Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Lightbulb D610 + 2.8 80-200 Nikkor or 70-200 Sigma

Hi All,

I do lots of shooting outdoors and indoors about 50/50 mix. I have a max of 1500 dollars to spend on a lens, and I am trying to decide between the following two.

My Body is a d610

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom
    and
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS FLD

The reason I'm considering the Sigma is because it has stabilization which the nikon does not (I can't afford the 70-200 Nikon VRI or II)

I know that the Nikon uses the camera motor for focus while the sigma has a motor on board. I keep reading how VR is needed in lower light or at 200MM and some places I read it isn't I'd rather not need a tripod all the time. If you guys had the choice to buy which one do you think is the best bet. It is a lot of money and I just want to make sure I can get the crispest photos. The nikon is a classic and been around forever and i heard someone knock sigma. I'm just not sure.

thanks in advance!

GB1

Re: D610 + 2.8 80-200 Nikkor or 70-200 Sigma

With Nikon lenses you typically know what you're going to get. For the Sigma, check out
    Lens Test: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG OS | Popular Photography

Appears to have very little distortion, which is true w/ most telephotos (zooms too)
    Only 2 f-stops w/ the stablizer, but 2 stops can sure come in handy in some situations
    They said that the quality is good at 70 and 135 but drops noticeably at 200mm

Another thing to check is ebay for slightly used versions. You might even find the Nikon 70-200 VRI or II at a decent price.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: D610 + 2.8 80-200 Nikkor or 70-200 Sigma

Great thanks for all the detailed info!! I really appreciate the quick response!!

Thread Information