Camera Dealer Feedback Forum

This forum is moderated by, Grandpaw.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Anyone ever sell gear to Adorama?

Quote Originally Posted by JJfilms View Post
    .....They paid me $150 and then they posted it for $850......
    I'm sorry, but there are currently around 28,000 used items in the warehouse. There can be 20 or 30 identical models, the only differences being cosmetic and/or mechanical condition; there really is no basis to assert that a unit you see onn the website is the exact same one you sent in.

Quote Originally Posted by JJfilms View Post
    If it's ok with you I will use your story as well whenever my colleagues ask me about selling to or buying from adorama?
    If you really want to help your colleagues, it would be far more beneficial to them if you were to pass on my direct contact details: Helen@adorama.com

Quote Originally Posted by dcpotter22 View Post
    Well its been 10 full business days since June 9th when Jack supposedly sent the final $100, and no check has arrived. ........
    After corresponding thru email you emailed us the corrected apt number – we corrected it in our data base

We reissued you the $100 check and send it out UPS 2 day air

We also emailed you the tracking number

We had to to do everything via email (which takes longer), since, I am told, you are not accessible via phone

Hi Helen, I hope you can help me.

On June 23rd I spoke with Charles about selling my Canon 5D Mark ii. He was polite and took time to go over all of the details about the sale. I have sold several things to Adorama before so I fully understand how it all works. Charles emailed several times after to check on the shipment and provided great customer service.

Yesterday, July 8th, I got an email from Stephanie saying to please call Jack regarding my quote. Jack was not nearly as nice as Charles, it was hard to hear him due to the massive amount of background noise, and he was very rushed.

He told me that the LCD screen had condensation on it, therefore the camera was rated at lower than what I expected. I was shocked by this. I keep very good care of my cameras, keep them in Pelican boxes, and absolutely would have noticed if there was any condensation in the screen. The camera is in perfect condition, less than 35,000 actuations, no scratches on the LCD, and certainly no condensation. When I pressed him on it he admitted that he had not actually seen the camera, it was just what someone told him. He then used a lot of buzz words like 'not offend you', 'to honor you' and said he would call the department back and have them reevaluate the camera. He asked what I would take for it and I said about $150 more than what he offered since I know the true condition of the camera. (That still comes under the 70%) He stated he would tell them that amount and they could agree or ship it back. I asked him twice when he would call back and twice he stated no later than 5:30. (I assume EST). I also asked that he call me first before doing anything so I could make the final decision. I never received a call back.

At 1:09 am today I did receive a call that traces back to Adorama Executive Offices in NYC. They did not leave a message. Weird.

Today, July 9th, I called Jack at 8:30 (CST) and got voicemail. I then called again at 9:30 and got voicemail. I did not leave a message either time because the original email said if you leave a message it could take up to 2 days for a reply.

Edit to add: Jack was willing to up the price and give me 'considerably more' if I bought something instead of getting cash. That seems pretty sleazy and just all around a bad way of doing business. I was very clear from the beginning that I wanted to sell straight out.

An update: I spoke to Jack this morning and we came to an agreement on the price for my camera. He did spend a good amount of time with me on the phone and we discussed things in more detail. He was very clear on all of my options and wanted to make sure that I felt like it was a fair deal. I order from Adorama quite often and would consider using them again when I sell gear.

I have sold gear to Adorama but am not unsure if I would do it again. Customer Service Ambassador Helen Oster has contacted me and I am looking forward to how things might be going forward.
    Last edited by Pat S; 11-05-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: too long

Quote Originally Posted by Pat S View Post
    I have sold gear to Adorama but am not likely to do it again. ...................
    I was extremely concerned to read the description of your experience, Pat - can you please email me as soon as is convenient: Helen@adorama.com, soi that I can address the issues you've raised.

Please accept my deepest apologies; we clearly have not served you well up 'til now, and I'd like to ensure that, going forward, you are looked after as you should have been.

