Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: After Bedtime

After Bedtime

Hi all,

Very new to this forum....Back in college (and a few years after) I shot a bit with a trusty OM1. Then things got busy, and I only shot things like family birthdays. Fast forward to a just a couple years ago… I picked up a point and shoot digicam to record some of the more sensational mountain bike rides (Yes, I come from the sister site mtbr.com.). Well, the digital cam got me into the digital darkroom. It is all such a hoot! With the much quicker turnaround offered by digital technology, one can really play and experiment. I picked up a DSLR last Fall after getting frustrated with limitations of the point-and-shoot (focus, exposure, etc.), and I continue to rediscover the pleasure of capturing images. I am falling deeper….

To make a long story short, I want to learn more about taking pictures and post processing them. Ergo, I started lurking on other boards and here. Attached, please find my first contribution for your critique.

Many thanks,
    Tim

Re: After Bedtime

No pic. use the upload button.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Image here....

Whooops. Didn't see 640 max size warning. Sorry,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After Bedtime-afterbedtime.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 03-06-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Un-Sticking as Featured Photo for 28 Feb 2005

Re: Image here....

I really like the toning on this one.
    The comp ispretty nice but the kid sleeping is just a bit out of the picture if you know what I mean. It's darker on that side and she gets kind of lost in the shadows. Maybe if you lighten it gradually to that side she'd feel more included.
    Jon

Thanks for the comments JK,

My intent was "cat nap, but look who else is with the cat". I just stumbled across this (when I thought all were asleep). I shot it hand-held at high ISO with all light coming from the lamp. I did try a crop without the lamp, but I thought is was too boring. It was a tough exposure given that the girls face was very dark in comparison. I worked with only the blue channel to tone down the blown-out lamp.

I may try and lighten the face with a grad-filter, but I hope it doesn't pull from the lamp as the only light source.

Thanks man,
    Tim

Intersting shot. After messing around with it a little, the crop with out the lamp I don't mind, the viewer could presume a window it there, thus drawing in the kid a little more to being a subject. I agree with Jon about the kid being an after thought to the cat. Like the idea of the cat nap who else is napping idea.

Good shot,

Jared

Cat Nap would be an interesting title for this picture as people would probably first see the cat and then eventually the child after a while. It was fun to suddenly stumble across the child after a few seconds of looking at it and having the whole picture suddenly change completely. Very cool.
    Always play as if no one is listening.

Interestingly enough, I've seen the kid way before I've seen the cat. In fact I didn't see the cat in my first viewing only after you (Tim) talked about it that I noticed the cat. I thought it was a blanket

Anyways, I love the tones and the light is a bit too bright & the girl could use a tad bit more light.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thanks for the good comments all. I'll re-work the picture some...
    Tim

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I spotted the cat first, then the kid's heat at the other end.
    Some differential lighting, or deft dodging and burning, might help.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

This is a nice moment.
    It is welcome composed and technically good as well.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Thanks for the many great comments

Wow! I am very flattered to see that this is a Sticky. I hope this is based on the potential of the photo and not that I mentioned mountain biking [grin]. Somehow, I don't feel worthy.

I have to say that I still kind of like the version with the lamp and the girls face -- dark and way off to the side. Sometimes I like to stare at a picture and not be clobbered with the subject. As one stares more, they discover more about the story the picture is trying to tell... kind of like some of Gustav Klimt's pieces. So, I purposely did not follow the rule of thirds on this capture. I also don't want to lighten it too much in PP, because I want to keep the "Late at night -- look who isn't in their bed when they should be" feel.

I have, however, attached one of my earlier crops without the lamp for comparison (it may not be the best crop). I chose not to go with it because I liked the gradient of extreme light to dark as one travels from right to left on the photo. I curious though... what do you think?

Paul, I wish I knew how to use the burn and dodge brushes properly. I've seen great before-and-after results in tutorials, but all I see are blatant repair attempts whenever I try it. Sooner or later, I will learn those skills.

BTW, I will rename this to "Cat Nap 2".

Again thanks all,
    Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After Bedtime-catnap2crop.jpg  

Re: Thanks for the many great comments

I really like the cropped version. Whoever suggested "Cat Nap" for a title was right on.

Nice work

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I think the cropped/second version is way better.
    It's not as busy.
    And I like it litgher too!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool

Paul, I wish I knew how to use the burn and dodge brushes properly. I've seen great before-and-after results in tutorials, but all I see are blatant repair attempts whenever I try it. Sooner or later, I will learn those skills.

Again thanks all,
    Tim
    The secret is to use a very soft edged brush and drop the opacity/flow or whatever it's called in your program to a very low level (10% or so) and go at it with many light strikes rather than trying to get it the way you like with one click (impossible).
    Works best IMO when using a stylus because you can also adjust the tip pressure.

After seeing the 2nd one I'm liking the first one a whole lot more.
    Jon

I have to say, while the cropping helps ( I really like how the light source is no longer in the picture itself ) I really like the lighting from the first version. The second looks too bleached and washed out. The first one was .... cozier. Cropped and dark for me.
    Always play as if no one is listening.

learning member

I lightened the face and arm slightly. cropped from the left the same as you're crop, but left the rest alone. nice square frame, good light. nice pic, congrats on the sticky!
    Mark.

Thread Information