Sony and Konica Minolta Cameras Forum

Sony Digital Cameras Forum This forum is for discussing Sony digital cameras and the Sony Alpha DSLR and Konica Minolta Maxxum / Dynax SLR systems.
Sony Digital SLR Reviews >>
Sony Above 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 8 to 10-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
Sony 6 to 7-Megapixel Digital Camera Reviews >>
All Sony Photography Product Reviews >>
Sony Digital Cameras & History Page >>
    May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

What do you all think about the new NEX-C3?

I have been very tempted by the NEX camera's since they came out, but I waited to see if the next one would be more "manual" friendly (i.e. more buttons for quick settings changes). It seems that the C3 has the same set of buttons as the old one, but now they are all customizable. Is it worth waiting and spending the extra $100 for the C3 or save that $100 and get a 3 now? What do you all think?

Re: What do you all think about the new NEX-C3?

There is supposed to be a firmware update for the NEX-3 & 5 soon. I'm not sure what the difference would be between a NEX-3/Update and a NEX-C3. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Well, there is a deal going on for the NEX-3 so I went for it. I am going on a trip to Vancouver Island/Seattle next week, and this will be a great camera for travel I think. I love my a700, but it's just waaay too big and heavy to lug around for anything where my primary focus isn't on photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck935 View Post
    Well, there is a deal going on for the NEX-3 so I went for it. I am going on a trip to Vancouver Island/Seattle next week, and this will be a great camera for travel I think. I love my a700, but it's just waaay too big and heavy to lug around for anything where my primary focus isn't on photography.
    What lens(es) did you get with it? - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I bought the kit with the 18-55 e-mount lens. That will suffice for general everyday shooting. I also picked up the LAEA-1 a-mount adapter so I could use my alpha lenses for more specialized shooting. Unfortunately, I only own one SSM lens at the moment so most of my lenses will be manual focus only. I hear the focus speed with the adapter isn't all that great anyway.

Be curious to hear your review of the camera...

As for the C3, compared to the regular 3, the reviews don't seem to mention much improvement in the camera, just a few knocks against the shrinkage it has gone through. Not quite as nice in the hand compared to the original.

I think I'm still tracking towards the a77, but will hold my money until I hear more about the Nex-7, just in case...

- G

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees View Post
    Be curious to hear your review of the camera...

As for the C3, compared to the regular 3, the reviews don't seem to mention much improvement in the camera, just a few knocks against the shrinkage it has gone through. Not quite as nice in the hand compared to the original.

I think I'm still tracking towards the a77, but will hold my money until I hear more about the Nex-7, just in case...

- G
    The "knocks" (I assume you mean Luminous Landscapes) seem to me to be complaints from those who don't want what it is intended to be - small. Large sensor on as small of a body as possible. Think the original Cobra (we'll call this the small block V8 version - the 427 will be the FF NEX). - Terry
    -----------------
    -----------------
    -----------------

I like your analogy Terry. It took me a while to figure it out. The NEX fulfills the role of light and fast. Casual shooting where photography isn't my primary focus. It'll be great for everyday events with friends and family, short hikes, street and travel photography. So as long as I recognize that the NEX will only be a compliment to my DSLR instead of an alternative/replacement, I suspect I will be very pleased with it.

However, I do not yet have the NEX in my possession. I will definitely report back after my trip and let you guys know how I am getting along with it.

Thread Information