Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Trying to Sharpen Better

I'm trying to focus the camera as carefully as I can to reduce the amount of pp processing. That focussing magnifyer really seems to help.

Vivitar 28mm f2.5 lens

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Trying to Sharpen Better

Don, what software are you using to sharpen?
    The trees look pretty sharp but not the flowers.
    Don't know if it's sharpening or focus problem.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

n8

I'd be curious to see them sooc
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I have often thought that your images look a bit over processed for my own tastes but it seems to be the style that you have developed for yourself so if it works for you, stick with it.

What is your sharpening/PP workflow?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

It's complicated. I use Paintshop Pro X4. I often use local tone mapping, high bandpass sharpening, outline filters, sometimes noise filters.

Don, I spent the better part of a year concentrating on pp sharpening techniques. I've narrowed my workflow down to a few techniques that achieve visibly sharper results. If you ever want to strike up a conversation......
    I have no intention of tiptoeing through life only to arrive safely at death.

What techniques do you use?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I use High Pass filter to do my sharpening in Photoshop. I create a duplicate of my background layer, then go to Filter > Other > High Pass. I adjust the Radius so I have a faint outline around what I want to sharpen and click OK. Then I change the blend mode of that layer to either Overlay or Soft Light depending on what I'm looking for. Soft Light is a little more subtle than Overlay. Then I will add a layer mask to that layer and brush away the sharpening in areas where I don't think it needs it. In the case of this image, I would remove the sharpening in the grass behind the turtle and maybe the are foreground at the bottom of the image as well.

It might be kind of hard to tell with these low res images, but the difference is there. It's subtle, but there. To me, that is one of the keys to sharpening. Getting it sharp without making it look like it's over-sharpened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying to Sharpen Better-_mg_2906.jpg   Trying to Sharpen Better-picture-2.jpg   Trying to Sharpen Better-picture-3.jpg   Trying to Sharpen Better-after.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thread Information