Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

Autofocus problem with D300s

Hi -I have a D300s about 9 months old and have problems with autofocus. Although I shoot manually most of the time, but around the holidays it is easy to point and shoot especially with kids and pets.
    The camera will autofocus for one or two pictures, then it will sort of go to infinity and back and never focus. I tried restoring camera back to original factory but no help. The only thing that works is if I perform another action with the camera like, turn on live recording and shut it off, or shoot one manual picture and then go back to auto, then it's fine.
    Any ideas? I have tried all my lenses and they all do the same thing. I also uograded firmeware last week.
    Thanks for any help
    Joe
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

GB1

Re: Autofocus problem with D300s

Hmm. I can't think of anything beyond what you've already tried Joe. Is it under warranty? I believe they have a 1 year warranty if you didn't get it gray market (a lot of folks do). I did get a lot of AF 'hunting' on my D200 before, but it was usually because it the subject had no contrast or it was too dark outside.

-G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Hmm. I can't think of anything beyond what you've already tried Joe. Is it under warranty? I believe they have a 1 year warranty if you didn't get it gray market (a lot of folks do). I did get a lot of AF 'hunting' on my D200 before, but it was usually because it the subject had no contrast or it was too dark outside.

-G
    I bought it from Amazon.com and it wasn't shipped by a 3rd party, so they should honor the warranty if it is a year. I hate to send it out and find out it is something I can correct from here. I mean...once you take a manual picture or turn the live recording on and off it stays fine. According to the owners manual, it says if your camera will not auto focus, you may have another operation going on at the same time. I wonder maybe if I am hitting a button with my left hand or something? I wonder which button would cause a camera to stop focusing, if any? Thanks for your reply!
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

NSSA/AIPS

first which AF selection are you using, S or C (switch on the front)? Then how are you designation where the AF is supposed to focus? single area, or one of the group settings (these were on the back of my D-200). Next how much light is here available, and what is the effective F-stop of he lens? Nikon's AF is finicky around f5.6, and they have a difficult time with low contrast subjects as mentioned.. I found my D-200 tended to hunt more or miss focus when trying to use single area focus. Just some thoughts. Depending upon when you purchased the body, it may have a five year warrantee... Grey Market refers to to where the vendor acquired the camera, as opposed to whether it was shipped from an Amazon reseller. The simple test is if it did not come with an Nikon USA warrantee, then it's likely grey market, and no one is going to repair it. Amazon is reputable, however, so you ought to have a US market camera. There are some other ways to distinguish Grey Market from legit cameras, google will probably point them up.
    It's not about the camera....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris350
    first which AF selection are you using, S or C (switch on the front)? Then how are you designation where the AF is supposed to focus? single area, or one of the group settings (these were on the back of my D-200). Next how much light is here available, and what is the effective F-stop of he lens? Nikon's AF is finicky around f5.6, and they have a difficult time with low contrast subjects as mentioned.. I found my D-200 tended to hunt more or miss focus when trying to use single area focus. Just some thoughts. Depending upon when you purchased the body, it may have a five year warrantee... Grey Market refers to to where the vendor acquired the camera, as opposed to whether it was shipped from an Amazon reseller. The simple test is if it did not come with an Nikon USA warrantee, then it's likely grey market, and no one is going to repair it. Amazon is reputable, however, so you ought to have a US market camera. There are some other ways to distinguish Grey Market from legit cameras, google will probably point them up.
    OK, I use the "S" selection and I use the single area for AF focus - I tried to switch to "C" and change the focus area but no help there. As far as light, this happens indoors with low light, or outdoors with sun, so that isn't it. The F stop on auto is usually at 5.6 most of the time...Could that be the issue? And why does it work AFTER I take a pic in manual???

In any event - I called Amazon and they are sending me a return box. Now...I don't know if I want a refund or replacement? I would say get a refund and buy the camaera from a dealer???
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

NSSA/AIPS

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman1952
    OK, I use the "S" selection and I use the single area for AF focus - I tried to switch to "C" and change the focus area but no help there. As far as light, this happens indoors with low light, or outdoors with sun, so that isn't it. The F stop on auto is usually at 5.6 most of the time...Could that be the issue? And why does it work AFTER I take a pic in manual???

