Digital Cameras Forum

Digital Cameras Forum Discuss compact digital cameras or ask general digital photography questions - what camera to buy, memory cards, digital camera accessories, etc. You may also want to look at the Digital SLR forum, or the Camera Manufacturer forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital Camera Reviews >>
Digital Camera Buyers Guide >>

Samsung WB500 Pmode/M mode light issue?

Hello,
    I have a question relating to a rather older camera - WB500.

I was playing with it and I seem to either have some issues in adjusting the light in Manual and program modes, or it's impossible to do and I just need someone to confirm my fear :-)
    I was trying to take nice night pics, in black at white, center of the city so lots of lamps and lights around. However, when I try to set it f3.3, iso 1600 and t1/125 (to take snapshots of people moving) it's way to dark, switching to iso 3200 causes lots of grainage and is still quite dark. the only thing that helps is moving t1/125 to t1/30 - it becomes lighted but the grainage is still quite large and the pics are not as stable, so you can see movement. I tried the same thing with Pmode - and true, it is lighter and no grainage since i can easily use iso 800, but then the snapshot is impossible - you can see people, cars everything moving. switching to t1/250 does not really help...

anyone has any advise how to improve light on the M mode, or make it more stable on P mode?

during the day I have no problem with the camera....

thx!
    Malarek

Re: Samsung WB500 Pmode/M mode light issue?

Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com, Malarek! From your description, you're just discovering how exposure works. When you increase ISO you increase grain/noise. And when you use a slow shutter speed, you get camera shake. If you want good night shots, the solution is a tripod. A tripod and timer will allow you to use lower ISO settings to keep the noise low, and use slow shutter speeds without getting camera shake.

For future reference, here's an article on the basic principles of exposure. Bookmark it, practice and experiment. It will start to make sense

Photography Exposure Primer >>

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions. We're here to help. And post some photos! I would love to see your photos from Poland!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Samsung WB500 Pmode/M mode light issue?

well, the reason why i want this night photography to work is that i want to take pics of people - street photography... so, a tripod is usually not the case... hence i guess my only solution will be a slr? one more question then - in Pmode - is it customary that only the iso and exposure can be changed, while apreture and shutter can't be adjusted?
    Thank you in advance for the answer :-)
    Actually - I am currently based in NL, but here you have some older pics from PL :-)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...1413.696885810
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=696885810

Malarek

Thread Information