Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oasis - HDR Series

Sorry about all the new threads. It's been a while since I've shared so much. I'm usually calmer than this and comment on other people's work more than posting my own, but this software I'm using is in demo mode. lol. and it's about to expire

Actually this is one software I think i'm gonna buy. I love the control. I've been searching forever for HDR software that gives me all the control I need and I finally found it.

All feed back appreciate it! I also like negative/constructive criticism. don't hold back.
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Nikon Samurai #23 - The Alexei Ponikarovsky of PR

Havana Cuba Photography

Re: Oasis - HDR Series

I like the HDRs you've been posting.

Which software are you using?
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

http://guzziknight.smugmug.com/

This is excellent, Liban. I immediately like what i see when i view it, so first impression is a go
    Now for nitpiks. I think a bit more space behind the volkswagon would help, just a bit. I like the people standing as they seem to be peering into the Record store? I Am not sure that i like all clumped together with their backs to us, but like I said thats a nit pik and they very much add to the scene as they are. I was thinking about the bright light/hotspot on the middle column, but after some thought I feel you can leave that alone.

Really fine image, Liban
    Last edited by gahspidy; 02-07-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Sticking as Featured Photo. February 7, 2011
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

D80. 50mm 1.8, 17-55 2.8. SB 600. DLB1973's Avatar

Nice work on this. Very even in the application of HDR. Long live old VW's.
    db

I echo Gary's comment other than the people. They are a little blurred and that might be a problem in large print. I really like that bug. My sister had one when we were teenagers and it was a sweet little ride.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

hey guzziknight, I'm using the demo version of NIK hdr software. It's totally awesome.

Gary, Yeah, I've actually cloned in a bit of space behind the bug to give it space, it was actually tighter than this if you can imagine. but yeah i totally wish I had given it more space when shooting this. I think it's a small bar/disco this palce. yeah, i think it would've been better had it been just 1 person maybe leaning on that column or something. i also noticed the middle column and how blown out it is, I tried to fix it and thought it looked worse so i just left it in. thanks for the feedback!

thanks DB

Greg, This originally wasn't meant to be an HDR but a slow shutter night shot (my usual stuff) and hence the bluriness of the people. if I had this HDR stuff in mind, I would've stopped down and gotten everything sharp but underexposed then worked on it in PP, Yeah those bugs where so versitile and awesome!
    Liban

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have." Nelson Mandela

Havana Cuba Photography

I tired the Nik software, and just wasn't thrilled. Lots of control, to be sure, but it can't import DNG images, they have to be saved as Tiffs first. A pain to deal with in my workflow, since I save everything as DNGs.

I've been using HDR Expose for the most part, and Photomatix when I want a different look.
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

Such a Nice shot !

Love the line of old buildings in the background. As mentioned there is very little room behind the car.

I find it interesting that al your habana night shots look sort of gloomy and with just a few people on the streets, this is not a critique just and observation.

I also like the control I get from using the nik software, fast and easy at least for me that I have been slow, lazy and to cheap to use layers or buy the software that does it

I'm puzzle why they offer most fo their nik plugins for capture nx2 but not HDR

About the bug, I rode in my Dad's VW all the time during my chilhood, first in bugs then a VAN then a Rabbit, in fact I stopped having VW vehicles until about 6 months ago. My wife still doubts I'm done with VW

Quote Originally Posted by guzziknight
    I tired the Nik software, and just wasn't thrilled. Lots of control, to be sure, but it can't import DNG images, they have to be saved as Tiffs first. A pain to deal with in my workflow, since I save everything as DNGs.

I've been using HDR Expose for the most part, and Photomatix when I want a different look.
    Since you are using DNG, there is a good chance you are using Lightroom. If so, just set NIK up so that you can 'Send' from LR and it will render the DNG and hand it off as a TIFF (at least it does for Photomatix). - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Since you are using DNG, there is a good chance you are using Lightroom. If so, just set NIK up so that you can 'Send' from LR and it will render the DNG and hand it off as a TIFF (at least it does for Photomatix). - Terry
    Yep, tried that as well. Trouble is, HDR Expose works well enough for what I do, so it isn't worth spending the money right now. I do use LR3, and have sent images that way, but it seems to be faster and better using the program directly, for me.
    Olympus E-P1
    Olympus E-PL2
    14-42mm, 11-22mm

I love this shot!

guzziknight, I haven't even heard of DNG before today. Reading Terry's comment clarified that it's probably a Light Room thing. Can't you go from DNG to Jpeg? Tiff's are too big and even if jpeg is a bit lossy, it really doesn't do much if you don't constantly resave it.

Armando, lol @ gloomy. it might be the old buildings and my late night shooting rendering less people on the streets. I like late night because of that. it gives a nice atmosphere, imagine if it wasn't so late, the streets would be bustling with people and cars. Thanks!

Thanks Don!
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

GB1

Beautiful subject for an HDR. You certain didn't overwhelm us with the effect and it's certainly a good thing here. As much as I hate to say it, I really prefer that the people weren't in the shot in this one. Not just because they're blurry, but because I think the bug being parked outside in a desolate street like this, and throw in the establishment is called Oasis, I think it would be more mysterious as a solo act. That blasted near column's a bit of a pain too, makes you have to think on the name

Btw, I've never used NIK. I use Photomatix right now, and CS5's HDR utility is also worthy. Great to see another thrown into the mix.

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The most successful of these HDRs. Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeIs
    guzziknight, I haven't even heard of DNG before today. Reading Terry's comment clarified that it's probably a Light Room thing.
    DNG is the Adobe RAW format that they put together in hopes that all the camera companies would adopt it as a standard. NOT. A couple of the smaller companies use it. Also, if you have an old version of an Adobe product (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) that does not support your newer camera RAW file, you can always convert the your RAW to DNG and the program will support it. - Terry
    Last edited by OldClicker; 02-01-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Good idea with the peopleless (only car) idea tying with the oasis GB. Hadn't thought of that. Yeah, you should def. give nik a try. I sound like a salesman for that company now. lol.

Seth, thank you!

Thanks for clarifying Terry.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

I agree crop the people out...but that is just me.

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Leels:

I think you have a really nice piece of work. The mood set by the colors and texture of the HDR is a winner. I do not mind the people, blurred or not. The mytery of what they are looking at adds to the overall presence of the scene. VW is the hit of the shot. I have never used/tried HDR to know how difficult this composite is to create. But, you did a nice job.

David
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Very damn cool that this got featured. Really great work.

Here I go again, not realizing my photo was featured.

Thank you all!
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

CF, it's not that time consuming, HDR isnt' done manually, but through specialized software. You just have to either bracket your shot, using the tripod. or you can shoot a RAW and generate 3-4 shots at different exposures and then run them through the HDR software. You should give it a go.
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Congrats on the Sticky. Beautiful shot.
    Ed

Congratulations on the sticky!

Great shot Leels, I already have some images that I took with HDR in mind so may well try this software out as well, your images are so inspiring and I think this is the best to date, great result.

Kind regards
    Herriot

Thanks again guys. Appreciate it!

Also, Herriot, looking forward to seeing your creations!
    Liban

Havana Cuba Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information