Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Absent

Absent

missing a person sitting on the bench

Comments ?

Thanks for looking

GB1

Re: Absent

This one is very classical Armando. It could easily be a scene for a romantic novel, or a model dressed in Victorian era clothing (or French clothing). I think the shallow DOF really works - I will remember this for my shoots. If any improvements can be made, I would say that the scene could be tightened up a bit by moving to the left a little, and perhaps maybe making it slightly warmer. nice work.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

n8

Too bad they were empty. Nice image. The shallow dof works I think. I really want to see this in b&w though.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Greg, my thoughts exactly hence the name, absent model ... I edited and made the floor warmer, it does look better

n8, here is a b&w version , not a high contrast conversion as I think this soft contrast matches the mood best, seeing this edit , I like it better than the colored version

Thanks for your comments
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Absent-_dsc3919-copy.jpg  

n8

I actually like the color the more I look at it...that or the colors just look really good. I did have to go ahead and run it through silver efex, which has a "soft contrast" control that I just love to abuse. I also softened up the background and added some "structure" the the bench and pavement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Absent-6071931054_4332895999_b.jpg  
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

GB1

Don't know .. I think I prefer the color! Something about it .. those background flowers spark it up, give it optimism. Who knows. If you do go B&W I would lighten it up a little, maybe a third to half f stop.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

I like the punch of colour, composition, even thogh the bench seems to be leaning right. the path way is a nice lead, takes us to those trees in the BG, then takes a sharp right turn and don't see it anymore.

the thing that bugs me most about this is that the DOF seems unnatural. almost like it's blurred out in PP. other than that it's good.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

thanks Liban

the artificial part in the dof maybe due to a couple of steps in my pp
    1. I made the sky blue, it was white, this created some artificats that look like color aberration
    2 . added some "glamour glow" and that i'm sure is also contributing to the artificial softness of the oof areas

I don't know how to say this without it sounding negative. The color photo really looks fake. BUT, not in a bad way. Almost like a model of something, like the old scaled down model train scenes. I kind of like it. The flowers add a burst of color that really adds to the photo.

The first B&W doesn't do much for me... There just isn't enough contrast, and I didn't look very long at it to give in any opinions.

I do like the second B&W photo. It kind of gives it an older look.

The subject itself is very nice. Makes me wish I was there. I like the detail on the bench and sidewalk while everything else is in the background. Great job on the editing!

MadMax

Thread Information