Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Question doing dishes-what do you think

or maybe hot water...o.k. so this is another "doing dishes shot"-- just cut me some slack;)

I really liked all the elements in this shot and the way they came together and I especially like the steam from the scalding hot water that pours out of our pipes.

Just thought it had an interesting look-thatnks for bearing with my housewife Photography

comments welcome--ya hate it-I'm nots-you love it...whatever

again trying to play with BW mode f/4.4, 1/100, and I adjusted curves in PS and cropped
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doing dishes-what do you think-dishes.jpg  
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 02-19-2004 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Unsticking it... Thanks again Nat!
    "I was not trying to be shocking, or to be a pioneer.
    I wasn't trying to change society, or to be ahead of my time.
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

i like this shot. especially the different textures, stainless steel, porcelain, the liquids and the steam. i also really like the lighting. oh, and the composition. i guess i like this shot, period. did i already say that...?
    "Too much color blinds the eye."
    -Lao Tze

I like this shot but I wish the part of the sink where the water is streaming into was more well lit. I've seen photos of this before and the stream of water onto the stainless always makes a really cool star-shaped design when it's lit up and this pic lacks that. It also looks like it was cropped too because the LxW it kinda weird, I'm not sure if I like that, I think I'd like to see it uncropped.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Uncropped

I'm afraid that the original doesn't have that much more that would make this image better...

I liked the different textures but I wasn't crazy at the angles I shot fom (all in the middle of feeding two kids lunch--not the most optimal shooting time)

so here ya go...does it help or still leave you hanging

Thnaks for looking and giving your input
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails doing dishes-what do you think-dishes2.jpg  
    I didn't think of myself as liberated, and I don't believe that I did anything important.
    I was just myself. I didn't know any other way to be, or any other way to live."
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

I like the origional better than the cropped version. Very intriguing pic! I like
    Mel

I agree with MelissaD - I like the uncropped better. The spout frames the picture. I too would have like to see some more lighting in that dark corner. Ah well, if it were me, I probably would've gotten the camera under the water by accident ...

2k2s

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    too contrasty, would you like me to "fix" it??? hehehe

filter the lighting and add exposure and you'll have a tighter latitude to work with.

the theme/concept is there!

great quote too!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Talking Great Effort!!

Great effort Natalie!
    Great vison on your part! I'd say this is one of your artiest images I have seen!
    The textures work very well. Texture is composional element afterall.
    I would have to agree with a few of the others, that it would be a bit better if the area the water and steam were just a little better lighted.
    I like the cropped one best, the hot spot is distracting.

Great photo Nat!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Talking Thanks everyone

For all of your input...thanks for the encouragement as well. I'm stuck in a photo funk and trying to stay creative...ultimately I would love to spend my day taking pics but alas the real world calls-lol...

Thanks again for your honest,witty, encouraging, and helpful comments
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Intermediate member bobbythebandit's Avatar
    I lke it too.Textures, shadows, light and the slowly rising steam! well spotted and well done for being alert to any possibilities for a shot. Have you no dishwasher ? mine is called liz ha ha

mine is called

Larry--- he got a bonus at work and I said "sweetheart get something for yourself with that money and save the rest" his response---- "I am we're getting a dishwasher" lol

It gets delivered tomorrow HA!

Thanks for your kind words
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Very Nice Nat!

Quote Originally Posted by natatbeach
    I'm afraid that the original doesn't have that much more that would make this image better...

I liked the different textures but I wasn't crazy at the angles I shot fom (all in the middle of feeding two kids lunch--not the most optimal shooting time)

so here ya go...does it help or still leave you hanging

Thnaks for looking and giving your input

I like both shots. The cropped shot almost has an abstract look to it. The bowls are recognizable, but it's difficult to tell where it is without your telling us. I really like the lighting and the composition of this one.

I like the original because you can see it in context. You can see the edge of the sink, you can tell that that highlight in the upper left corner is water from the faucet. I can see why folks like it. But I still like the cropped version as well. :-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

i like the wider shot (2nd one you posted) the best, personally. i feel it gives more frame of reference by including the sink rim. i really like this shot a lot. i'm partial to the texture of the stainless steel. the highlighted steam is striking.

Smile

I like the original uncropped version as well. It is a good photo. the textures and the steam capture the interest.

I like the cropped one

but I am an abstracty kind of girl. I like not knowing what else was going on. The mystery behind what I can see. While the original is a great shot, I simply am drawn to what takes the ordinary and makes it something other.

Quote Originally Posted by kafin8ed
    I like this shot but I wish the part of the sink where the water is streaming into was more well lit. I've seen photos of this before and the stream of water onto the stainless always makes a really cool star-shaped design when it's lit up and this pic lacks that. It also looks like it was cropped too because the LxW it kinda weird, I'm not sure if I like that, I think I'd like to see it uncropped.
    I agree with Alan, the area of the water is too dark IMO. That makes it lack depth and tones. I think that would make it more balanced, as it stands now there is a huge contrast between the dark and light areas, just doesn't work for me...

...to elaborate on the above...The contrast I mention makes me pretty much stay focused on the bright highlight, occassionally moving to the dark area to search for something more of interest. It makes it feel unbalanced to me.
    Last edited by Sebastian; 02-17-2004 at 05:59 PM.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I agree with Alan, the area of the water is too dark IMO. That makes it lack depth and tones. I think that would make it more balanced, as it stands now there is a huge contrast between the dark and light areas, just doesn't work for me...

...to elaborate on the above...The contrast I mention makes me pretty much stay focused on the bright highlight, occassionally moving to the dark area to search for something more of interest. It makes it feel unbalanced to me.
    I agree with you about the limited range of tones... and it was that weirdeness that I liked about it--lol...not knowing exactly what you are looking at and where. But i think from a technical perspective as opposed to artistic--it really could have stood to have a better balance of lighting...especially where the sun was blasting the metal--a little texture would have gone a long way. I always appreciate your very direct and to the point critiques
    Bettie Page

My Temp site...

Nat,

Thanks. I always worry that I might offend people. I am blunt, sometimes too much in that I leave stuff out, but I mean well.

I really enjoy your presence here, you and your photos are a very positive influence.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Thread Information