Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

I didn't have my filters with me when I took this shot

I didn't have any filters with me when I took this shot but there is something about it that I really like. I am not exactly sure what it about this photo but something draws me in. What do you think? I would love some feedback (I am brand new to photography).

n8

Re: I didn't have my filters with me when I took this shot

Which filters would you have used? I like all the lines, which may be what drew you to it, however the blown spot above the train draws the eye, and I don't think that's what you wanted. This would have been a prime candidate for hdr.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I don't think hdr would work because the train is moving but good idea otherwise.
    The blown sky is just too dominant for me.
    Maybe those that are good at post editing will have some suggestions.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

How about replacing the sky with one from another photo - nice beet of blue with fluffy clouds.

A ND grad would have been useful if you had the time to put it on and sort the position of the gradation, which you probably wouldn't have if the train is moving.

Regards
    Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

That dude with a camera

The lines are cool, but the sky... you should try again, with another light.

Maybe a non-contiguous select on white, deselect unintended pieces, and fill or paint as desired. A little trial and error, probably. Maybe even invert the selection and paste onto a nice sky picture, not too dark a pic.

I really like the idea of adding a sky to the picture. I played with it some tonigt but I didn't have any good results. I am still learning photoshop though. I will keep trying! Thanks for all the feedback

n8

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    I don't think hdr would work because the train is moving but good idea otherwise.
    The blown sky is just too dominant for me.
    Maybe those that are good at post editing will have some suggestions.
    The movement might be cool...but the still/average exposure of the train could be brushed in.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Hi Lindsey :-) From one beginner to another, haha! My first thought was that maybe the red of the bridge could be more intense, and the sky more blue, for the contrast? Can you do this in your editing program somehow? What I like about your photo is how serene it looks given that it is a city scene. The train is somehow calm, as is the concrete building next to it. City scenes can be so busy they make your heart palpitate, but this one makes me feel relaxed. Like its the evening ride home after work :-) There is an evening sun glow or something, and the street lamps are glowing warm as if they just came on. So, just the sky and bridge could maybe pop some more?

Thread Information