Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D600 Announced!

n8

D600 Announced!

Great news...or bad news if you're like me and want one but have no business dropping the coin for it. By the pics it looks like an FX D7000 just as the rumors have speculated. A couple buttons have been moved, and it looks like a lock has been added to the drive/mode dial. I could see this turning my d7000 into a back up real quick.

Connectors - D600 makes no design compromises (pictures) - CNET Reviews
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Re: D600 Announced!

Quote Originally Posted by n8 View Post
    Great news...or bad news if you're like me and want one but have no business dropping the coin for it. By the pics it looks like an FX D7000 just as the rumors have speculated. A couple buttons have been moved, and it looks like a lock has been added to the drive/mode dial. I could see this turning my d7000 into a back up real quick.

Connectors - D600 makes no design compromises (pictures) - CNET Reviews
    I just don't feel like there is enough difference between the D7000 and the D600 at the $2100 price range to entice me to go for it. When it was mentioned about being in the $1500 range it had me thinking about it. I am very happy with my D7000 and will probably have it for several more years. Every year they will come out with something new and keeping up with the latest and greatest is a never ending proposition. I think adding the lock on the mode dial was a very good addition. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Full Frame = Image Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I just don't feel like there is enough difference between the D7000 and the D600 at the $2100 price range to entice me to go for it. When it was mentioned about being in the $1500 range it had me thinking about it. I am very happy with my D7000 and will probably have it for several more years. Every year they will come out with something new and keeping up with the latest and greatest is a never ending proposition. I think adding the lock on the mode dial was a very good addition. Jeff
    The difference is image quality. With the D600's full-frame sensor, we should see excellent, low noise quality up to ISO 6400 or even higher. Most photographers don't really need that kind of low light performance. But if you do, it makes all the difference in the world.

Last night I posted the press release, photos and a specs list but it was too late for me to do a whole comparison and analysis article. Here's a link to the page that's up now. Watch for it to be updated later today: Nikon D600 Full-Frame Enthusiast DSLR Announced | Camera News & Reviews
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I'm thinking that I would like to start a new D600 tips thread and the only thing holding it up is that I am waiting for someone to donate one of these to the Jeff Impey Tips thread! Feel free to contact me for the shipping location, Jeff :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm excited about this because it means the Canon 6D is more likely to happen. Which means used 5Ds and Mk IIs might even get cheaper.

I was hoping for the lower price, though.

I may be simple-minded but I don't understand the line-ups in the 7000 & 300 range and adding the 600. I guess the same with the 60D, 7D, and adding a 6D. I think what I don't get is the 7D/D300 "this is as much camera as you can get with a crop sensor" when what would make sense to me is "this is as much sensor area as you can get in a cheaper body," I guess what the 5D was when it was new. They've been upping the features of the crop bodies instead of making more affordable full frames... And maybe that's what I'm not looking at, profits!

Quote Originally Posted by MotorToad View Post
    I'm excited about this because it means the Canon 6D is more likely to happen. Which means used 5Ds and Mk IIs might even get cheaper.

I may be simple-minded but I don't understand the line-ups in the 7000 & 300 range and adding the 600. I guess the same with the 60D, 7D, and adding a 6D. I think what I don't get is the 7D/D300 "this is as much camera as you can get with a crop sensor" when what would make sense to me is "this is as much sensor area as you can get in a cheaper body," I guess what the 5D was when it was new. They've been upping the features of the crop bodies instead of making more affordable full frames... And maybe that's what I'm not looking at, profits!
    I'm with you on the confusion of the upgrade path for the 7000 and 300 users

My view of history

Quote Originally Posted by MotorToad View Post

I don't think Nikon and Canon will introduce any new pro models with crop (APS-C) sensors. Over 5 years they've tempted most of the pros over to full-frame with models like the D3 and the D700. We're back to the same situation as with film SLR's 12 years ago - just two pro product lines (D4 & D800) instead of four (D300s, D700, D3s, D3X).

And now it's the turn of the enthusiasts to be tempted by full-frame. I think the D600 is too expensive currently to bring a lot of people - it's the same price as I paid for my D300. But if the price drops over time as it has with the D300/D300s..

BTW I know a lot of people are waiting for a 24MPix APS-C D400 or a 16Mpix D700s or a 7D mk2. I hope I'm wrong and these cameras happen..
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: My view of history

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    BTW I know a lot of people are waiting for a 24MPix APS-C D400 or a 16Mpix D700s or a 7D mk2. I hope I'm wrong and these cameras happen..
    I'm waiting for a 7D Mk II. I'm deeply committed to Canon's APS-C sensor cameras. I like them because they're smaller, lighter, less expensive and give me more reach. And for 80% of what I shoot, the image quality is more than adequate. I do have a real appreciation for full frame cameras, though. In the past year I've used the Nikon D4, Canon 5D Mk III and now the EOS-1D X. I can shoot things with those cameras that are impossible with a current APS-C camera. On the other hand, they cost a fortune and the size and weight a really prohibitive on the mountain bike. Every time I come back to my 7D I have to admit, it's really a very capable camera. And if I was a Nikon owner, I'd be saying the same thing about my D7000
    Photo-John

Re: My view of history

,,,Over 5 years they've tempted most of the pros over to full-frame with models like the D3 and the D700...
    More like forced...like what the Canon 1Dx is doing.

