Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
    GB1

Painted Waterfall

An artistic endeavor. Comments welcome.

G

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

MB1

Re: Painted Waterfall

It is an interesting spot that I think you could do a lot with but I didn't even notice the waterfall in this image the first time I looked at it.
    No, I DON'T need that.

The rock face at right almost induces a sense of vertigo. Speculates about how far the little waterfall has yet to tumble. I really enjoy the combination of textures here. The waterfall ends rather abruptly but cant suggest an alternative as I think if you took this in portrait (vertical) in order to include more of it you'd lose the beautiful combination of textures.

Nod

That is an interesting composition and an eye pleasing shot. Obviously a crop, could you show the original ? The placing of the waterfall is very clever, hardly noticeable.

GB1

Thanks fellows.

Here's the original. It's not too different than what I first posted..

MB, I agree that the waterfall is pretty discrete.. to me it seems like a garden hose left running. Yes there were so many possibilities in this place. It was a bit of a challenge to shoot there though, and a little dangerous (slippery).

Dennis, thanks, you're pretty spot on that this place was a little scary and I didn't want to get too close to that edge (didn't feel like falling the 15-20 or so feet down). Here's a pic showing the water. I guess it isn't that far but sure seemed like it.

Nod, thanks on the composition. I don't remember what compelled me to set it up like this, but it does seem funny. Here's the full image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Painted Waterfall-dsc_9716_800.jpg  

My Site

Outstanding textures and good crop from the original

the title of water fall doesn't do justice to the image, as I see it, is more about the rock wall than the water fall, which is good touch, but to small to be the center of attention ?

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Outstanding textures and good crop from the original

the title of water fall doesn't do justice to the image, as I see it, is more about the rock wall than the water fall, which is good touch, but to small to be the center of attention ?
    Armando - Thanks. I also thought it might be fun to make them look for the waterfall

My Site

I think the position of the waterfall is unique how it kind of "enters" into the photograph. I just wish it was the waterfall that was more in focus than the rocks. Good photo

Interesting. I like the overall composition of the photo but since you termed it the "painted waterfall", I was surprised how long it took me to find the water. The first thing that caught my eye is the stone and the plant. Nevertheless, I really like the way the stone jumps off of the page.

I like the original. The HDR processing really suits the image and it is very effective as an illustration. Nothing more to say, really. I like it.

GB1

Thanks guys. It's funny how everyone's initially having a hard time seeing the waterfall in a picture titled Waterfall. These rocks really stand out and I am happy with the sharpness of the image. I think it goes to show that using a tripod is always a good thing (of course, a tripod's a requirement for an HDR).

My Site

I like this photo for its colors & textures. What caught my eye was the shadow of the plant and the shadows throughout the rock face. Nice shot

Thread Information