Thank you, Helen, for your kind post. It goes along way towards renewing my confidence in Adorama's concern for me as a customer. I have also received an email and voicemail from Stephanie in Jack Gold's office. She relays his request that I call him as soon as possible. I am not sure that speaking with Jack would be very productive at this time. If he intends to discuss the details about what he remembers compared to what I remember, it would only serve to renew the frustration I felt at the time. I don't know what the answer is but I feel that Jack could probably think of something if he was motivated to do so. If the concern is over the post I made on the on line forum just a few hours ago, it can easily be deleted or modified.
    Last edited by Pat S; 11-05-2014 at 11:26 PM.

I've made the used department manager aware of your feelings - and IF you still feel things are not going as you'd like them to, then please contact me again

Thanks Helen for getting involved and caring about your customers. Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    Thanks Helen for getting involved and caring about your customers. Jeff
    Always a pleasure!

my friend did but not much.

Hi all,
    I writing this for anyone who googles for more info about selling to adorama.
    It wasn't clear to me that when they offer a price over the phone for your camera that the price they say is what they want to sell it for, NOT a ballpark idea of what they will offer YOU. During my initial phone call I was offered an amount that was 70% of what other similar cameras go for on their secondhand store. Now I wasn't expecting to get exactly that 70%, maybe 65 or 60% would be fine but instead I hear back that the initial price they gave me (this wasn't mentioned in the first call that lead me to sending the camera to adorama) was what they would sell it for and I was to be offered 60% of that initial offer. Now we are talking about $1000 difference here, a difference that makes me feel like it should have been made very obvious over the phone in that first call. I have emailed adorama about this and hope to hear back soon, but I just want to warn others so they don't fall into the same situation. I know they send things back but I feel like I've been baited here.
    I don't understand why they need to tell you the prices in this cryptic way, surely if this is how it is done then I can't be the first to have been misinformed (again, on the phone I was not told that the offer was what they wanted to sell the camera for, which happened to be 70% of the price of the other similar cameras, and that I would be offered only 60% of that initial offer). Be careful, I'm sure they are great to deal with in most cases, I myself have bought from them before and been very happy, but in this case I feel the process was very misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by One more frame View Post
    Hi all,
    I writing this for anyone who googles for more info about selling to adorama.................... I'm sure they are great to deal with in most cases, I myself have bought from them before and been very happy, but in this case I feel the process was very misleading.
    From the description of your experience it certainly does sound as though the rep you spoke to wasn't as clear as could have been expected.
    Can you please email me: Helen@adorama.com with your order number, so I can take a look at this?
    thank you.

Ok, an update. Jack at Adorama took the time to chat with me further about this and explained how it all works. It seems on the first call I miss understood the initial offer, as stated above. Anyway, they were really nice about it all and we have made a deal somewhere in the middle. So to anyone reading this, be sure to clarify the numbers on the first call before you send in your camera, but also know that The Adorama dept will take the time to help out. I'm happy with it all now and would recommend the service.

Quote Originally Posted by One more frame View Post
    Ok, an update. Jack at Adorama took the time to chat with me further about this and explained how it all works. It seems on the first call I miss understood the initial offer, as stated above. Anyway, they were really nice about it all and we have made a deal somewhere in the middle. So to anyone reading this, be sure to clarify the numbers on the first call before you send in your camera, but also know that The Adorama dept will take the time to help out. I'm happy with it all now and would recommend the service.
    Thanks so much for updating the thread

Happy Holidays everybody

i do not want to say anything

Quote Originally Posted by andyflower01 View Post
    i do not want to say anything
    If you have an ongoing or unresolved issue with selling to Adorama, please email me directly with details so I can help: Helen@adorama.com

It won't be. He uses used stuff to fill the order. It's a wash. I fell for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cincidian View Post
    It won't be. He uses used stuff to fill the order. It's a wash. I fell for it.
    If that has been your experience, we would view that very seriously indeed. Please email me with details, and it will be addressed without delay: Helen@adorama.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information