Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: Vacancy

GB1

Vacancy

Something neat about old signs. But .. capturing them in a cool way is hard. C&Cs welcome. This was in Utah on a very cold morning.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacancy-dsc_9357_800.jpg  
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: Vacancy

I love old signs too. What about antiquing it? Or BW?
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

I'm leaving my husband for my D3X! I'm in love!!!

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

I am in no way saying this is the answer, just wanted to show more impact if we either cropped or burned it so that the snow had less of an impact, and the sign stood out more. There's a lot of stuff there competing with the subject.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacancy-test.jpg  
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

Please, feel free to edit the images I submit for critique. I'm a visual kind of gal!

I like the colours and would just try cropping in closer to the sign whilst still leaving the roof line, perhaps thusly...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacancy-dsc_9357_800.jpg  

I like the framing here, GB. I agree with DB suggestion of reducing the snow intensity to bring more attention to the sign, and the vignette helps in that. i alo think the colors are appealing here and maybe creating the affect of an old polaroid might be fitting.
    lots of potential, and a good base to start from
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Thanks everyone. I personally really like the subject matter here (I like old signs), but I had to work on this one quite a bit, compositionally, in Post processing.

Jeff, I also tried cropping that close, feeling that that shed or whatever did nothing for the image. But then it seems too lopsided, as there is too much empty space on the right. I tried removing that next, but then the image lost most of its context. Ahh...

Btw, "colours" eh... where are you from originally? Canada I am guessing.

D, good to hear from you again. How is China? I see what you mean about competition for attention. It's tough to solve that puzzle - when does the area around the subject compete, and when does it compliment? Someone told me that a great picture tells a story, meaning that everything that's happening around the subject. But I think isolating the subject works a lot of the time, too. The vignette looks good by the way, if not a little extreme with all that black. Perhaps I can try it with a dark gray and see what happens.

Gary, thanks, your critiques are always thought-provoking and extremely helpful. I love the idea of an old Polaroid. Any idea what colors those are? I know it when I see it, but hard to articulate. I will work on a vignette version.

Hard to believe Polaroid is out of biz btw ...

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Extreme? ME?!?
    Dee
    www.amomentisforever.com

Thread Information