Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

How To Photograph Boxing

I'm going to my first boxing event on the 20th, pros but not yet "name" fighters. I have a Canon T2i and after reading as much as I could the subject the past couple of days I ordered the Canon 50mm f1.8 lens. If I am going to have more opportunities to shoot boxing, I may get a second lens. However, this one was mentioned in quite a few of the things I read so I figure I am ok for this fight.

I am not credentialed but have a seat in first row of spectators.

I have a lot of questions that I am hoping those of you who photograph boxing can help me with:

1. I read it was recommended to use a left or right point rather than the center (although others recommended using center point). What is the reason for that? Is it because it increases the likelihood of getting both fighters in the frame and in focus, or is there some other reason. On my own, I would have used center point thinking this best way to get both fighters.

2. What white balance do you use? Tungsten or fluorescent depending on light? Auto? Or something else?

3. Since I will not be ringside shooting under the ropes, the ropes will be between me and the fighters. Any suggestions on how to keep the camera from focusing on the ropes.? I don't know how much of the fighters upper body I will see from my seat, but I was thinking of trying to keep the focus on whatever there is as as means of keeping the camera focus on the fighters. Will this work, or is there a better way? I can see where using just one focus point may help reduce the chance of locking on the ropes.

4. In some articles I read they said to use manual focus, others advised auto focus. I have no confidence in my ability to manually focus the camera, plus everything else that needs to be on my mind. Why do some say use manual focus?

5. What about a lens hood? a couple articles said this was important to minimize flare from the lights. What are your thoughts on that?

6. One, maybe 2 things I read recommended setting exposure compensation to +1 or +1.5, but most said nothing about exposure compensation. What are your thoughts on that?

7. Am I right in thinking that if I use just one focus point, whether center or left or right, that I would need to have the camera in the "one-shot" setting when continuous shooting and not in AI Focus or AI Seervo?

I am very excited about attending my first boxing event and hoping to get at least a few good shots. I'll be shooting .jpg and continuous shooting when the fighters are in contact with ISO on auto and freedom to go 1600.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Re: How To Photograph Boxing

The main thing you need to remember is the light sucks way more than you can imagine. Even if it is a huge event, the light sucks. You will need to crank the ISO as high as you can without becoming un usable. So you will need to do some NR in PP. No flash ever in fight photos. This was done in the past but is a straight up no no now.

So things to do to battle the bad light and high ISO noise.
    #1 get your exposure right in the camera. If anything a little on the bright side. If you lighten at all........ NOISE. Use spot metering, or manual exposure to get the subject exposed right, not the entire room.
    #1 get your WB right with the custom WB. Use a grey card or even better yet an Expodisc. If you dont get it right........... NOISE!
    #2 JPG can be your friend if you get these right. Faster frame rate, in camera processing, and in the end less time on your ass in front of the computer. But RAW will give you more room for adjustment. Just don't do it because everyone says it is "cool".
    #3 Have fun!

Otherwise with your seating and limited lenses it will be luck too. Follow the fight with your camera and practice you focus techniques. See what you can do.

Thread Information