Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Smile Playing in the snow...

Okay, so we did get a few windows of sunshine during our 20+ days of snowfall in Tahoe during March. I was too busy trying to get the most turns in to setup any good shots, but I did snag a couple here and there... Nothing fancy, just some grab and goes...

The first shows what happens when you don't have the exact entry point into the photo worked out with the rider.. Or, more accurately, the rider changes his mind...

The next is what happens when you don't adjust for a shift in the horizon when the rider blows by you, going across your field of view, from above, to below:

Feeling a little frisky... Soft snow, why not a backflip?

It didn't end quite as planned... As he was dropping into the shadows below, we'll leave it up to the imagination...

Okay, back to the basics...

Just a nice casual turn in some of the better snow we found that day... Ending on a good note...

Next weekend, spring touring on the east side of the Sierra.. Hopefully the weather will make up it's mind... Might snow, might be sunny. All I know is there is a deep base, and plenty of options, conditions permitting...

Re: Playing in the snow...

Man I love Tahoe! Nice shots.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

That first shot could have been awesome!

That third picture is great, but the blue cast in the shadow really bugs me.
    Was it an evening shot?
    2011:02:27 16:54:51 in the EXIF, so was that a more golden light?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Yep, late day light.... You can see the line of the sun/shadow in the airborn snow under the rider... WB was set to daylight, as there was still direct sun, but you are right about the strong blue case in the shadow... The skies were pure blue overhead, so it's just a strong reflection I think. Either way, I'll see how it looks with a little warming...

But yes, I was sooo bummed about the first shot.. The rest in the sequence turned out okay, but that one is the one I wanted most. I was expecting him to drop in a hair lower in the frame, leaving plenty of room for his head. He decided to go a little bigger... Oh well... He was still quite happy with the results for the day...

Thread Information