Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Local Downhill Bike Race Photos

This Sunday I shot a local (Monteray Ca.) downhill bike race. I basically rained the whole day and was great exercise in trying to keep dry. The lack of sun meant that I got to play with my flash and Second Shutter Sync. Here are some that I like:

Panning with 1/125 shutter

Hard to motion blur when they are headed right at you

This guy was flying

This guy's tire just about hit my lens

Another flyby and buzz the photographer

This series of races are basically homegrown and very low-key. Here are people are waiting for the results (all the smart ones are in their cars drying out). Gives you an idea of the amount of rain.

Still it was a fun day trying to stay dry and still be able to shoot.

Any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me

Regards
    Rick

Re: Local Downhill Bike Race Photos

Nice stuff, Rick! I think you could go a little darker on your ambient exposure if you're using flash. It will help keep your subject sharp and make them pop out of the background a little more. Of the photos you posted I like the first one the most because the background tells part of the story. I like to leave a bit of singletrack in a photo because it gives a better feel for the ride and shows either where the rider came from or is going. That expands the photo into more of just one frozen moment.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

All nice action shots but my eyes are drawn to the first pic! Nice motion blur....

Very nice pictures!!! like the first one.
    What setup (spec) did you use for the panning one?
    I would like to give it a try on this effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7D
    Very nice pictures!!! like the first one.
    What setup (spec) did you use for the panning one?
    I would like to give it a try on this effect.
    Thanks.

The shutter was set for 1/125 at f4 (using 24-105) in Tv mode. Additionally, the flash was set for "second shutter sync" which fires the flash near the end of the exposure (which shows movement behind the subject) rather the beginning of the exposure. Using this flash mode really helps with the motion blur as it allows a slower shutter with the resultant motion blur looking normal. I typically vary between 1/90 and 1/250 depending on how fast and the angle of the subject in relationship to me and the amount of blur I want in the photo (you can have too much).

Panning with the camera is essential to the motion blur and is a technique that must be practiced (at least in my case). It lowers my keeper rate considerably. Basically, you are following the subject with the camera at the speed of the subject (easy to say, harder to do) so that the subject is in the same spot in the veiwfinder at the beginning as the end of the shot. I have found that using a fixed focus point in the veiwfinder really helps me to keep the camera fixed on the subject (it also helps the camera from focusing on something other than what you want in focus).

Best way to find out if you like this technique, is to go out and practice. Just as the riders practice the course, I'm practicing the panning speed and shutter speeds. Try different shutter speeds and different panning angles and speeds (that why I like bike races, they go around a couple of times)

Sorry for being so long winded, but once you understand the practice it is easy, but there are a couple of requirements to make it work. Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards
    Rick

Thanks for the info.
    did you used a external flash? (I have a 7D and it is built in flash)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7D
    Thanks for the info.
    did you used a external flash? (I have a 7D and it is built in flash)

I use an 580EX flash set to Second Shutter Sync (a button on the flash). I think you can set the internal flash to this sync in the settings. The flash really helps the keeper rate as it really stops the motion. I do not know if it will have the range needed for your shots.

While I have used just the panning technique (w/o Flash) to get the motion blur, it is a little harder to do (read; I need to practice more) and you might need to use a slightly faster shutter speed.

At worst, practice on cars driving by with various shutter speeds and see what works.

Regards
    Rick

Thread Information