In any event - I called Amazon and they are sending me a return box. Now...I don't know if I want a refund or replacement? I would say get a refund and buy the camera from a dealer???
    hmm beats me at this point. When you changed the focus area, did you also try one of the other AF groupings? I assume you did, but just want to make sure. Last thing I would try is a different lens if you haven't already. When you say you use manual exactly how are you shooting manual? AF selector in M or are you using an AF-S type lens and overriding the AF? If It's an AF-S lens the possibility that the clutch that allows the manual focus ring to override the AF is not working properly. Again I would suggest trying another lens before you ship the camera off. Last option would be to have a local dealer look at both the camera and lens and advise.
    Sounds like the AF is out though. I'd consider the replacement, as long as it comes from an Authorized Nikon Dealer, one is no different than the another. I guess, I would contact the good folks at Amazon and inquire. As long as the new one carries the Nikon USA warranty it doesn't matter from whence it comes.
    It's not about the camera....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris350
    hmm beats me at this point. When you changed the focus area, did you also try one of the other AF groupings? I assume you did, but just want to make sure. Last thing I would try is a different lens if you haven't already. When you say you use manual exactly how are you shooting manual? AF selector in M or are you using an AF-S type lens and overriding the AF? If It's an AF-S lens the possibility that the clutch that allows the manual focus ring to override the AF is not working properly. Again I would suggest trying another lens before you ship the camera off. Last option would be to have a local dealer look at both the camera and lens and advise.
    Sounds like the AF is out though. I'd consider the replacement, as long as it comes from an Authorized Nikon Dealer, one is no different than the another. I guess, I would contact the good folks at Amazon and inquire. As long as the new one carries the Nikon USA warranty it doesn't matter from whence it comes.
    Well thanks or everyone's help. I have tried everything and it sometimes just doesn't focus unless I go manual and then back. Very odd. The funny thing is, when I googled this issue, there seems to be literally thousands of people with the same problem
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

Well thanks or everyone's help. I have tried everything and it sometimes just doesn't focus unless I go manual and then back. Very odd. The funny thing is, when I googled this issue, there seems to be literally thousands of people with the same problem

That is good you found lots with the problem, that means when you send it in to Nikon they will fix it. My 300s focuses fast and accurate and always has. I did have an issue with it with one lens a few months ago. It was sluggish on frame rate during continuous shooting. I believe it didn't have focus lock and wouldn't fire at the max rate. In the end I think it was dirty contacts on the lens and camera. Cleaned them off and no problems since.

Make sure you are focusing on things that have some contrast. Without it, it cant decide and will hunt. The 300s has one of the best AF systems on the market and should be a rocket. So if you are not in the dark, shooting a single color featureless item it should be performing. Another thing is if you are shooting Manual focus most of the time you are missing out on that cameras strongest asset, its awesome AF system.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog
    That is good you found lots with the problem, that means when you send it in to Nikon they will fix it. My 300s focuses fast and accurate and always has. I did have an issue with it with one lens a few months ago. It was sluggish on frame rate during continuous shooting. I believe it didn't have focus lock and wouldn't fire at the max rate. In the end I think it was dirty contacts on the lens and camera. Cleaned them off and no problems since.

Make sure you are focusing on things that have some contrast. Without it, it cant decide and will hunt. The 300s has one of the best AF systems on the market and should be a rocket. So if you are not in the dark, shooting a single color featureless item it should be performing. Another thing is if you are shooting Manual focus most of the time you are missing out on that cameras strongest asset, its awesome AF system.
    Thanks for the reply! I thought I was doing the right thing by using manual focus?? The "PROS" frown at me when I say I shoot some pics auto....If that is a strong point of the camera, why waste time and count on my 58 year old eye when I have a 300s? Thanks for that tip!
    Anyway, I took over 100 Christmas photos and the camera only failed to focus once, and that was a dark area with no contrast. That's the key.....There is nothing wrong with it at all. It's just that sometimes I am shooting a picture in low light. I didn't think that mattered, but the 300s is sensitive to that.
    Thanks again! P.S. When it is time to clean the contacts, what is the best method?
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

This sounds like a lens problem to me.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    This sounds like a lens problem to me.
    Don't think so - I have tried all my lenses and the camera has a hard time focusing in poorly lit areas. I think they all do
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

