Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

> >
    I’ve been taking photos of zebra jumping spiders (Salticus scenicus) that have been hunting mosquitoes on the screen door to my kitchen. These spiders are really endearing in their movements and “attitude”...it’s too bad they are so tiny. Imagine how much fun they would be if they were the size of a tarantula! >>
    > >
    Males of the species are apparently darker in colour, so I believe that the first photo below is of a male, and the second is a female. If anyone can confirm that, please let me know. There are more photos of each specimen on my blog.>>
    > >
    Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera; Zuiko 35mm macro lens; manual exposure (F8-F11 @ 1/200 sec); Olympus RF-11 ring flash (1/8-1/4 power); ISO: 200>>
    > >
    Cheers,>>
    EC>>
    www.macrocritters.wordpress.com>>
    > >
    P7040536 2 jumping spider on screen ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr>>
    P7110479 jumping spider screen 2 ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr>>

Re: Zebra jumping spiders munching on mosquitoes (pics)

Mea culpa

There is a quote circulating on Facebook that basically says that you are doing science wrong if you don’t make mistakes; that you are doing science really wrong if you don’t correct those mistakes; and that you aren’t doing it at all if you don’t accept that you’re mistaken.

Well, it turns out that the darker spider is actually a different species: Platycryptus (probably P. californicus). It also turns out that what I thought were mosquitoes were actually non-biting midges (chironomids). Sigh. I have re-edited my blog and corrected these mistakes.

I must be doing GREAT science!

It’s interesting that two very similar species, one introduced and one native, were feeding on the same prey within inches of one another. I wonder whether the two species avoid each other (given their great vision) or if one ever preys on the other?

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters | What's a nice bug like you doing in a place like this??

Quote Originally Posted by Ecooper View Post
    Mea culpa

There is a quote circulating on Facebook that basically says that you are doing science wrong if you don’t make mistakes; that you are doing science really wrong if you don’t correct those mistakes; and that you aren’t doing it at all if you don’t accept that you’re mistaken.

Well, it turns out that the darker spider is actually a different species: Platycryptus (probably P. californicus). It also turns out that what I thought were mosquitoes were actually non-biting midges (chironomids). Sigh. I have re-edited my blog and corrected these mistakes.

I must be doing GREAT science!
    Anybody who doesn't make mistakes isn't human. And anyone who isn't man enough to admit their mistakes, well, I guess they're not man enough
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I love that first shot with the prominent eyes. Really nice work!

Are these heavily cropped? I would think so with a 35mm macro for a 70mm equivalent POV but I wanted to be sure I'm not overlooking something that would give more magnification. Whatever you did it worked well.

Thread Information