Film Cameras and Photography Forum

Film Photography Forum Discuss film photography techniques, including darkroom, film types, film cameras, filters, etc. - forum moderator is Xia-Ke.
Read and Write Film Reviews >>
Read and Write 35mm SLR Reviews >>
Read and Write Rangefinder Camera Reviews >>
Read and Write Medium Format Camera Reviews >>

Fujifilm Discontinues Provia 400X & Neopan 400

Two more film types gone. Stock up now, while you can:

Fujifilm Provia 400X & Neopan 400 Discontinued >>

It feels like it's really just a matter of time now before color film is completely done. I don't see black-and-white going away. But color looks like it's on the way out.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Re: Fujifilm Discontinues Provia 400X & Neopan 400

I'll agree with you for sure that Colour is on it's way out, especially colour slide, Kodak's C-41 offerings are still going strong. I shot Provia 400x once, and never really liked it, I'm more a Velvia 50/Provia 100 (I have some in 4x5 that I'm just starting to shoot). As for Neopan 400, I always leaned more towards HP5 and Tri-X.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I'll agree with you for sure that Colour is on it's way out, especially colour slide, Kodak's C-41 offerings are still going strong. I shot Provia 400x once, and never really liked it, I'm more a Velvia 50/Provia 100 (I have some in 4x5 that I'm just starting to shoot). As for Neopan 400, I always leaned more towards HP5 and Tri-X.
    I think it's been too long since I shot film for me to have shot Provia 400X. I know I shot a lot of Provia 400, though. Back in the day we chose our film type as much for conditions as the look, you know. If I was shooting sports, I really couldn't shoot Velvia. It was reserved for still subjects.

There are a bunch of reasons why I think slide film is disappearing. The obvious one is that digital is great for shooting color and digital files are a lot easier to deal with than slides. But an even bigger reason may be how difficult it is to process. Finding someone with a good E6 line was always tough. And with fewer and fewer customers, the costs are going to go up - way up. Plus, dealing with those chemicals was never easy, either. Here in the US, the EPA watches wet photo labs like a hawk. If you aren't careful, huge fines could shut you down.

Neopan - I don't think I ever tried it. I was always a Plus-X / FP4 guy. I like the crispness of ISO 125 B&W a lot more than the faster films.
    Photo-John

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    There are a bunch of reasons why I think slide film is disappearing. The obvious one is that digital is great for shooting color and digital files are a lot easier to deal with than slides. But an even bigger reason may be how difficult it is to process. Finding someone with a good E6 line was always tough. And with fewer and fewer customers, the costs are going to go up - way up. Plus, dealing with those chemicals was never easy, either. Here in the US, the EPA watches wet photo labs like a hawk. If you aren't careful, huge fines could shut you down.
    Hit the nail square on the head! I can get C-41 home dev chemistry shipped in from the US as it's powdered, but E-6, nope, liquid won't ship across the border.

Neopan - I don't think I ever tried it. I was always a Plus-X / FP4 guy. I like the crispness of ISO 125 B&W a lot more than the faster films.
    FP4 is a lovely film, very printable in the darkroom and looks fantastic in 4x5.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    FP4 is a lovely film, very printable in the darkroom and looks fantastic in 4x5.
    Overexpose and underdevelop!
    Photo-John

I have a fridge full of Neopan 400 but very little color film left. It's just to expensive to get processed. It's send out most everywhere now and it cost an average of $12.00 or so.
    The last roll I sent to The Darkroom had a two week turn around time. It's just not worth it to me.

Two more film types gone. Stock up now, while you can:

Fujifilm Provia 400X & Neopan 400 Discontinued >>

It feels like it's really just a matter of time now before color film is completely done. I don't see black-and-white going away. But color looks like it's on the way out.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information