears right under the "new thread" option at the top left. Presently that has disappeared.

At least now (after your post) I know I'm not imagining things! (Just kidding)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    I posted something about this Liz.
    Photo-John, you can't post just headings ...

It has been a problem with all of the VBulletin forums on Consumer Review. You will see a way to mark posts as read in the thread.
    Posts seem to show as read, once you click on them, but once you go out of the site and come back in, they seem to be marked as unread again.
    Maybe John can get the engineers to figure the problem out. I haven't been able to ;)
    Last edited by Liz; 02-01-2004 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    the bold unread is back again! As soon as I finished the last post and went back into VF, this was corrected.

while we're on the subject, sometimes I have the option to click into an "unread first" option which appears right under the "new thread" option at the top left. Presently that has disappeared.

At least now (after your post) I know I'm not imagining things! (Just kidding)

Lara
    As soon as you mark the post read in the specific forum or all forums, that option will be gone until a there is a new post.

Are we having fun yet ?

Liz

Cool OK.......here's the story......the way it happened.....

Lara,

When I logged on today, the bold option wasn't there, neither was the option to click into "unread first." I had to scroll down VF, HF, etc, & read "today" to figure out which ones I hadn't read which were numerous since I hadn't been around since yesterday afternoon.

A while ago the bold option returned, and there are new posts. (like yours & mine...heheh), but the "unread first" click in option is still not there.

Am I missing something? I'm a bit tired tonight, so by this time I may be missing some brain cells.

Actually, for some reason, the "problems" on the new forums seem to be a lot easier to resolve. At least AOL hasn't given us any conflicts.

Liz

As soon as you mark the post read in the specific forum or all forums, that option will be gone until a there is a new post.

Are we having fun yet ?

Lara,

When I logged on today, the bold option wasn't there, neither was the option to click into "unread first." I had to scroll down VF, HF, etc, & read "today" to figure out which ones I hadn't read which were numerous since I hadn't been around since yesterday afternoon.

A while ago the bold option returned, and there are new posts. (like yours & mine...heheh), but the "unread first" click in option is still not there.

Am I missing something? I'm a bit tired tonight, so by this time I may be missing some brain cells.

Actually, for some reason, the "problems" on the new forums seem to be a lot easier to resolve. At least AOL hasn't given us any conflicts.

Liz
    This I haven't seen before Liz. Let us know if it happens again.

"View first Unread" is available only within the thread. You wouldn't see it if you clicked on say Site Feedback. You would see it in the Posts inside Site Feedback. Like this one we are in being "PJ read-unread differentiations."

Keep experimenting and let John or me know if you continue to run into problems I am sure John wants to know if there are issues with the forums. There can always be glitches or things that need to enabled that were overlooked.

Liz

View First Unread......

Lara,

After reading your post, I realize that I was looking in the wrong (too many) places for this option. You're right. It's where it should be.

However, the bold unread was not there as indicated in the previous posts.

Thanks for all of your help......once again.

Liz

This I haven't seen before Liz. Let us know if it happens again.

"View first Unread" is available only within the thread. You wouldn't see it if you clicked on say Site Feedback. You would see it in the Posts inside Site Feedback. Like this one we are in being "PJ read-unread differentiations."

Keep experimenting and let John or me know if you continue to run into problems I am sure John wants to know if there are issues with the forums. There can always be glitches or things that need to enabled that were overlooked.

Lara,

After reading your post, I realize that I was looking in the wrong (too many) places for this option. You're right. It's where it should be.

However, the bold unread was not there as indicated in the previous posts.

Thanks for all of your help......once again.

Liz
    You're welcome Liz, any time! If you experience the bold not showing again, try a refresh of the page, or closing the browser. If that doesn't do it, try the log out and back in.

Thread Information