Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>

Smile Best Zoom Lens For Sony NEX-5?

What is the best zoom lens for the NEX-5? I have the Sony 18-200mm, I bought this lens with little or no research. I am happy with it of course but at the same time want something to get me closer. I am still reading and still researching. Most of my intended use for the zoom is normally at the zoo or at something my daughter is doing at school.
    Last edited by Photo-John; 06-25-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Re: Best Zoom Lens For Sony NEX-5?

Quote Originally Posted by Valenina's Daddy View Post
    What is the best zoom lens for the NEX-5? I have the Sony 18-200mm, I bought this lens with little or no research. I am happy with it of course but at the same time want something to get me closer. I am still reading and still researching. Most of my intended use for the zoom is normally at the zoo or at something my daughter is doing at school.
    200mm is about as long as you can get for the NEX in native E-mount.

You can use adapters which gives you many choices. Sony makes adapters for the Sony/Minolta A-mount lenses - both with auto-focus (AF) and with manual focus (MF) only. I believe that there is a third party adapter that allows some Canon lenses to AF. There are a ton of adapters that allow other lenses to be used with MF only.

I really can't answer as to the 'best'. It depends on your needs, your budget, your size/weight requirements and your willingness to research lenses and adapters.

Terry
    Last edited by Photo-John; 06-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Valenina's Daddy! I hope you don't mind me making a new thread out of your post. I thought it deserved attention on its own.

So the quick answer to your question is, no. The 18-200mm lens is the best long zoom made for the NEX system. It's also a great, versatile zoom range. Personally, I love 18-200mm zooms on APS-C sensor cameras. But if you want more reach, you'll have to step out of Sony's E-mount lenses. How long are you looking for anyway? I've used the Sony A-mount 80-400mm with the La-EA2 adapter and it's great. It's huge and makes the camera look tiny and comical. But it's an excellent lens and gives you a ridiculous amount of reach.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Right now the Olympus series mirrorless cameras has the best lens selection. They have the 75-300 mm and with the x2 crop factor you would go from 300mm on the long in to 600mm. All that and in body stabilization. The Sony lenses have IS built into them so stabilization is very limited. Image stabilization is a wonderful thing to have with a big zoom.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

It depends on what you want to shoot.

sorry just getting my post count up

Only help up man ...
    Good Luck!
    Shoot Hunter

Thread Information