Ghost

I have concern over the image posting rules in this forum

Hi Moderators,

What are the reasons for not posting an image directly into the forum? (or are they not up for discussion?)

The main point of concern is people (including myself) will not follow the rules simply because they're not what we would expect when compared to the other forums. Kelly is proof enough that people:

a. Don't read.
    b. Make assumptions.

(Kelly, I'm not picking on you, it's human nature). If you really don't want images posted, then I would ask that you change the software so that it doesn't actually let you upload images.....that will solve both of the problems outlined above (with the occasional psoter asking how to upload an image or why images can't be uploaded like the other forums).

One final reason for my request; I like being able to see a photo and read comments at the same time.

I'd like to ask that you please reconsider the policy of posting images as I think you'll just end up with a bunch of replies to posts saying "please don't post images in this forum".

Thanks for your consideration.

Re: I have concern over the image posting rules in this forum

:::squirming:::

I think I've gotten too impatient as I get older.... I'm not generally the person people point to as an example of not following directions. It's a new role for me.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Well...

Guys, I understand your surprise and perhaps annoyance with the "no-photo" rule...

I am as surprised as you are, and, as I was not consulted or told ahead of time about this, I can only guess as to the reasoning. I think John is afraid that the forum will turn into another Critique or Gallery, taking away from both of those.

That being said, this is really a dicussion for the Site Feedback Forum. My understanding is that John will be out of town for at least a week or two. There's a chance he may peek in and leave an explanation during that time, but I wouldn't expect anything until he's back...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Ghost

kelly, if it wasn't you, it would have been me or whoever else ultimately posted the first photo

Thanks for the info Steve.

Just so you all know, I'm not objecting over the way things are. I'm just pointing out concern, suggesting an improvement, and offering my own preferences.

I cut this message from the other thread and am pasting it here, because here is where it belongs.

And I quote myself:

-- *ahem* --

"Although I really don't like that way, if I can say my opinion. First of all, it takes more time to upload over there and copy and paste the link here, and that sorta distracts my thoughts. And for me, I don't think it takes any more bandwidth, personally, than the other forums would have. It's still within size limits (640p/125k); if I hadn't posted here I would have posted in VF, but not both. I think the "5 images per day" rule applies across all forums, "before" I might have posted one shot in Critique and 4 in VF, now I'll post one in Critique, 3 in VF, and one in Art. Same number.

But I'll comply if I must."
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Personally I think it is stupid to force the posting into the gallery area, and then expect people to comment on the photo, continue a discussion, having to open two windows at the same time to do so.

You can post in the other forums quite easily and should be able to as well.

If the postings become another critique forum then just delete the postings and let the person know why you did and that should start to solve the issue.

I think it was good of Kelly to start a thread, and post an image and I don't think she did the wrong thing, I think it was setup wrong to start with.

One reason I saw that it was being setup to post in the galleries area, was because of server load issues, but there would still be the same server load issues irrespective of where the image is posted.

Remember if you post an image and the source is from your own website, then evertime that image is accessed by a web browser it will count as traffic to your own websites bandwidth, something to keep in mind if you have limited traffic bandwidth.

I hear you

Thanks, Trevor. I appreciate your comments. A major concern for me is that the Photography As Art forum will take attention away from the gallery. I want serious, finished images posted in the gallery, where they belong. If in-depth discussion is desired, then it's fine to do that on the Art forum. But I want the finished photos posted in the gallery. Also, I don't want the Art forum to turn into a place just for posting images. That's not it's intended purpose. It's meant for discussing ideas about art, and sharing images. Encouraging people to post in the gallery will keep it from turning into a forum-based gallery.

I know not very many people read directions and I knew people would post images in the forum anyway. As you know, there aren't really any strict rules here. We're pretty flexible. The guidelines are intended to encourage people to post in the gallery. I understand you wanting to look at the images while you reply. I'm not sure what to say about that right now. It's a valid point. As Steve said, I'm going to be out of town for about a week. Let's see how things go. And note what I said about being flexible. Maybe I just need to change the language so that it encourages people to post in the gallery.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Not a bandwidth issue

Peter,
    It's not a bandwidth issue. See my response. If bandwidth is ever an issue, we're in the wrong business.
    Photo-John

Re: Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    My understanding is that John will be out of town for at least a week or two.
    Is that so?!

Well guys.... let's tear this place apart while he's gone!!

(Sorry couldn't resist. Members of my old board always wrote this when I told them I would be gone for a few days )

Re: Not a bandwidth issue

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Peter,
    It's not a bandwidth issue. See my response. If bandwidth is ever an issue, we're in the wrong business.
    John,

If you read my post properly you will see that my mentioning the Bandwidth related to people who post links in their posts to images that are contained on their own websites, instead of uploading the images to pr.com. Which is exactly what I said.

I never mentioned Bandwidth of the pr.com site, I mentioned Server load of the pr.com servers, which at times have been under stress. Which you have mentioned to me, can be caused by Server Loads at the time, on the site servers.

If you are going to quote me, atleast do it properly and not misquote me.

Enjoy your week away.

Ahhh, gimme a break, please. I meant no disrespect. I'm trying to do about 25 things at once.
    Photo-John

John, I think that I know how to fix this.
    There must be a separate page in the gallery for posting photos intended for this forum anyway, so let's do it elegantly. I a sure you will be able to set it up in such a fashion that posting a picture in the gallery will automatically generate a new thread here (if the user wants it to happen and check an appropriate box). This thread must have a thumbnail of the photo and a link to the whole thing in the gallery. I would also flip the threads so they would grow down, and the photo would always stay on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Ahhh, gimme a break, please. I meant no disrespect. I'm trying to do about 25 things at once.

