Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: FIBT World Cup

FIBT World Cup

Shots from the FIBT World Cup stop in Park City, Utah... it's the final day of competition, all of which was the 4-man bobsled races (men's race).

Equip:
    Body: Nikon D300
    Lens: Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6
    ISO: 800-1600
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FIBT World Cup-pulling_gs.jpg   FIBT World Cup-eye-popping_torque.jpg   FIBT World Cup-ahead_of_the_curve.jpg   FIBT World Cup-climbing_the_wall.jpg  

So Cool!

Man, I need to get up there and shoot some bobsled action. I really like these photos. Your did a good job. We you pre-focusing or using continous AF? How fast were they going in these photos? Do you have any idea?

Unless something spectacular shows up in the next week, I vote for these as the next Featured Photo! Smartwombat chooses them so it's up to him. But I think it would be cool to have a bobsled photo as the weekly featured.

Have you posted any reviews here yet? I am sure we could use a review for the Sigma 100-400mm zoom
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: FIBT World Cup

I did both. I'd pre-focus and pan with the sled, knowing I would only get one or two shots in focus. I had it on continuous focus too, and tried to keep the sled in focus after it passed through the area I was working on... not much success with that, though.

So, the PA announcer said that (at the spot on the track that I took the ones that are up on the wall) they were going mid- to upper-80's. The Canadian sled was at the bottom of the run and they were pushing low-90's. It's amazing how fast that is... the rail to keep spectators back only keeps you back 3 feet from the track in most places!

This Saturday, Photo-John, at like 11:30 and 3:30, at the Olympic Park is the World Cup for luge... I was thinking about going up, camera in tow. Also... the Oval is hosting US Short Track Speed Skating Championships on Saturday/Sunday... FYI

That'd be awesome if one of the photos were featured! I'd love it!

I've never written a review and wouldn't mind doing one on the Sigma 120-400 f/4.5-56. Are there formats to follow in writing a review or is it a free-writing exercise?

Thanks, Photo-John!

-Scott

Well done. Stuff that is moving that fast is tough. Killer sharpness on all of these.

awesome shots!!!

You got it, buddy! Smartwombat was busy yesterday and I beat him to the punch on picking this week's Featured Photo. You are the man! Your photo is at the top of this forum, on the Home page and I just posted a link on the PhotographyREVIEW.com Facebook page. Thanks for sharing these. It's always fun to see different sports show up on this forum

About the review - the foundation of this site is user reviews. There aren't really any rules, just a form to fill it. Pretty easy, huh? Here's a link to the Sigma 120-400mm OS HSM review page. Just click on the green "Write A Review" button and tell us what you think:

http://www.photographyreview.com/cat...7_3128crx.aspx

Thanks in advance for the review. If it's a good one I might make it a Featured User Review and you'll make it onto the Home page again! Not sure if I can give you that much attention, though
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information