For bird and animal photogs, a crop camera is still very popular.

D600 Article Updated!

I spent the day reading about and discussing the D600 here, on Twitter and on Facebook. The I wrote a way bigger article than I planned. We've got a good discussion going here. Let's keep it going. Post some comments on the article page, too. They make it a more useful page.

Nikon D600 Full-Frame Enthusiast DSLR Announced | Camera News & Reviews

The bottom line? If you're thinking about buying a full-frame Nikon DSLR, the D600 is the right camera for most photographers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Re: D600 Article Updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    ... We've got a good discussion going here. Let's keep it going...
    Some more outrageous statements then..

It's all Canon's fault anyway. Nikon had an APS-C strategy (D2X, D200) then Canon released the low-cost full-frame 5D and changed Nikon's mind.

For the next generation Nikon released two cameras on the same day (rare):

- an improved 5D (the D3)
    - a much-improved (but not top level) APS-C body to reassure D2X owners (the D300)

The D3 was very successful at attracting D2X owners. Some time later Nikon produced a slightly imperfect (92% viewfinder) lower-cost FF body (D700) to pick up the professionals who had adopted the D300.

Then Nikon produced a simplified D300 for enthusiasts - the D7000. Next - the D600 to see if the enthusiasts take to full-frame.
    Charles

Re: D600 Article Updated!

Some more outrageous statements then..

It's all Canon's fault anyway. Nikon had an APS-C strategy (D2X, D200) then Canon released the low-cost full-frame 5D and changed Nikon's mind.
    I'd forgotten that. I am pretty sure there was a time when I was convinced Nikon would never make a full-frame DSLR
    Photo-John

I suppose the marketing guys in nikon are really good, they make me spend money, even when they do make me mad

I had the D300 and I really liked it , new cameras started to come out and the new sensors started to tickle my interest, D90, D7000, D5100, d3100, D3200, the bodies are not the same as the D300 ...

I'm waiting on a D400 ...
    and waiting ....
    and waiting ...

Tried the nex5n and loved the additional resolution and high ISO capabilities, hmm going bigger than 12mp can be nice ...

should I get a D700 ? I triedd a friend's, wow this feels so familiar, just like the D300, but ... it is full frame ! very nice DR and high ISO, but I need different lenses , hmm I'm not sure

Where is the D400 ... ?
    waiting some more ...

Somewhere in there I tried Lr4 and got blown away by the shadow recovery abilities

Then the D800 is announced, right body, but holly *#$& 36MP !
    DXO published the sensor results , wow! imagine what can be done combined with LR4!?!?!?
    People start to show results on the D800 some using regular lenses and they look really good
    I finally bought the D800 mainly due to the advantages of the sensor installed in the right ( for me ) body

Sold my D300 (and the nex5n)

now comes the the D600 but in a body that is, again, less than what the D300 had, if it came out before the D800 I'm not sure I would have bought it

I do not know if this makes sense, but that's what I felt watching nikons releases in the last 2 or 3 years

I guess the D600 will be attractive to someone that has a D7000, or other DX bodies interested to get into FX, or a sensor that is significantly better to what they currently have , I think it will be but it is still to be seen

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    I guess the D600 will be attractive to someone that has a D7000, or other DX bodies interested to get into FX, or a sensor that is significantly better to what they currently have , I think it will be but it is still to be seen
    The D600 is an obvious upgrade for Nikon DX camera owners. But I also think the D600 is a better camera for most photographers than the D800. Most of us really don't need that kind of resolution - whether we know it or not. And bigger files just mean more time spent in front of the computer, more memory cards and more hard drives.

Personally, I like the 16-megapixel D4 sensor. For me, that's the sweet spot. And I know a bunch of other sports photographer friends who feel the same way. They were very unhappy with the D800 announcement because they didn't want or need a 36-megapixel sensor, and they were disappointed that the camera wasn't faster. I'm hearing the same grumbling about speed with the D600. The resolution is better but it's still not as fast as the sports shooters want. They all wanted a D700 replacement with the same speed and better image quality. It looks like Nikon is forcing them all to spend a whole lot more by making them buy the D3s or D4 if they want to upgrade.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    I suppose the marketing guys in nikon are really good, they make me spend money, even when they do make me mad

I bought the 70-300VR because of YOUR bird pictures and your glowing review on PR. I haven't used it much yet but it looks good. The other two lenses I bought (60mm Macro and 24-85VR) were fairly inexpensive. I know it all adds up but it's an investment for 10 years.

