Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

New Nikon Coolpix A - With APS-C Sensor & f/2.8 Prime Lens

Nikon just announced what I think will be one of the most important camera announcements of 2013 - the Coolpix A. It's a pocket-sized camera with a 16-megapixel APS-C sensor and a 28mm f/2.8 prime lens. This is obviously their answer to the Sony RX1 - but with a smaller sensor and for less than half the price.

The Nikon Coolpix A Professional Pocket Camera – Nikon’s Answer To The Sony RX1 >>

New Nikon Coolpix A - With APS-C Sensor & f/2.8 Prime Lens-nikon-a_2up.jpg

Nikon also announced an updated version of their P3XX camera, the P330. I think it's finally a worthy camera, with a larger sensor, RAW shooting and a longer f/1.8 zoom lens:

Nikon Coolpix P330 Updated With Larger Sensor, RAW Shooting & Longer f/1.8 Zoom Lens >>

So who's gonna buy the new Nikon Coolpix A? What do you guys think of it compared to the Sony RX1? Did they nail it?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: New Nikon Coolpix A - With APS-C Sensor & f/2.8 Prime Lens

The P330 looks really interesting! useful zoom range, RAW, f1.8, VR, optional wifi, gps! and the price is awesome!

while I just do not understand the coolpix A , priced lower than the sony rx1, I don't get it, 18mm fixed lens, over $1 grand, just for the large sensor ? why 18mm f2.8 on aps-c ? it will have the DOF of a cell phone! great ISO and IQ, but ... I better shut up

still ... I'm not buying any of these, the canon s90 is still nice for what I do with it, I have the wifi and gps in my phone, which also has a camera and does ok for the kind of stuff "I can't wait to upload to FB"

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    I'm not buying any of these, the canon s90 is still nice for what I do with it, I have the wifi and gps in my phone, which also has a camera and does ok for the kind of stuff "I can't wait to upload to FB"
    I think the Coolpix A looks great, although I do wish it had a zoom lens. I'm just not a prime lens guy.

You need to get an Eye-Fi card for your S90. Then you can transfer photos from your camera to your phone and post from anywhere without having to use the phone for a camera. It's the best!
    Photo-John

No interest whatsoever.

The Sony RX1 is an elitist camera that has all my friends shaking their heads. A fixed-focal length compact for the same price as the D800. Who is going to buy that? Or the Coolpix A for that matter.

The P330 is just Nikon catching up with the Sony S110. But the Canon Snnn series has been replaced by the Sony RX100 as expert's choice pocket camera.

Glad I bought my RX100. All Nikon had to do was put the Aptina 1-inch sensor from the Series 1 with a killer lens in a pocket-size body but I was sure they were going to screw it up.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    No interest whatsoever.

The Sony RX1 is an elitist camera that has all my friends shaking their heads. A fixed-focal length compact for the same price as the D800. Who is going to buy that? Or the Coolpix A for that matter.
    It seems I misjudged the response the Nikon A would get here. That's ok, though. There's room for different opinions. One thing I would like to say is that using a camera like the RX1 might change your mind. Yes, it's still priced out of reach for the majority. But man is it good. Because of the fixed lens, the image quality is actually better than the Sony A99 DSLR that uses the same lens. I'm hoping the same will be true for the Nikon A. I'm also hoping these fixed lens cameras are just the start and we'll soon see zoom lens versions.

Glad I bought my RX100. All Nikon had to do was put the Aptina 1-inch sensor from the Series 1 with a killer lens in a pocket-size body but I was sure they were going to screw it up.
    I agree that the RX100 is the sweet spot for high-end pocket cameras right now. It does cost almost twice as much as the new Nikon P330, though. As for the Nikon 1 sensor in a pocket camera - that's a good idea. A great idea, even. However, I don't love the image quality of the Nikon 1 cameras and it wouldn't make the same kind of statement that the APS-C sensor in the Nikon A does.

Maybe Canon will put the sensor from the G1 X in a pocket camera, now...
    Photo-John

Interesting where Nikon (and the market) are going with pocket-sized "expert" cameras. Defining by ability to shoot RAW, Nikon now has 3 such Coolpix (P330, P7700, and A), as well as the Nikon 1 line. While I have been relatively happy with my P7100 (and from I've read might be happier with newer P7700), the smaller size of the P330 might well fit my needs better. I don't see buying a fixed lens camera without zoom, regardless of how good the image is, because I'm using as a more "casual" camera anyway. There was another thread here some months ago where there were interesting, fairly strong preferences expressed both ways between the interchangeable and fixed-lens alternatives.
    Question: how does preference between these alternatives match with use? Mine is "camera to slip in my pocket when I'm out and about (traveling, usually) for reasons other than photography."

