Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Philly Cathedral - and a Photomatix Question

I was on a business trip to Philadelphia last week. I took this shot with my portable Sony camera set to auto bracketing (just got it for my wife last week). I did this HDR in Photomatix and quite like it. First of all, what do you think of the pic? I don't know why I like it, but I do ...Secondly, as you can see, it has Photomatix stamped all over it - because I am trying it ...what is your opinion of the program? Is it worth the $? I have Dynamic HDR and have like it so far - but Photomatix does some different stuff ...and the alignment / anti-ghosting seems to be great ...thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Philly Cathedral - and a Photomatix Question-phtomatix-door.jpg  

Re: Philly Cathedral - and a Photomatix Question

This is a very good shot and very good PP. I know that some people will not like it so much merely because it is HDR. But it is very sharp and clear (maybe the signs need a little sharpening).

I like it too
    I have the licence of photomatix, after trying othe hdr programs, oloneo , hdr effex, I think photomatix is better
    Aligning and antigosting do work but if you want high image quality do your bracketing with a solid tripod , and expect to do some additional processing.

I use photomatix for my bike shots, and have had great luck with it. In fact I just upgraded to the version 4 yesterday, and it looks like they've improved it even more.

I also agree that Photomatix is the king of HDR apps: well-worth the price and I have been using almost daily for 2.5+ years. Regarding the image, it is too illustrative for my tastes, but play with the techniques (try out exposure fusion mode) and settle into a style for your photography.

Maybe a little too much tone mapping, but I like the affect. I think I would straighten some of the lens distortion though. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

The red signs make this pop. I agree with OC, maybe too much for my liking also. The perspective can also be corrected, unless you want this bottom up look. This makes the door grander as it seems we're looking up to it.

For photomatrix. I bought it a long time ago and it just wasn't working for me. So I left it alone. it's just sitting there now. I might use it from time to time, but I've found the perfect HDR app for me in NIK HDR. It's just a lot more user friendly i think and works great. I'd advice maybe give it a try. They have a trial version that does NOT put watermarks on your work.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

I agree that its heavy on the tone mapping, but it works in that way of giving it a cartoonish feel. The signs and the light from the entrance make this really.

I agree with Terry about perspective and distortion adjustments Nicely framed
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Thread Information