Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: NYC The Gates 1

NYC The Gates 1

Hi all,

It's been a long while since I posted, but I recently took a trip to see the Gates exhibition in NYC and I thought I'd post one or two for general consumption. I tried to capture the feel of the exhibit as it spoke to me. First, both myself and the fabric were in near continuous motion as I walked through the park. Second, I saw the gates as metaphors for walking the path of life. I enjoyed viewing them both up close and from afar. To me, this photo captures that feeling of motion and also that sense of mystery when catching a glimpse of something intriguing but not well understood or defined.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings... enjoy.

-Stew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NYC The Gates 1-thegates_blurry2.jpg  

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: NYC The Gates 1

Hey Stew!
    Glad to see you are still around.
    Sorry, but this just doesn't do much for me, either as a photo of "The Gates" or as anything that could be gotten from them.
    It's hard to see the "gates" and the line created from them is not that discrenable.
    Make sense?
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Great alternative view. I've seen hundreds of "Gates" images and only a few stand out as having been done in a different or dynamic manner. This is one of those.

Your title made the image make immediate sense and also made it of interest - due to the extreme abstract manner in which you have chosen to display these highly talked about items.

Tuna

Hey Stew, welcome back!

I have heard and read a lot about this exhibit and I can not wait to see it. I plan to travel to NYC in a couple of months and thought about bringing the wife and to oldest boys, this is a defienite stop. How lond does a person need to see and enjoy this?

thanks

Liz

Cool Re: NYC The Gates 1

Welcome Back! I also took some photos of the Gates - and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I like your more philosophical view - you put a lot of thought into it.

I like your image a lot. After reading your experience and looking at the image for a while, I agree that the photo expresses how you envisioned The Gates. What I see in your photo is motion, mystique - and the The Gates in motion in the background gives the image color and life. It's similar to a painting (IMO).

Thanks for sharing the image - and I think you captured what you were after.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by stew
    Hi all,

It's been a long while since I posted, but I recently took a trip to see the Gates exhibition in NYC and I thought I'd post one or two for general consumption. I tried to capture the feel of the exhibit as it spoke to me. First, both myself and the fabric were in near continuous motion as I walked through the park. Second, I saw the gates as metaphors for walking the path of life. I enjoyed viewing them both up close and from afar. To me, this photo captures that feeling of motion and also that sense of mystery when catching a glimpse of something intriguing but not well understood or defined.

Anyways, enough of my ramblings... enjoy.

-Stew

Liz

Unhappy Re: NYC The Gates 1

I'm sorry to tell you - The Gates are presently being taken down. They should be down in a few days.

However, the good news is the fact that there are ALWAYS wonderful things to see in NYC. Start planning now.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by CB Photo
    Hey Stew, welcome back!

I have heard and read a lot about this exhibit and I can not wait to see it. I plan to travel to NYC in a couple of months and thought about bringing the wife and to oldest boys, this is a defienite stop. How lond does a person need to see and enjoy this?

thanks

Unhappy Re: NYC The Gates 1

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I'm sorry to tell you - The Gates are presently being taken down. They should be down in a few days.

However, the good news is the fact that there are ALWAYS wonderful things to see in NYC. Start planning now.

Liz

DOH!! I hate to miss this...

Hey Stew, good to see you on the board again. I'm with Brian on this one, although i do get the mood you were going for and did so effectively capture, it just is not for my personal liking. But I appreciate your creative expression and feelings on the subject.
    I had started a thread in viewfinder a few weeks ago about the Gates with a few shots of my own and it certainly turned into a very interesting discussion on the exhibit.
    Look forward to seeing some more of your work here in the future.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

First of all, thanks everyone for welcoming me back to the PR fold! I hope to contribute both by posting some photos again, and also providing feedback to the other photographers here.

I am a little fascinated that the responses really go from cold to hot on this one. It just goes to show how differently everyone reacts to the same stimulus! A few specific replies.

Brian: your response is exactly why I do like the photo. Not being easily discernable and obscured by the branches along the slow exposure is part of the intentional feel. but i appreciate that it doesn't work for everyone...

Gary: I'm gonna look your thread up... I was sure at least one person here had started one...

Tuna: Your comments were especially nice to hear, but not specifically for this photo (even though they are appreciated). The reason is, I've been struggling recently with the idea that everything has been done before in photography (I think this is a common issue). I get discouraged by that thought - rather pessimistic I know - but when I manage to come out from under that rock I like to really explore and push myself beyond my known boundaries. The best way I know to express that right now is to take a more philosophical (Liz) and obscure approach - at least that's what I'm shooting for ! Whether I achieve it or not will remain to be seen!

Liz: your "similar to a painting" comment is the second one I've received. I will take that as a compliment! LOL.

Thanks to all for your comments. I'll post a second one (the only other one I really liked) shortly...

Cheers, and it's good to be participating again....
    -Stew

Thread Information