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I'm liking the coolpix A, I'm just not in the market right now for a compact camera, my poor E-P1 is still chugging along. I really should upgrade that body.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

In praise of fixed focal length, non interchangable lens cameras..

A long time ago the second "serious" camara that I bought was a Rollei 35. I already had a SLR with several lenses. I wanted something that I could carry around with me all the time.

I learnt a lot from the Rollei 35.
    - With a single focal length you have to try to figure out how to compose a good picture even with a subject that isn't suited to the focal lens of the lens in use (40mm in the case of the Rollei 35).
    - The Rollei 35 focusses but it has no rangefinder or other focussing aids. I just had to learn to estimate distances
    - The Rollei 35 does has an exposure meter but you set it manually. I needed to keep a close eye on changing light conditions.

It was great. But then - so is taking a bath in an icy mountain pool when you're out on a hike in the Alps. When you get back home it's back to nice warm showers. Or in photography terms - compact cameras with zoom lenses.
    Charles

I'm right there with you Charles. 40 years ago I bought a Pentax SP500; while it was interchangeable lens, I was practically (and financially) restricted to the 50mm prime. Wouldn't trade the learning I did with that (and in the darkroom) for anything. But then I learned computer programming by setting switches up and down, which I like to think gives me unique insight into why my PDA goes on the fritz, but doesn't mean I want to input an address into Google Maps in binary ...

n8

I agree with everyone else on the issue of the fixed 18mm. Why not at least make it a 35mm to give it a normal focal length? I think having a dx sensor in a compact is a great idea, but not with a prime. If they can upgrade the p7700 with a dx sensor, I may be interested.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by srblough View Post
    ...But then I learned computer programming by setting switches up and down, which I like to think gives me unique insight into why my PDA goes on the fritz, but doesn't mean I want to input an address into Google Maps in binary ...
    I learnt programming on punched cards. Used to be quite good on the Hollerith. Thé Rollei 35 had a 40mm Lens which is "normal" for 35mm film. The 28mm view of thé À caméra is OK for landscapes but too wide for me for most ôter things.
    Charles

While I have been relatively happy with my P7100 (and from I've read might be happier with newer P7700), the smaller size of the P330 might well fit my needs better.
    If you want a camera that fits in a pocket, then I think the P330 would be a great replacement for your P7100. The image quality should be better and it will fit in a pants pocket, something you can't do with the P7XXX cameras.
    Photo-John

A long time ago the second "serious" camara that I bought was a Rollei 35. I already had a SLR with several lenses. I wanted something that I could carry around with me all the time.

I learnt a lot from the Rollei 35.
    - With a single focal length you have to try to figure out how to compose a good picture even with a subject that isn't suited to the focal lens of the lens in use (40mm in the case of the Rollei 35).
    - The Rollei 35 focusses but it has no rangefinder or other focussing aids. I just had to learn to estimate distances
    - The Rollei 35 does has an exposure meter but you set it manually. I needed to keep a close eye on changing light conditions.
    I always wanted a Rollei 35. Someday I might even buy one for the camera shelf. They're still very neat little cameras. I agree about the zoom lens, though. I prefer zooms for almost everything. However, there are a lot of photographers who love prime lenses and I think the Nikon A is made to appeal to those traditionalists. Also, technically, Nikon can make a better performing camera with a fixed prime lens. That's part of the reason that Sony went with the fixed prime on the RX1. Having a fixed lens allowed them to have tolerances that wouldn't have been possible with a zoom lens. And the RX1 produces the sharpest images I've ever seen. It's much sharper than the A99 DSLR and 24-70mm Zeiss zoom. And that's saying a lot. I'm really curious to see if Nikon have achieved the same kind of optical success.

Of course, these cameras aren't for everyone. And I think you're right when you call them "elitist." But personally, I don't mind because they're paving the way for less expensive, zoom versions. I hope we start to see those cameras soon. If people buy the RX1 and the Coolpix A, the zooms will follow.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    If you want a camera that fits in a pocket, then I think the P330 would be a great replacement for your P7100. The image quality should be better and it will fit in a pants pocket, something you can't do with the P7XXX cameras.
    No doubt. But I've had the P7100 for less than a year, by the time I can justify replacing it maybe Nikon will have perfected the A with a zoom. Until then, cargo pants or a jacket pocket ...

No doubt. But I've had the P7100 for less than a year, by the time I can justify replacing it maybe Nikon will have perfected the A with a zoom. Until then, cargo pants or a jacket pocket ...
    Good strategic thinking
    Photo-John

Thread Information