Canon Cameras Equipment Forum

For discussing all things Canon - Canon digital SLRs, Canon PowerShot digital cameras, Canon film cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. Your Canon Cameras Forum moderator is livin4lax09.
Canon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Canon Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Canon 35mm Film SLR Reviews >>
All Canon Product Reviews >>
Canon Cameras & History >>

New Canon EOS-1D X 18-Megapixel Full Frame Camera

Canon announced a new pro digital SLR tonight. The new EOS-1D X replaces both the 1D Mark IV and the 1Ds III. It's got an 18-megapixel full-frame sensor, full HD video, a new metering system, a new 61-point auto focus system and like all the other 1D cameras, it's built like a tank.

Canon EOS-1D X Merges Speed, Image Quality and Video >>

Oh yeah - the price is $6800. That puts it out of reach of most photographers. I know I can't afford it. But that won't stop me from lusting after it - mostly for the new auto focus system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Photo-John; 06-20-2012 at 08:04 AM.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: New Canon EOS-1D X 18-Megapixel Full Frame Camera

Looks pretty good on paper, can't wait to see what it does in real world testing. After seeing the Digic V processor in some P&S cameras, we knew it was only a matter of time before it made it's way into a DSLR. I'm a bit surprised they didn't include an articulating LCD screen. 61 focus points is pretty impressive but l wish they would spread them out a bit. They give you a lot of options, but they are still pretty much clustered around the center of the VF. I'm glad to see Canon stuck with CF cards for this camera. They just feel more solid than SD cards.

I'm hoping this announcement will be followed by the announcement of an upgraded to the 5D Mk ll and the 7D. With the new lens purchase I made last week, I'm no longer in the market for a new body, but I would love to have a more affordable option with some of these performance upgrades.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 10-18-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

What no EOS-1Ds?

Is this the end of the megapixel war? Has Canon recognised that 18Mpix is enough and that the important thing is to focus on the quality of the image and high ISO performance (for a camera intended for sports and action at least).

I hope so. I think that Nikon are going in the same way, judging by what their Research Director said last year.

Unfortunately - Internet is full of rumours of a 24x36 36Mpix Sony sensor which should equip Sony and Nikon DSLR's in the near future. Wait and see.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Re: What no EOS-1Ds?

I think this is the end of the megapixel war, Charles. At least for the high-end. At least for some people. I have no doubt that there are photographers - maybe less informed photographers - complaining about the lower resolution. It's important to note that the 1D X isn't just intended for sports photographers. It's specifically meant to replace both the 1D and the 1Ds cameras. So it's designed to answer the needs of both the 1D and the 1Ds user - speed and image quality.

I think Nikon and Canon have let go of resolution as the ultimate measure of camera performance and image quality. That does not appear to be the case with Sony. I'm not sure why they want to keep pushing resolution. Maybe it's their consumer background. Even if the image quality stands up, I don't think most people will really want to deal with that kind of resolution. It costs more in processing time, storage media and hard drive space. I wish my 7D was 15-megapixels instead of 18.
    Photo-John

Very impressive figures. So is this a replacement for both the 1D and hte 1Ds, hence the X, for 'fusion' or something? I can't see anything it has that an upgraded 1Ds wouldn't, except possibly a higher resolution. So the price is high, but its not as high as it has been when they release these (~8k-9k). Thats good.

It costs more in processing time, storage media and hard drive space
    Years ago I think the sentiment applied, but today computer stuff is incredibly inexpensive and powerful. 2TB drives and super fast quad core cpus can be had for $60 a pop. Computer technical resources are a bountiful abundance at this point and we shouldn't limit ourselves thus.

I don't mind huge resolution figures so long as it is at least relatively decent on higher ISO grain.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    hence the X, for 'fusion' or something?

I read that the X is because this is the 10th generation EOS.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Hmm. So, is this not then the 1Ds replacement? I can't imagine what they'd add on top for a 1Ds, minus maybe a higher resolution sensor. Given its category, price and AF speed its also clear this will replace the 1D. hmmm... I wonder what Sony and Nikon will do in response.

In any event, this looks to be a rock solid camera, top dog DSLR for now. Can't wait to see how it does at 12800.
    - Charlie

Hmm. So, is this not then the 1Ds replacement?
    Yes, it is. One of the first things my article said is that the 1D and 1Ds camera lines have been merged into the 1D X. Canon chose an 18-megapixel full frame sensor because they felt it offered the perfect balance of speed and image quality. I too am looking forward to seeing some real world IQ samples. I'm going to New York for PhotoPlus tomorrow and I'm really hoping they have one at the show. If they do, and they let me put a card in it, I'll definitely get some high ISO sample photos to share
    Photo-John

Doh! Wow, my skimming skills can use some tuning. Thanks for pointing that out. I agree, it does seem to strike a good balance between the two.
    - Charlie

I posted this in the 1D X thread in the sports forum, but thought it should go here as well.

Looks like the 1D-X will turn off the AF if you are using a lens with an aperture smaller than f/5.6. Not a big deal for lenses in general, but could be an issue when using a TC with this body. The current 1D series cameras allow the use of the center AF point when using an f/4 lens and a 2x TC. This is something people have been dealing with on camera bodies other than the 1D series so it doesn't seem to be a big deal, just something new for the 1D users.

Canon 1D X Loses Autofocus When Max Aperture Smaller than f/5.6
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Hmm. So, is this not then the 1Ds replacement? I can't imagine what they'd add on top for a 1Ds, minus maybe a higher resolution sensor. Given its category, price and AF speed its also clear this will replace the 1D. hmmm... I wonder what Sony and Nikon will do in response.
    Here's my guess:
    - Nikon will release the D4 with pretty much the same spec at $5K and force Canon prices down.
    - Canon, Nikon and Sony will all release under $3K bodies with higher resolution sensors but simplified autofocus, weatherproofing, lower ISO, lower frame rate etc. An evolution of the 5DMkII, A900, or D700.

When you're a fashion or wedding photographer or you work mostly in the studio or you do architecture or landscapes you don't need 10 frames per second, weatherproofing, super high ISO, 45 cross autofocus points..
    Sports photographers will continue to use the 1DX and D4 because they do need all that. But they don't need super high resolution (not sure the first group does either..)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Learning more everyday! maplestreet's Avatar

I am late to the party, but just incase people still want more info, here are a couple more resources on the 1D X.

Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon announces 17.92 million image pixel EOS-1D X
    Technical article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcXG...eature=related
    Sample pics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlL9...eature=related
    Macro samples

Canon 1DX: Continuous Shooting | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Video of 14fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlL9...eature=related
    More FPS deliciousness.
    Bert

Feel free to edit and repost my photos for critique if you feel so inclined! :idea:

Canon 40D
    Canon 7D
    Canon EOS Rebel 2000
    Canon Powershot SX120
    -----------------------------------
    EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS

Thread Information