Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Circular polarizer question

As most of you know my wife and I are going with my boys and their family to Disney World the week before Christmas. I have asked several questions already about equipment to use and now I have another one. This will probably be the only trip we ever get to take together like this and I want to make sure I am prepared, so please bear with me with all these questions. I have looked at hundreds of pictures on line and was wondering just how useful a polarizing filter would be. I came across this set of pictures and was wondering if the pictures in the link below were just metering error or is it something a circular polarizing filter might have helped?

Disney's Share A Dream Come True Parade photo - Bill Myers photos at pbase.com

I do not have any experience using filters so any info you may give that would help out on our trip would be great. The simpler the better. I was thinking of getting a screw on circular polarizing filter that screws on because the three lenses I will probably be using are all 77mm. I purchased the Cokin System with the ND filters and the C polarizing filter but I think they will be to much of a pain down there. Will this one filter cover most of my needs? As always, if you have any ideas or suggestions please reply, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Re: Circular polarizer question

Any polarizing filter can remove reflections, and may darken the sky. But only use circular polarizing filters with digital cameras as the output of the circular polarizing filter is depolarized after the polarizing filter as the camera's sensing elements my give the camera the wrong readings on polarized light (poor focus and/or exposure).
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by freygr View Post
    Any polarizing filter can remove reflections, and may darken the sky. But only use circular polarizing filters with digital cameras as the output of the circular polarizing filter is depolarized after the polarizing filter as the camera's sensing elements my give the camera the wrong readings on polarized light (poor focus and/or exposure).
    Thanks for your reply. I have been doing a lot of research on polarize filters and this is the filter that I am thinking about getting. I have read a lot of reviews and they all rate it very high. I would rather not spend this much but I do not want to have to purchase again. I don't have unlimited funds so it needs to be something that will be happy with and not have to replace, Jeff

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...olarizing.html

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

B+W has a very good reputation. Expensive, but cheap won't do what is needed. I am not sure how often you would need a polarizer filter at Disney World. One might have cut some of the glare from the bubble in the photos.

I understand that best results are obtained when the sun is approximately 90 degrees to the direction of your shot, so that might factor into the usefulness.

I am contemplating the purchase of a similar filter, 86mm diameter. Just have to save up a bit.

Enjoy your trip

Phil

I just picked up a B+W. It rocks. I was very impressed with it last weekend shooting MX.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    I would rather not spend this much but I do not want to have to purchase again. I don't have unlimited funds so it needs to be something that will be happy with and not have to replace.
    If you want to save a little money, you could go with the non-Kaeseman version of that same filter. It's about $18 cheaper. The Kaesmeman version is sealed and designed to be used in extreme climates. No need to pay the extra money if you aren't going to be out in extreme weather.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Phil, zerodog and Mike I really appreciate your input. I think with the price of this filter being as high as it is already that adding a little extra to have the Kaeseman version would be worth it. That way I won't have any regrets later.

The part I am trying to decide now is should I get the "slim" or "wide" version of this filter. I plan on using it on a 10-20mm and 17-50mm wide lenses. I am still reading and doing research so any information or thoughts pro or con for either filter would be great. I don't want to find out I purchased the wrong one after I get it, Jeff

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    The part I am trying to decide now is should I get the "slim" or "wide" version of this filter. I plan on using it on a 10-20mm and 17-50mm wide lenses. I am still reading and doing research so any information or thoughts pro or con for either filter would be great. I don't want to find out I purchased the wrong one after I get it, Jeff
    If you are going to use this filter on your 10-20mm lens, I would get the slim version, but it might be worth testing out first. Do you currently have a filter that you use on this lens? If so, does it have threads for attaching another filter and does it cause vignetting? If not, do you plan on stacking the polarizer onto another filter? If so, I think you will end up with vignetting at 10mm.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but something else you should keep in mind when using a polarizing filter on a wide angle lens is that you will often times loose the polarizing affect the farther you get away from the sun. This is caused because the angle to the sun has changed from one side of the frame to the other.

For example, if the sun is directly to your right as you are shooting a landscape scene, the sky on the right side of the frame may be really dark, and gradually get lighter as you move across the frame to the left. For some, this is not a good thing, others don't mind it and some people spend time evening out the sky in post.

Check this out to see what I'm talking about.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog View Post
    I just picked up a B+W. It rocks. I was very impressed with it last weekend shooting MX.
    I was wondering if one of these would work for me when I'm out at my local Kart track, here in Las Vegas, things get a bit 'washed-out', so will this benefit me at all AND am I going to slow my shutter speed down so much that everything (the Karts going past me) is going to be a BLUR ???

I'm open to any other sugestions as well, Thanks to all.
    Roger

I called and talked with B&H Camera about which version to get, slim or regular, and they suggested the NON SLIM version. I will be able to use my lens cap instead of the push on one that is required with the slim version that according to reviews keeps falling off. By it being a little thicker it will be easier to put on and remove and also have threads in the front. I took two of my UV filters and stacked them on the 10mm and did not see any darkness in the corners. They told me if I wasn't happy with how it worked that I had thirty days to return it, Jeff

Thread Information