Don't think so - I have tried all my lenses and the camera has a hard time focusing in poorly lit areas. I think they all do
    Ok. I've just had a similar experience when the AF system / motor jams up while focusing. And it usually happens in hard to focus situations. It's like the lens and camera just get confused and lock up. And in my experience it's usually only been with specific lenses. It most recently happened to me with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM OS lens on a D7000. In that case it was super cold and snowing and it could be snow in the air was the cause of the problem. Regardless, once it happened it was difficult to get the auto focus working again.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Ok. I've just had a similar experience when the AF system / motor jams up while focusing. And it usually happens in hard to focus situations. It's like the lens and camera just get confused and lock up. And in my experience it's usually only been with specific lenses. It most recently happened to me with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM OS lens on a D7000. In that case it was super cold and snowing and it could be snow in the air was the cause of the problem. Regardless, once it happened it was difficult to get the auto focus working again.
    Sounds like the problem I have since my lenses are both zoom also, I suppose anything is possible. Both my lenses are Nikon lenses, but I don't think that matters. I guess the best thing to do is to bring it to a camera shop and have them try it with various lenses, but it is going to be herd to reproduce the problem since it doesn't always happen.
    Thanks Photo-John for your input. If I were to clean the contacts, what is the procedure??
    Have a good day!
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

When people speak of shooting manual they usually mean shoot manual exposure mode. Where you set the shutter speed, aperture and iso manually without the camera doing it for you. Even that is not always the way to go. Just in some situations manual gives you the best results.

For your focus issue in low light, make sure your auto focus assist light is not turned off in your menus. And if it is on, it will only come on if you use the center focus point or auto area focus. Then, it will come on and let you focus in almost total darkness.

When people speak of shooting manual they usually mean shoot manual exposure mode. Where you set the shutter speed, aperture and iso manually without the camera doing it for you. Even that is not always the way to go. Just in some situations manual gives you the best results.

For your focus issue in low light, make sure your auto focus assist light is not turned off in your menus. And if it is on, it will only come on if you use the center focus point or auto area focus. Then, it will come on and let you focus in almost total darkness.

BINGO! Zerodog you the man! I guess in resetting the camera back to factory or whenever, the auto focus assist light was OFF....Issue solved. Thanks a million for that. Maybe I can help some others out there having the same issue.
    Peace!
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

Now practice your joystick thumb to move your focus point around to one of the wonderful 51 points in your viewfinder and give your eyes a break and let your awesome camera do some of the heavy lifting for you.

Now practice your joystick thumb to move your focus point around to one of the wonderful 51 points in your viewfinder and give your eyes a break and let your awesome camera do some of the heavy lifting for you.
    Thanks a million! - Just for curiosity...how do YOU set your focus...on single????

I toyed around with setting it different and it gets confusing to me seeing a bunch of red squares as focus points :-)
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

You got some manual reading to do!

There is a switch on the back with 3 settings. Auto area, a single point dynamic for continous auto focus tracking, and just single point.
    In auto area it will pick what the camera thinks is relavant and average the points to get an image that has those points mostly in focus. Great for a group shot or if you are holding your camera above your head and can't see what you are focusing on.

The dynamic one is for moving objects. It works with your AF system to track a moving subject.

The single point is like the dynamic point. You pick it, but this time it doesn't move. Great for still objects or portraits. This is critcal when using shallow DOF to get the spot you want in focus.

All of this is on page 76 of that fat manual you have kickin around somewhere.

I went to a seminar one time and the pro giving it gave some awesome advise. He said, "read your manual. Read cover to cover. Memorize it. Then read it some more."

Our cameras have so many settings. The more advanced they get the more you need to set them right. If you don't, your camera will produce bad photos. Your 300s is right there There is no "AUTO" setting. Go to a D3 above the 300s and you even have more settings and options.. And less auto anything. So more manual reading.......

You got some manual reading to do!

There is a switch on the back with 3 settings. Auto area, a single point dynamic for continous auto focus tracking, and just single point.
    In auto area it will pick what the camera thinks is relavant and average the points to get an image that has those points mostly in focus. Great for a group shot or if you are holding your camera above your head and can't see what you are focusing on.

The dynamic one is for moving objects. It works with your AF system to track a moving subject.

The single point is like the dynamic point. You pick it, but this time it doesn't move. Great for still objects or portraits. This is critcal when using shallow DOF to get the spot you want in focus.

All of this is on page 76 of that fat manual you have kickin around somewhere.

I went to a seminar one time and the pro giving it gave some awesome advise. He said, "read your manual. Read cover to cover. Memorize it. Then read it some more."

Our cameras have so many settings. The more advanced they get the more you need to set them right. If you don't, your camera will produce bad photos. Your 300s is right there There is no "AUTO" setting. Go to a D3 above the 300s and you even have more settings and options.. And less auto anything. So more manual reading.......
    Thanks the tips about reading LOL!!!
    Yes, I missed a seminar here and sorry I did. I will read my manual today. I am missing out on a lot of great picture taking. Have a good New Year!
    Joe Cal

SHOOT TILL YOU DROP

Thread Information