Actually, why was this thread moved out of the Art forum as it relates to the Arts Forum and not to site problems.

How did Treavor Ash move it from a forum he isn't the moderator of, as it says that he moved it out or am I reading that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Actually, why was this thread moved out of the Art forum as it relates to the Arts Forum and not to site problems.

How did Treavor Ash move it from a forum he isn't the moderator of as it says that he moved it out or am I reading that wrong.
    I was wondering about that myself.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I moved it

I moved it because someone mentioned it seemed like it should be in the Site Feedback forum and that seemed like a good idea to me. I think only Lara and I can move threads. There should still be a link in the Art forum.
    Photo-John

Photo John,
    I also have concerns. I think the that posting in the gallery may discourage many from taking part in the 'photography as art' forums because:

a. They may not want their work to be displayed in such a permanent spot as the gallery.
    b. The work may not be finished, but they only want suggestions on where to go with it.
    c. What if they want to take the suggestions that are made by discussing the piece? Then what do they do? Post it again and again in the gallery?
    d. What if someone wants to show someone how to fix something using a visual, where do they post that, in the gallery? hardly seems right to ruin the gallery that is suppose to be for the best, finished pieces.

I also think it ruins the flow of a forum, and makes it seem more intimidating. I have a personal website so I can post mine there, but what about those who don't? They may have reservations about leaving their special piece out there in the public eye for so long? Or maybe those just learning? They may only want those in that particular discussion to view their piece, not the whole world. I think the set up has to be somewhat temporary to keep it comfortable.

Just a thought,
    Kit

Hi Kit!

In case you don't hear from John right away, I just want you to know that it may be a bit before he replies. He's going to be away on an assignment until the 11th, but checking in when he can.

John is taking everyone's thoughts and concerns into consideration, and eventually I'm confident things will straighten out. This needs time cause it's so new.

Thank you for posting Kit. I encourage anyone else who plans to use this new forum to post any of their ideas, and concerns here as well.

Thanks!
    Lara

How did Treavor Ash move it from a forum he isn't the moderator of, as it says that he moved it out or am I reading that wrong.
    Just my view Peter, but the way I see it, any discussions or issues ABOUT the forums themselves belong in the Site Feedback Forum, that's why I suggested it.

That just makes sense as the higher ups are much more likely to see them there...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

What the...???

Peter,

"If you are going to quote me, atleast do it properly and not misquote me..."

I'm not quite sure why you're being so touchy over what is obviously just some of us havng a chat...

Maybe I'm not too bright about these things, but I don't make a distinction between server load problems and bandwidth problems. I too, assumed that was what you were saying...

In any event, I don't see John's reply as twisting your words around or anything of that nature.

He was simply trying to clear some of the confusion up. You know, offer an explanation? Be helpful?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Well...

Yeah, inmates running the Asylum. I like it...

Quote Originally Posted by Elysian
    Is that so?!

Well guys.... let's tear this place apart while he's gone!!

(Sorry couldn't resist. Members of my old board always wrote this when I told them I would be gone for a few days )

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: What the...???

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    Peter,

"If you are going to quote me, atleast do it properly and not misquote me..."

I'm not quite sure why you're being so touchy over what is obviously just some of us havng a chat...

Maybe I'm not too bright about these things, but I don't make a distinction between server load problems and bandwidth problems. I too, assumed that was what you were saying...

In any event, I don't see John's reply as twisting your words around or anything of that nature.

He was simply trying to clear some of the confusion up. You know, offer an explanation? Be helpful?
    Steve there is a big difference between Server Load and Bandwidth. Server Load, is the amount of hits being taken at anyone time, that the server is capable of handling within a reasonable time, without either not replying or crashing.

Bandwidth on the other hand, is the amount of traffic that one is allowed within a given month that one has paid for. A bit like your internet connection allowance, if you look at it that way. I myself have something like 8000 meg of bandwidth allowance included in my hosting plan each month. If I go over that, then I pay extra. Hence my comment regarding Bandwidth for people that make links from their own websites to images that are being displayed on PR.com and haven't been uploaded to PR.com. Something both you and I do, which means we can control our own images, by deleting them off of our own websites, something people might not be aware of.

My comments where to be clarifying and helpful.

I agree that a thread that has to do with the site needs to be in this particular forum, but this particular thread actually has more to do with the ARTS Forum than it does with the site itself and I think that has gotten some people confused, especially about posting images in the gallery and linking into the forum and having to move back and forward between windows while trying to discuss a subject, issue, problem etc, which I think is what people (I certainly do, might be wrong on this one) percieve the new forum to be about. But not a critique forum (although what else would you call it really).

This pertains to the Photography is Art forum.

One thing I'd like to point out is, when you click on a link posted in the new forum, directing to the person's photograph in the gallery, a seperate window should be popping up so that you can see both the forum and the gallery at the same time.
    Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Lara
    This pertains to the Photography is Art forum.

One thing I'd like to point out is, when you click on a link posted in the new forum, directing to the person's photograph in the gallery, a seperate window should be popping up so that you can see both the forum and the gallery at the same time.
    I get that.

almo
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

Ok, I got it...

Thanks Peter, what you say makes sense. But I still don't think John was messing with you on purpose, and if he was short, it's probably because of the "stupid" remark aimed at him in your first post. If you ask me, that was compeltey uncalled for...

BTW, Site Feedback means feedback on any of the ELEMENTS of the site, from large to small. A question about an individual forum certainly qualifies.

IOW, the forums themselves should only contain subjects that the fourm covers, while questions ABOUT the forum's structure and mechanics generally go in Site Feedback...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Thread Information