Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Red Panda

Red Panda

Red Panda-dsc_0024_2.jpg
    One of my first few shots with my 55-200mm.
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

Re: Red Panda

Hello and thanks for posting. The subject of the photo is very interesting. I don't know how hard or easy it is to photograph this particular animal, however - it would have been nice if it was caught in full view - especially the tail - but it is still very interesting. The composition is not very strong as much of the photo on the right side of the picture does not add to the subject. The camera seemed to have focused on the branches in the middle of the frame ...which was ok since the panda was in the same general range. For next time, I would suggest zooming in closer (if possible) and trying to fill the frame with the panda and the tail - ignoring the rest of the environment and making sure you are focused on the eyes of the beast :-)

GB1

Welcome to the forums, Dman.

I like the composition here in general, and I think that the panda's head peaking out there is a really nice capture. The head may be a bit too bright.. it's borderline. The composition may be too wide though, as the head is small in the frame. There also seems to be a lot going on in the background (and middle ground) that may add just one too many distractions; I can see this but cropping out the top right greenery. Note that the leaves are nice looking, but that they may obfuscate things.

Anyway, post more!

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it. How's this? I wasn't sure if the face was too centered.

Red Panda-dsc_0026_2.jpg
    Nikon D3100
    Tamron 18-270 PZD
    Nikon 35mm

In both cases it looks like the camera has focused on the tree, the panda looks a tad out of focus, this may have been a good time to use the center only focus point or manually focus.
    Pete

Isn't it a cool thing in nature that the colours never seem to clash...

I have no issues with you editing my photos

GB1

Yeah the focus does seem to be on the tree, but the sharpness of the panda is acceptable I think. It is a bit centered and I think I would extend out the crop a bit to the right, even if that makes the width/height ratio unconventional. Very fun shot of this little creature ..

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Thread Information