My opinion on the D600: it's got the consumer user interface and I know from experience that I get confused when switching from that to a D200/D300/D800 so I'm not interested. The D800+lens+flash fits in the same bag as my Leica and that is enough for me.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Most of us really don't need that kind of resolution - whether we know it or not.
    True. People will still buy the 36 megapixel camera anyway even if they don't have the glass to make full use of the sensor, that most of the photos are just viewed on a computer (and be amazed by the details when viewed 100% the images shot with the better glass). That's human behavior

Personally, I like the 16-megapixel D4 sensor. For me, that's the sweet spot.
    And I'm guessing if Nikon does make a D400 or whatever they'd call that replacement of the D300s, it'd be a 24 megapixels camera. And many think it's too much on a crop-sensor (D3200 anyone). Again, 16 to 18 is said to be good enough. And most don't need to upgrade their lenses to make use of a sensor like that.

To most of you who don't shoot wildlife, a D600 may be an upgrade from a DX camera. To many who do, it's not.

DXO results are out - 2nd highest ever

The DXOMark sensor test results for the D600 are out:

DxOMark - Nikon D600 sets high bar for sensor image quality

This is the second highest score ever. It is beaten only by the D800.
    Charles

Re: DXO results are out - 2nd highest ever

The DXOMark sensor test results for the D600 are out:

DxOMark - Nikon D600 sets high bar for sensor image quality

This is the second highest score ever. It is beaten only by the D800.
    It will be interesting to see how the Sonys do (A99, RX1, VG900 - do they measure camcorders?). Nikon goes all-out for high ISO, but the Sonys usually do better in the other two. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: DXO results are out - 2nd highest ever

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the Sonys do (A99, RX1, VG900 - do they measure camcorders?). Nikon goes all-out for high ISO, but the Sonys usually do better in the other two. - Terry
    I use to think like this, measure by high ISO performance,
    but have grown to like the Low ISO dynamic range and color sensibility, it is leaps and bounds better than what I had with the D300

Nikon do particularly well in dynamic range which brings them a lot of points in DXO. We already saw this with the Nikon D3X and the Sony A900. We know that they are made by Sony on the same base but there is some proprietary stuff in there and the end result is not the same. The D800 and D600 continue the trend (though we don't know yet who manufactures these sensors).

The camera that interests me the most at the moment is the Canon 6D. I cannot remember a new camera release that has been so poorly received by it's own camp. The DXOMark for the 5DMk3 was disappointing but perhaps the 6D will do better?
    Charles

Nikon do particularly well in dynamic range which brings them a lot of points in DXO. We already saw this with the Nikon D3X and the Sony A900. We know that they are made by Sony on the same base but there is some proprietary stuff in there and the end result is not the same. The D800 and D600 continue the trend (though we don't know yet who manufactures these sensors).

The camera that interests me the most at the moment is the Canon 6D. I cannot remember a new camera release that has been so poorly received by it's own camp. The DXOMark for the 5DMk3 was disappointing but perhaps the 6D will do better?
    The D800 sensor is confirmed Sony.

https://chipworks.secure.force.com/c...searchText=imx

All indications are that the one in the D600 is also - same FF sensor as in the new SLT, P&S and Video Cam mentioned above.

Terry

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

In stock already

I just saw, held and peered through the viewfinder of a D600 in one of the consumer shops in my local shopping mall.

- It's impressive. It looks like quite a big camera compared with the D3200's and stuff next to it. At first glance I thought it was a D800
    - It feels very solid
    - The viewfinder is nice and big but not quite as breathtaking as the D700 or D800

Overall it gave me a very favourable impression, more so than the first time I picked up the D7000 for example. I thought it seemed more like the D300 than the D7000.
    Charles

Had some time to kill the other day, so I dropped in to my favorite camera store and held the D600. Must say, sure felt good. Also came across some unexpected dough and just maybe, just maybe thinking about upgrading from my D7000. In my current lens collection I have two that should work just fine with the D600, the 50mm and the 70-300mm, but that leaves a gap that needs to filled.
    Any suggestions ? Not into sports photography. People, landscape and wild life are my interest.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    Had some time to kill the other day, so I dropped in to my favorite camera store and held the D600. Must say, sure felt good. Also came across some unexpected dough and just maybe, just maybe thinking about upgrading from my D7000. In my current lens collection I have two that should work just fine with the D600, the 50mm and the 70-300mm, but that leaves a gap that needs to filled.
    Any suggestions ? Not into sports photography. People, landscape and wild life are my interest.
    Get the kit with the 24-85VR, I find it works really well, the D800 fits in the same bag as my D300, great.
    You don't need the 35mm f1.8 any more (50mm f1.4 replaces it)
    You don't need the 55-200mm any more (70-300 replaces it)

Good. The lenses you don't need any more also happen to be the most economical in your collection.

I've kept my 16-85VR which I occasionally use in DX mode (10Mpix on the D600) when I need something a little longer than the 24-85 but I don't want to be changing lenses all the time. I know there is the 24-120 f4 VR but it's big and apparently the performance from 70mm upwards is not brilliant.
    Charles

Thanks for your reply Charles.
    I will check out the kit lens.
    When checking out the d600, I had the 24-120 on it, and the weight was not too bad, however, that lens apparently does not get good reviews, which is too bad as the range appeals to me.
    Well, as I mentioned before.. it's just a maybe at this time, pending on what I can sell my d7000 and the 3 lenses for.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information