Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Owl in Flight - Does it Work?

What do you think of this?

N80 & 75-300 & Kodak PJ800.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Owl in Flight - Does it Work?-owlflightsm.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 03-22-2004 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Unmaking it the Featured Photo...

Great shot LL I only wish you were able to freeze the wings on this one. Somehow, to me anyway, the blurred wings up in that posititon seem distracting , to me. What a cool looking bird is the Owl. Love to see some more if you could.
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 03-13-2004 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Making it the Featured Photo....
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

I think I like the motion in the wings but I find the background to be dull and distracting. The reason I say that is if the shot had a lake or trees or sky in the BG I know I'd like it better. It looks like he's in a zoo cage.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

i agree with alan. maybe you could blur the background a bit and make it less distracting. but i do like the motion. and the fact that the eyes are sharp.
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp

i think it''s an eagle owl(from animal kingdom?) with a shutter speed of 1/125th or so. too close to the wall and had you been one stop faster, the blur would be less(not that the blur is bad)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

is this the show at animal kingdom

where all the different birds fly into the audience and such and the stage looks like ruins of some sort?

It was a very fast show...the birds were never in flight for very long...so taking that into consideration there's not much you can do about the background (especially from the audience vantage point) I'm pretty impressed how sharp the face and body are...and I don't think the wings ncessarily detract from the image...I would go with posted advice and blur out some of the background.

good catch...
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, it was at Animal Kingdom. I've been to another raptor show - actually a better one - at a bird rehabiliation and education center and I knew the speed of the birds, but using 800 speed film and a maximum aperture of 5.6, 1/125 was the best I could get.

While the background isn't "ideal" per se, I think you did an excellent job of capturing the moment. I actually like the blurred wings quite a bit (and their orientation) because it shows a nice contrast to the Owl's body and face. Excellent shot!
    D200 = Digital F100
    I have achieved nirvana.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Dramatic!

Very Dramatic!
    The placement of the is good, good use of the rule of thirds.
    Panning technique is very effective too.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK daiv07's Avatar
    I love the blurred wings and the sharp body. gives a sense of the power. I won't mention the BG though. that's been hit enough! aside from all the critisism though, you got want you got. You can't ask the owl to be in a different spot so kudos to you for getting the shot despite the imperfections.

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    Took a second to make out the owl , the blurred wings confused me.Therefore to me it does not work but a great try and i am sure there are many that will like it.Thanks for sharing.
    Bobby

Thread Information