Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Nikon to replace D600 shutter free of charge

Nikon will replace D699 shutters free of charge even if your camera is not under warranty.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-A...LR-Camera.html
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Nikon to replace D600 shutter free of charge

Sure took them long enough. Guess better late than never.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

It is very unfortunate that it took the threat of a Class Action Lawsuit to finally address the shutter mechanism issues with the D600. I guess that the potential costs that Nikon would face if the Class Action Lawsuit had proceeded finally persuaded them to act in a fashion that they should have done right from the onset of the dust and oil spot issues with the D600. The way Nikon D600 customers were initially treated by Nikon was nothing less than disgusting. If I were to start over again, Nikon most certainly would not be any of my potential options or choices.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Nothing to do with DSLRs, alas, is anyone shooting with mirrorless? J3, V2 etc? I've got a DSLR myself (canon 5d mk iii) but i'm just wondering if anyone else shoots with a mirrorless?

Please don't reply to an existing thread with a new topic. Write a new thread.

As far as I am aware there are no Nikon mirrorless champions around here. Its the sort of system that is going to appeal a lot to birdwatchers - fast continuous autofocus, compatible with a huge range of lenses, compact.. But I don't think we have any amoung our regular contributors
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I was emailed a notice by Nikon about replacing my shutter but I am really not having any problems. Not sure I want to send it in or not. I keep thinking of the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". What do you think?

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I sent mine in a few months ago and they replaced the shutter. I noticed the other day spots on my pictures and sent it in again just days before the notice,I dont change the lens on this camera ,mainly leave my 24-70 on all the time.
    I hope the second repair will be permanent. I also heard that some received a 610 back instead of their 600 ???

Jeff, you were one of the few lucky ones. Since the new shutter is the principle upgrade to the d610, I agree, don't fix what ain't broke.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

After two or three repair attempts, they will replace the camera.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

I have had my D600 for a year and have never cleaned the sensor. I did have one dust spot and took it to my local camera shop this weekend and he had it cleaned in about two minutes. This is a shot with my D600 taken at F22 about 2 1/2 hours ago. I will say that I have changed my lenses a bunch but I do it quickly and carefully.

This is a full frame picture just as it comes out of the camera except that I resized it to post it.

I think I am going to keep what I have and not chance creating a problem.

Click to enlarge.
    Nikon to replace D600 shutter free of charge-dsc_1360.jpg

Very very late in coming, but maybe it will help Nikon's recent image which has been spotty at best.

Nikon | News | Announcement Regarding the Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Mine is going back for the 3rd time also when I got it back the 2nd time there were 953 more acutations than it had when it left my house

3rd time is a charm welcome my new D610

Good for you. Enjoy your D610.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I was emailed a notice by Nikon about replacing my shutter but I am really not having any problems. Not sure I want to send it in or not. I keep thinking of the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". What do you think?
    I would find out the extent of the replacement and how long it lasts for (eg Microsoft fixed XBOX 360 issues for some years after the red ring issue, but eventually wrapped it up... I am guessing after the accepted life of the affected models).

Once you know when they will end the replacements try to get it in around then as a precaution, at best you get a new camera as they won't fix them anymore, at worst you would have to snd it back a couple of times if they screw it up... by that stage you may have something else you can shoot with whilst it is being fixed anyway.

To refer back to the XBOX issue, mine didn't have issues for ages, I didn't play it much compared to most gamers and then it red-ringed around the time they stopped fixing them... I wished I had had it looked at earlier... your call really

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I would find out the extent of the replacement and how long it lasts for (eg Microsoft fixed XBOX 360 issues for some years after the red ring issue, but eventually wrapped it up... I am guessing after the accepted life of the affected models).

Once you know when they will end the replacements try to get it in around then as a precaution, at best you get a new camera as they won't fix them anymore, at worst you would have to snd it back a couple of times if they screw it up... by that stage you may have something else you can shoot with whilst it is being fixed anyway.

To refer back to the XBOX issue, mine didn't have issues for ages, I didn't play it much compared to most gamers and then it red-ringed around the time they stopped fixing them... I wished I had had it looked at earlier... your call really
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider it down the road a little.

Thread Information