Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Unhappy Help with close-ups on Fuji Finepix S5100

Hi all. I work on a website selling Native American art (jewelry, pottery, etc) and have recently picked up a Finepix S5100 to replace the Olympus Camedia C4000 that I was using (busted the lens unit). With the C4000 I was able to keep the lens a good 1.5 feet from the subject and use the optical and digital zoom to get in really tight on the piece. I did not have to use the macro mode at all. I am having a lot of trouble getting anything to focus correctly with the S5100, though. I am having to put the camera on macro mode and get within 5-6 inches of the jewelry to get it to focus, and even then it is extremely inconsistent. If I try to back up and use the zoom to get in close, the camera will not focus the image.It doesn't seem to matter how much light I put on the subject. Do any of you have experience with this camera? I could really use some input on getting this thing to work. Thanks!

Re: Help with close-ups on Fuji Finepix S5100

The focusing range in wide angle is from 3.0 ft to infinity.. at full tele from 6.6 ft to infinity.

The Macro mode covers from 0.3 ft (4 inches) to 6.6 ft at wide angle.. 3.0 ft to 6.6 ft at full tele..

u need to keep within these ranges.. it looks like u need to be fairly close and in macro mode..use trial and error between getting closer at wide angle or being a little further away and useing some zoom..whichever works best as regards the cameras ability to focus.. it will come with practise.. its just totaly different than your other camera..

its a shortcoming of the long zoom lense i would guess..

trog100

Would it be a good idea to get these? Are they any good?

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DKCUSET52

they are very good if u need to fill the frame with smaller objects.. at the moment u are limited to the four inches at wide angle "closeness".. any closer and your particular camera will not be able to focus.. for example a matchbox that fills half the frame at four inches would fill the whole frame at two inches..

kinda like zoom in reverse.. instead of useing zoom to make the object bigger u are able to move the camera closer and it will still focus with macro lenses in use.. u can even gang them up.. use more than one to get even closer.. if u want to make something like a bee fill the frame it can be done..

lighting the object can be problem unless u are outdoors thow.. u really can get some remarkable pictures of small objects useing these cheap macro lenses..

if u are into macro photography they will be very usefull and as i have said they dont cost a lot..

trog100

ps.. just to add.. u do need to find ones that match your camera adapter threads.. thow step up step down rings can be used if the match isnt exact.. wether the ones u linked to will or not i have no idea.. they migh be 52 mm but it isnt made clear..
    Last edited by trog100; 03-01-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Still finding the buttons... qball's Avatar

Question Re: Help with close-ups on Fuji Finepix S5100

I use a Finepix S5500 (which is basically the S5100 - just sold under a different model in South Africa). I found the best way to shoot macro is to set it on Macro, then keep a distance of about 20 inches and then zoom in on the subject. On wide angle I also had no joy.

Hope this helps.;)
    __Albe

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

Thread Information