Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

"The Womans Tonic" An old barn add

I shot this old barn during my resent trip to northern Utah.

Comments please.

Thanks!
    Dudley
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "The Womans Tonic" An old barn add-dsc06752a-barn-dr-pierces-cropped-web.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 02-20-2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Un Sticking as "Featured Photo" for Valentine's Day 2005

Re: "The Womans Tonic" An old barn add

Interesting shot and great words on the building! The only critique I can offer, would be that if the mountains in the background we're a little more darker. Especially in the left hand corner, right by the building, it seems very washed out and no detail at all.

Great shot, and it could be PS'ed,

Jared

I agree with Jared. The mountains look washed out but PS could take care of this. I do like the composition though as well as the crop.

Cheers,
    Frank

I have to agree with you Jared but there’s not much to work with in that spot. The mountain was so far away and the haze in the air was so thick that the detail of the mountain kind of got lost.

Frank, if something can be done in PS, please give me a hint as to what.

Thanks!
    Dudley

Cool shot.
    Just boost the BG contrast a bit, a tiny bit, the foreground is the important bit and you want it too stand out.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Hi Dudley, I'm not a PS wizzard, but I've boosted up the contrast and played a bit with levels with the attached result. I agree it's tricky as the white tends to change to blueish but investing some more time than I had should give good results.

Cheers,
    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "The Womans Tonic" An old barn add-dsc06752a-barn-dr-pierces-cropped-web.jpg  
    Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard drive?

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Dudley,
    I can't say that I would change a thing about this shot. It looks like there was some snow that was being blown around between the back left of the barn and the base of the mountain. I really like the shot.

Scott

Seb

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye
    I shot this old barn during my resent trip to northern Utah.

Comments please.

Thanks!
    Dudley
    Dudley, this is a well composed scene. Also, I don't think that I would change a thing about it (well perhaps a slight level work on the background all alone without adjusting the foreground but that is not even necessary as I see it). I just enjoy how everything blend together. Well seen.

Seb

learning member

Hello Dudley

This is a very beautifull photo , due to the composition , the beautifull background and the colors . There is nothing i would like to change .
    Do you have more photo's of your trip to Northern Utah ?

Regards
    james

This is a good photo. The changes I made merely represent another interpretation of the scene.
    I adjusted the curves in the top half for darker tones and adjusted the bottom portion for lighter tones with some soft edged masking to blend the 2 together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "The Womans Tonic" An old barn add-2-barn-2.jpg  

CarbonTerry, your interpretation works for me. Thanks for taking time to give it a try. Once I get past auto levels, that's about it for me. I experiment whenever possible. Thanks!

James, thanks for the wonderful comments. I took about 36 shots with 35mm color professional film and about 60 digital. As you know, not all of them are wall hangers. I had never been to that part of the country so I took several shots of the mountains, streams and wildlife.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Dudley

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

I have been meaning to comment on this photograph.
    I am not sure how I think it should be, as you first posted it or one of the versions that the others have posted.
    Aesthetically, I like what is going on in your photograph. You have the right amount of mountains in the background.
    I know where this is and have wanted to stop and shoot it myself.
    I hope you enjoyed your trip in my state.
    If I haven't already welcomed you to PR.com, Welcome!
    I hope you learn as much as you can from here, make sure you check out all the forums.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Brian, thanks for taking time to comment on the old barn near Logan. I appreciate your welcome and I really enjoyed my visit to your great state. I hope to get back out there again. As for this forum, I have learned tons. It is awesome to read what really good photographers see in a picture.

Thanks for all you do here!

Dudley

Congratulations on the sticky!

Not Really (Senior Member) ShotsbyScott's Avatar

Hey Dudley! Congratulations!

Scott

First time I've seen this and it's a cracker. Hate to say anything against this. But if you forced me I would say that the clouds being the same colour as the mountain is a little unfortunate.
    An unsophisticated, simple shot that's in my face and it's brilliant.
    Tom
    http://www.overbeyond.com

I have a total lack of respect for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper, and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. Brendan Behan

Brian, thanks for the sticky and Valentines Day Feature photo! I must say that I am honored that you would feature my photo.

Jared, Scott and Tom, thanks! And thanks to everyone else for your helpful comments.

Dudley

Great shot Dudley. I like the original more than the revisions. I love everything about it. Nicely done.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Thread Information