Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Purchasing a D5100 which Lense?

Hey guys! Just found this site a few days ago and have already learned a lot. I've always liked taking pictures but just had a point and shoot. Finally decided to upgrade to a SLR camera. Been looking at Best Buy and they have a package where you can get the body and 18-55mm VR Lens. . Of course I'll also take regular shots of people and other things. The other package they have includes the 18-55 lens as well as the 55-200 lens. The main thing I'm wanting to take pics of would be animals in a field or farm scenes with farm tractors and combines. How far away should I expect both of these lenses to zoom in? Could I take it to a MLB game and be able to zoom in to get the players on the field good??? Sorry for all the questions, this is totally new to me. Thanks guys! Just noticed I spelled lens wrong...lol
    Last edited by blueraid; 02-28-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Spelled lens wrong, Thread Title

Re: Purchasing a D5100 which Lense?

The 18-55 would be useless from the stands unless you want the whole field, but nobody wants the whole field, they want the action.
    The 200 would be useful for the first base side if you're on the lower level of the first base side, or the third base side if you're on the lower level of the third base side. Don't expect Sports Illustrated tight-in action shots.
    Last edited by wfooshee; 02-29-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Re: Purchasing a D5100 which Lense?

Always an easy question but no simple answer.
    The one possible issue with a single " do-all " lens is that it may be too heavy to haul around all day and or too expensive for your liking. You may want to consider two lenses, such as the 16-85 and a 70-300 lens. Just some food for thought. More opinions will surely follow.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Thread Information