Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Thread: More Snow

GB1

More Snow

Since the last batch generated a lot of great feedback, I dug through my December directory of unprocessed images for these.

One thing I'm a bit sad about is the far left side of the images, which seems to be soft in most all the shots. Pretty sure f 8.0 was plenty of DOF. Lens quality?. Maybe it was softness due to snowflakes melting on the lens? I will have to do some experiments here at home and see.

Gb

Ps - That's a shear cliff there in front of me, so had to be a little careful

Image # 1

Image # 2

Image # 3

Image # 4

Image # 5
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

GB1

Re: More Snow

No comments?

The more I examine them, the more I believe I made a big rookie mistake and simply didn't use a deep enough DOF.. f 8.0 didn't cut it.

G

My Site

Of the bunch, image number 4 works best for me in terms of composition and image number 5 in terms of colours. It looks like it was a difficult day to photograph in.

GB1

Thanks Herriot. Not that difficult a day, I think, as overcast days have their own merits: they can create a neat, gloomy feeling. I agree that a bright blue sky contrasting the white snow would have been better all around though.

Yes, I think the last one has the best color. The second from the last one has good dimensionality, but alas, no real subject

G

My Site

sorry for not commenting before

I like #3 and how the curve of the rock leads to the bush in the snow

My favorites are the first and last. The last one is so clear in the foreground that I kind of feel like the rock is right in front of me. Fantastic. Almost looks fill flashed. Also love the muted blues and greens to left.

I wonder if the the first could benefit from a little cropping from the top and in from the left? Again, I love how crisp and clear the bush is.

The others are good, too, but the haziness and flat light detract a little.
    Last edited by draymorton; 03-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.

I'm with the 1st and last also. The first could benefit from cropping out the rock on the left.
    the others are somewhat flat light and gray or underexposed some.
    nice set
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

GB1

Thanks everyone! I tried a crop on the top one, but it just seems sort of odd with that bush alone in the center. I kept cropping and cropping, and this is what I came up with (!) Seems to me that it reveals how underwhelming the bush is as subject... Sometimes an overall scene needs all its pieces to work.

Armando, that ledge was a bit scary, but I wish I could have posed a model on the right side empty area.

Dray, now that you mention it, # 5 does appear fill flashed. It wasn't though, so maybe the sun popped out right as I shot it.

Gary, here's the crop that you and Dray suggested. I feel like it's a haircut that took too much off.

G
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More Snow-dsc_8897_650.jpg  

My Site

You are pushing ever so close to hot white. Never actually going into it, but coming ever so close. In a couple of them, I'd prefer a slightly further from white highlight detail (not very much!). Yeah the dof definitely hurt the cliff images (just because you had to get that front rock in focus!). The second one looks like there is some muddy blue hue in the snow, and the bottom right is cut into a triangle. The yellow and green really bring color into it with the moss and trees, sort of sets it apart in the series. Good stuff GB keep it comin!

I agree also that the first one and the last one are the best. I also agree with Gary the exposure seems off on some of them. I think you could lose a little of the sky on the first one, the last edit is to tight. I also seem to see some curvature in the distat horizon again.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Thanks guys. I'm an idiot for not setting my aperture deep enough to get all in focus I guess I didn't properly check it using my DOF preview, figuring f 8.0 at 24 mm would be fine.

The truth is that I processed all these shots and adjusted their exposures, just not consistently. So, I believe the exposures were pretty much the same on all of them straight out of the camera... overcast days can be a little tricky on meters: you usually have to add 1/3 of a stop or more. But sunny days in the snow can be even crazier on meters.

Anbesol you may find this funny but I've never heard the description "hot white" till now, but I guess I understand it. Maybe there's a tint of red, or even blue that causes that. Yeah the compositions are a little different, for sure. None are classical, I think, but many are interesting in their own way, at least different shots to remember this place by.

Greg, you are the authority of earth curvature! We should call you Coriolis, or Magellan I also see the little tilt in number 2, it could be curvature. Funny though with the compositions: # 1 does have a lot of sky, but when I crop it, it seems loses something. It's like the image is about the 'big sky' and taking that away is a cryin' shame. Anyway, the last one is tight, but I'm not sure backing off would have made it better.. it's like the rock is the subject and the photo emphasizes that, but that the rock is too plain to be the subject Ahh, what can you do ...

G

My Site

Thread Information