Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: White Sands

GB1

White Sands

Thanks for critiquing.

Kodachrome lives!

Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: White Sands

Kodachrome? Is that that "film" stuff all you old timers talk about?
    J/k Greg

Love the detail and contrast. I think it would have been nice to have that dominant diagonal line go somewhere, it seems to take me right out of the picture. But I really like the textures, I bet it looks even better on film.

Matt

For me the shots fine ,but the black border thing is a distraction. Perhaps stand the shot off a light background with a drop shadow.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

The black border is the slide mount, shadowed in the scanner, not something he added in composition.

MB1

Love the simplicity of the composition and texture in the sand but I think the WB is too cool.
    No, I DON'T need that.

Nice shot. Simple but elegant.
    Please have a look and leave a comment or three...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46180527@N03/sets/

Thanks!!!

GB1

Thanks for commenting. The border is indeed the actual slide mount. It's curved corners was my frequent enemy when trying to scan: you have to decide whether you want to lose some of the horizontal image area, or the vertical. The things people and companies like Kodak do to try to be different.

Matt, I see what you mean about the diagonal line departing to nowhere. It's a bit sad that vertical formats often have this problem. I guess that's part of the reason why landscape is more popular.

And yeah, that's film Shot this up about two years ago, in time to get it developed before the last lab - Dwaynes - stopped its KR processing. I wonder if some company will start making and developing Kodachrome again one day, just for grins?

Pete, I agree that the black border is a bit intense. I just tried the drop shadow but couldn't get it to look right, so here's just the image w/o a border -- any better?

MB1, it is a tad cool. I can try livening it up.

Thanks too, Wfooshee and Baldemont.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails White Sands-whitesands4_800.jpg  

My Site

Yeah thats better imo, out of curiosity how white should those sands really be ? Is the Red/Brown tint a time of day thing ?
    I also think this is one of those rare occasions in which the sky is improved through the absence of clouds....
    Last edited by hminx; 01-14-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

Greg, I really like this image. You've done a great job capturing the detail of the wind-grain in the sand and there are lots of lines to follow throughout the scene. The unframed version is much better, IMO. I think Pete's thought is the same that struck me, I would expect more whiteness to the sand, rather than the earth tones currently showing...but you were there.
    Ken

My Website: His Creation
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky

Last edited by Neous; 01-14-2012 at 02:49 AM.

very nice shot, thanks for sharing

GB I have always loved your film shots. This one is very nice. A classic looking shot. I would love to have a print of this. Great depth, patterns ect. Nice work.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Thanks guys! It seems that barring a really bad day in the field, getting decent shots of White Sands is pretty easy to do. The sand is mostly white, but not so much when the sun starts getting near the horizon. At that point, it is indeed more brownish and, depending on the situation in the sky, has a bluish tint (if your brain lets you see what's really there, instead of correcting for it). Also note that unlike Fuji Velvia or the Ektachrome series, Kodachrome was a very neutral film, so you were much more likely to get natural colors.

Thanks Pete, great point! I never realized that about the sky; clouds usually add interest, but when you have a nice foreground subject, I guess they can actually distract!

Ken, thanks too. This one's slightly conflicted, like I am not sure whether it's settled or tense in the portrait format, with the lines being cut like they are. Not bad for a change-up, anyway.

Greg, I wonder if somehow my film shots come out better due to the film? Hmm.

Thanks also, Neous.

My Site

great photo

Thread Information