Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: 2011 Sea Otter

2011 Sea Otter

Here is one of the images I got. I have 65 edited so far will end up with about 90 to show for editorial/commercial. I rented a 300 F2.8 L IS and a 1D IV. Here is the thing. I do not think I would purchase the IV now. If I pay $5K for a body it better not need any lens AF correction. I pay $30K for a 80MP Phase One do they need calibration? Or is that one of the reasons they are $30K? The 1D IV was fine with all lenses but the 300 it seemed. SO I bolted her onto the 1Ds II and went to town. Come to think of it a 1Ds II and 300 F2.8 IS would be about $1K more than a 1D IV would be........anyone else feel the same. Oh also do you like this shot?

Re: 2011 Sea Otter

My D3s needed corrections on almost every lens I put on. On the flip side, my 300s also did too. Mostly the other direction. It is called stacked tolerance. You get a little here and there and it adds up. At least with these high end bodies you can fine tune them.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    My D3s needed corrections on almost every lens I put on. On the flip side, my 300s also did too. Mostly the other direction. It is called stacked tolerance. You get a little here and there and it adds up. At least with these high end bodies you can fine tune them.

Even better is that my 5 year old 1Ds II has close to the same pixels per inch and it doesn't need it. I have a feeling Nikon and Canon met and said hey we need a little more coin. I mean in the owners manual it says only use if you drop your lens. That if the lens is that off it needs to be sent in. Its like buying a new car and one cylinder is making 3/4 the amount of compression as it should.
    I am gonna email them and see what they say.

Hi Ian: Nice photo (looks like first left-handed berm or is that lower in the course?). I don't know how the Mk IV or III focus, but I do know my old MKII is wonderful at capturing focus of fast moving subjects (as long as I set the focus points correctly). I really don't plan to get replace that body until is not repairable (new lens I always lust for).

BTW, how did the 300 deal with all the dust in the air? Every time I used my 200, the dust got in the way and really lower the contrast (which was a pain to fix in lightroom). I had to wait until the rider came out of the dust and was then too close for the lens.

Here is a completely different view of the course at the step-down right before the first left-hander.:

Hope you did not get too sunburned
    Regards
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_R
    Hi Ian: Nice photo (looks like first left-handed berm or is that lower in the course?). I don't know how the Mk IV or III focus, but I do know my old MKII is wonderful at capturing focus of fast moving subjects (as long as I set the focus points correctly). I really don't plan to get replace that body until is not repairable (new lens I always lust for).

BTW, how did the 300 deal with all the dust in the air? Every time I used my 200, the dust got in the way and really lower the contrast (which was a pain to fix in lightroom). I had to wait until the rider came out of the dust and was then too close for the lens.

Here is a completely different view of the course at the step-down right before the first left-hander.:

Hope you did not get too sunburned
    Regards
    Rick
    Rick the AF worked very well. It just need to be calibrated to the 300 to get sharp images. It was possiblt front focusing a little. The dust wasnt bad at all. I used it on the 1Ds and the 16-35 and 70-200 on the 1D IV. Oh yeah I got fried BTW....:mad2:

Did you use some sort of calibration tool to judge it or just guess? How bad was it? And at what F stop did you see the problems? Looks like on the image you posted f6 ish?

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    Did you use some sort of calibration tool to judge it or just guess? How bad was it? And at what F stop did you see the problems? Looks like on the image you posted f6 ish?

I did the 45 degree focus test it was hitting the front a few cm in front of the line. I adjusted it by 4 I used F2.8-F6 during the test. That had the 70-200 I played it safe it worked good.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Nice shot Rick, a few dust bunnies in there though.
    Same problem I have with my mkII bodies
    One day, I'll upgrade to new bodies with dust removal - and perhaps I'll be able to shoot at faster then 400ISO without wishing I had a new sensor.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Another..... not sure I like the light desat. dealio....

Okay I am gonna post up a few more. Getting sick of holding onto em.....I have about 78 edits on par or above these. So I came out good. I guess for 3 days out in the sun.

congrats on featured photo, love the wide angle.
    Jimmy B

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy B
    congrats on featured photo, love the wide angle.
    Jimmy B

Thanks had a few with the 15mm on the camera.

Thread Information